OT: Connor nominated for the Lindsay

oobga

Tier 2 Fan
Aug 1, 2003
Wonder if players operate with the opinion that a player can't be outstanding if the rest of his team is mediocre to poor. I doubt they do, more likely work off their personal experience on the ice and opinions of fellow players.

Reactions: Supermassive

OilerSuperstar17

Oct 5, 2012
Wonder if players operate with the opinion that a player can't be outstanding if the rest of his team is mediocre to poor. I doubt they do, more likely work off their personal experience on the ice and opinions of fellow players.

I think players tend to look at the individual more than the team.

Reactions: Aerrol

Hynh

Jun 19, 2012
The lack of Kucherov bodes well for Connor since it means most votes were cast after McDavid passed Kucherov for the scoring lead. In years past there are rumors that players started voting in March.

Supermassive

HISS, HISS
Feb 19, 2007
Sherwood Park

They're smarter than the sports media, imo. Also less inclined to showboat their vote for personal biases and favoritism. The bar for sports media integrity seems awfully low at present. Most of the media members I have remaining respect for are, in fact, former players.

Draw Me a McElephant

Mar 9, 2011
I understand why some wouldn't pick a player from a losing team to win the MVP, but "most outstanding player"? That's McDavid. It should be a complete no-brainer.

ResilientBeast

Proud Member of the TTSAOA
Jul 1, 2012
Edmonton
Media shouldn't be voting for any award. Players voting or GM's voting should be the criteria for every award. Media voting is how you end up with Landeskog beating RNH for the Calder.

The players aren't the best choice either. By a lot of their accounts they don't watch much hockey

Reactions: Gord

Staghorn

Jul 7, 2013
I understand why some wouldn't pick a player from a losing team to win the MVP, but "most outstanding player"? That's McDavid. It should be a complete no-brainer.

I agree no-brainer..... lots of points shouldn’t equal MVP... he should not win. Look at how Hall elevated his whole team... heck look at Crosby in the playoffs OMg... THAT is elevating to MVP status... racking up points on a junk team is next to meaningless.

cpsman

Aug 18, 2010
They should have an award where the posters on HFBoards get to vote on best player lol

Reactions: Aerrol

VainGretzky

Jun 4, 2015
Media shouldn't be voting for any award. Players voting or GM's voting should be the criteria for every award. Media voting is how you end up with Landeskog beating RNH for the Calder.
Media voting is no different than fans voting , it's a joke , and when you see idiots like Spector totally contradicting himself in ways not to vote for McDavid just shows the ignorant bias these hacks have , I think it would be a no brainer to have former players and people actually involed within the hockey circles controlling theses votes. Writers are not the same as 20-25 years ago they now communicate on social media and create a hivemind about players. Landeskog is a good example of this.

McJadeddog

Sep 25, 2003
Regina, Saskatchewan
Media voting is no different than fans voting , it's a joke , and when you see idiots like Spector totally contradicting himself in ways not to vote for McDavid just shows the ignorant bias these hacks have , I think it would be a no brainer to have former players and people actually involed within the hockey circles controlling theses votes. Writers are not the same as 20-25 years ago they now communicate on social media and create a hivemind about players. Landeskog is a good example of this.

Yeah, can you remember the circle-jerk that the media was about Landeskog after his rookie year? It was all "intangibles this, and intangibles that". He's a good player, but they were talking about him like he was the assured next Toews-like player.

Reactions: VainGretzky

nightfighter

Aug 31, 2008
Yeah, can you remember the circle-jerk that the media was about Landeskog after his rookie year? It was all "intangibles this, and intangibles that". He's a good player, but they were talking about him like he was the assured next Toews-like player.

The biggest piss-off was that RNH's injury limited rookie season was used as a reason why he didn't win ("Durability is a skill!" barf!) Then the narrative gets flipped for other players like Mackinnon this year or Crosby in the past ("His PPG is higher! His pro-rated stats will be higher!")

I guess consistency in judging anything is too much to ask for these days.

KingKhron

Sep 8, 2008
I agree no-brainer..... lots of points shouldn’t equal MVP... he should not win. Look at how Hall elevated his whole team... heck look at Crosby in the playoffs OMg... THAT is elevating to MVP status... racking up points on a junk team is next to meaningless.
Hall had the biggest point spread between the top scorer and the second highest on any team in the league, so how did he elevate his team?? Did he get sent back like John Connor and father Cory Schneider or something?

Supermassive

HISS, HISS
Feb 19, 2007
Sherwood Park
Hall had the biggest point spread between the top scorer and the second highest on any team in the league, so how did he elevate his team?? Did he get sent back like John Connor and father Cory Schneider or something?

Into the playoffs. To being a far, far better team than they’d be without him. Not a difficult concept.

Do you really think that a team’s top scorer, with high-scoring teammates, is solely responsible for elevating their point totals singlehandedly? lol

nexttothemoon

and again...
Jan 30, 2010
Northern AB
I'm betting if you asked MacKinnon and Hall who the best player in the league was they'd both agree it's McDavid.

McDavid would obviously be too modest to claim that title for himself and would likely say he still has areas of his game to work on that he needs to improve and that it's a team game and team success is what hockey is all about.

KingKhron

Sep 8, 2008
Into the playoffs. To being a far, far better team than they’d be without him. Not a difficult concept.

Do you really think that a team’s top scorer, with high-scoring teammates, is solely responsible for elevating their point totals singlehandedly? lol
We would have made Buffalo look like a Stanley Cup contender without McDavid. It’s a pretty easy concept to understand what an award for best player in the league is and who it should go to. You’ll figure it out, I’m sure.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->