Connor McDavid's +'s and -'s (+354, -308, 375 career games)

Artorius Horus T

sincerety
Nov 12, 2014
Suomi/Finland
Interesting stuff.

354 even number points, that gives him +354
+46 career +/-

354-46=308= McDavid been on the ice 308 times in even numbers situations
when opponent has scored a goal, in 375 games.
(0.82 per game)

Now...obviously its not 1+1=2 situation, you would have to look all of the goals Oilers have allowed
where McDavid been on the ice and what not, but looking at those numbers....pretty big if you ask me.

Putrid defense, poor team effort, goaltending, reasons are in plenty but...alarming numbers nevertheless.
And i know...the +/- is the worst evaluation statistic in hockey, but still...

Offensively speaking, we all know he IS the best player in the world, he is the fastest skater in world, ever,
most skilled as well, the honors goes on and on but i think his defense is a huge issue and should not be
put under a proverbial rug, you can't be all offense and think that's enough
to be granted the best player in the world title, everything considered, not to mention what comes to
team success, something i'm afraid Connor McDavid will never achieve.

supsens

Oct 6, 2013
You need to figure out average goals againt and for per/60 and compare the entire nhl to him.
Your number has no context.
You also need how the oil does without him on the ice.

OysterForever

Feb 18, 2021
Not in Philly
Now...obviously its not 1+1=2 situation, you would have to look all of the goals Oilers have allowed
where McDavid been on the ice and what not, but looking at those numbers....pretty big if you ask me.

You know you wont get + when you score a PP goal?

McDavid has done an assist or goal on powerplay on over third of his games he played in the NHL.

Black Kevin

I don't work my ass off
Nov 19, 2019
Raleigh
20210302_210519.jpg

Statto

Sponsor
May 9, 2014
Interesting stuff.

354 even number points, that gives him +354
+46 career +/-

354-46=308= McDavid been on the ice 308 times in even numbers situations
when opponent has scored a goal, in 375 games.
(0.82 per game)

Putrid defense, poor team effort, goaltending, reasons are in plenty but...alarming numbers nevertheless.
And i know...the +/- is the worst evaluation statistic in hockey, but still...

Offensively speaking, we all know he IS the best player in the world, he is the fastest skater in world, ever,
most skilled as well, the honors goes on and on but i think his defense is a huge issue and should not be
put under a proverbial rug, you can't be all offense and think that's enough
to be granted the best player in the world title, everything considered, not to mention what comes to
team success, something i'm afraid Connor McDavid will never achieve.
For his numbers to have meaning it needs context, without context you may as well just say ‘I think McDavid is overrated’. So, here is some...

The oilers have a -65 differential on even strength scoring over that period and are -10 on terms of SHG’s. Any player even or better over that period is solid defensively.

Yes, it needs further detailed analysis to be truly valid but as a basic assessment it tells me +65 is outstanding and shows he is elite in terms of his overall contribution. He’s playing well above his teams mean contribution, as he should, but the numbers show the opposite of the point you are trying to make. It’s a team game so if you don’t have team momentum being a plus player, with his ice time, is impressive.

If you want to prove he’s a bad defensive player you need to pick another stat. Saying it demonstrates putrid defensive is baffling.

pi314

Jun 10, 2017
Windsor, ON
Honestly I love to see Connor play and with the time zone difference, I never see more than just the highlights.

I would be really interested to hear from Edmonton fans who watch him night in and night out.

What do you think about his play away from the puck?

Rafafouille

May 12, 2015
QC
Making such a terrible thread is one thing, not even being able to get the right numbers for your flawed logic is even worse.

136 EV goals, 210 EV assists for 346 EV points. That is irrelevant though because you can be on the ice for a goal and not get a point.

He's been on the ice for 415 EV goals for and 360 EV goals against for a +55 even strength rating. I'm gonna take a guess the other 9 are from giving up shorthanded goals. +55 at even strength is very good considering how terrible the oilers have played at even strength over the same period.

authentic

Jan 28, 2015
Look at the team he has played for. This season he is finally above average defensively though. Put him on an actual good team and he would have a much better +/-

Oilslick941611

Jul 4, 2006
Ottawa
+/- is useless. You literally just step on the ice and a get a + or _. You can come out of the penalty box and get a + if your team scores a second or two after the PP ending. You can get a minus on a bad bounce in front the net, or a slapshot from outside the blue line. You can handle your assignment and someone else misses and get a -. The only thing +/- can tell you is how many goals you were on the ice for minus the PP/PK. For some of reasons stated above this a useless stat and should be judged as such, especially on its own with no context.

KrisLetAngry

MrJukeBoy
Dec 20, 2013
Saskatchewan
What's his advanced stats showing let's paint a bigger picture.

Jeff Schultz had a +88 during his career with a +50 one year.

Shea Weber has a +82 so far

Kris Letang at +65 so far

Gonchar at + 29 (I think adding in my head)

Who do you want to defend your team up 1 goal game 7 Stanley cup finals 1 minute left. Any of them over Jeff Schultz.

+/- is a layman's stat that really does not tell a lot.

Let's look at his usage and zone starts etc.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad