Connor Murphy Eval

jacobhockey13

used to watch hockey, then joined HF Boards
Apr 17, 2014
on the bench
I also posted this on the trade board and the Hawks board. General thoughts on Murphy.

Our board is a bit split on Murphy. We all like his commitment and attitude. No questions there.

We also like his physical play, he's one of the few guys who can clear a crease but whether the NHL continues to move away from allowing guys to do that is anybody's guess.

I also suspect that Murphy will look better just being on as good of a team as Chicago. For years now he's been straddled with bad parters who made defensive gaffes and a bad forward core.

Off the rush is where he's most vulnerable in my mind. Players can possibly exploit him by either going wide with speed or making quick cuts. He's not a bad skater in general but it would really serve him well to improve skating backwards and become smoother in that area.

On the other hand, with the puck established in his own zone, he's a good defender. He doesn't leave guys open, plays a simple game, and generally doesn't give up much.

He's reliable breaking out and though he isn't one of those rare defenders with "vision", his passing is really accurate. He also has nice slap shot.

For years he's had "potential" because he was really impressive as a young rookie but hasn't really improved much. But AZ was also a much better team when he came in the league, so that's something to consider.

Naych_PHX

Feeling Salty
Jun 14, 2004
phoenix
His skating isn't a problem. He's a big, lanky body. You won't have many complaints about him unless he's injured or not scoring.

Hinterland

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2016
His skating isn't a problem. He's a big, lanky body. You won't have many complaints about him unless he's injured or not scoring.

This. He's just a classic shutdown/stay at home guy. Not too much into fighting but apart from that a real warrior. Likes to hit and block. Very solid in his own zone. Decent skater. Could be a better passer or shooter and probably won't run the PP in Chicago. But overall a huge loss for the Coyotes. Mostly because of his contract, his aggressive style and his leadership on and off the ice.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad