Connor McDavid should be 2020 Masterton winner. No doubt.

HugginThePost

Flames Suck
Sponsor
Dec 28, 2006
Back to the Sweat Box
It’s his gimmick. Sees Oilers thread, makes blanket statements with nothing to back it up, and everything is Oilers bad.

Not worth engaging.

That's rich coming from you Tad!!

I've been reading your propaganda for over 10 years. Talk about the same shtick over and aver.

I'll give you credit for actually taking an off Oiler stance in the "Booing Chuckie at the All Star Game" thread!!

That must have been hard for you!!

How very hypocritical of you......

"See's Flames thread, makes blanket statements with nothing to back it up, everything is Flames bad. Not worth engaging".

Pot......meet kettle.

HugginThePost

Flames Suck
Sponsor
Dec 28, 2006
Back to the Sweat Box
Hundreds? There are probably 50-75 unique posters in this thread.

McDavid is a very good choice for Masterson. There is a great chance he wins based on who he is. That said the other choice (Johns) would have my vote after being through both injuries.

Its funny to me that on a message board people are si adverse to open discussuon. its this "McDavid or nothing" attitude that rubs people the wrong way and cause push back.

Nah.....we just all hate McDavid and are upset his knee is healed up and he is as good as new.

As I said, this place is all about extremes.

daver

Apr 4, 2003
Visit site
The Hart trophy is kind of a farce anyways. Playoffs have become the unwritten standard. And honestly, the goalies should always get it because if your goalies sucks, no player in the world can over come that.

Examples of it being a farce?

Oil Dood

Sep 17, 2019
Examples of it being a farce?

The media votes on it. That is enough for me. The earned trophies like Art Ross, Stanley cup and any trophy voted on by peers are the only legit ones.
Anything where the media votes should be questioned, much like the oscars, this is an opinion on people who do not play the game.

daver

Apr 4, 2003
Visit site
The media votes on it. That is enough for me. The earned trophies like Art Ross, Stanley cup and any trophy voted on by peers are the only legit ones.
Anything where the media votes should be questioned, much like the oscars, this is an opinion on people who do not play the game.

Again, which Hart winners are a farce? Only once in the last 30 years has the Hart winner not been either the Lindsay winner or the runner up Lindsay winner.

HugginThePost

Flames Suck
Sponsor
Dec 28, 2006
Back to the Sweat Box

Unless they pick "my guy", then it's all good!!

We are all guilty of this........

Reactions: Satire

tony d

Jun 23, 2007
Behind A Tree
It's quite the comeback from such a major injury. To see what he's doing this year as well adds to him being a favorite to win this award for sure.

Legionnaire11

Jul 12, 2007
Murfreesboro
atlantichockeyleague.com
So there was a lot of good discussion in this thread about the topic of Masterton (which this thread is about) and other candidates, and now it's gone. Was it just deleted or moved somewhere else and why?

If the OP is "McDavid should win and this is why" then it's only logical to discuss the why not, and offer alternatives. Removing personal attack posts is one thing, but genuine back and forth about the thread topic should not be moderated out of existence.

Reactions: RattsSSV

KidLine93

May 15, 2012
Why is this place always about extremes??

I'm not mad. I'm not even upset.

Nowhere have I said that he is undeserving of the Masterson. He absolutely deserves to be nominated.

I'm certainly not mad about people being impressed with his recovery.

Do I think it's a bit self serving of Oiler fans to be claiming McDavid is the "only" choice for the award? Sure I am. Along with many others.

As for the comments about McDavid being better at everything he does in Oiler fans eyes, well, that's just a fact.

And we all know there are many, many, threads claiming as much.
I'll give you that. Since Stephen Johns would be an excellent choice for the award as well. And based on the past 4 seasons McDavid being "the Best" isn't exactly a hot take, its more the consensus on these boards across multiple fan bases.

Mc5RingsAndABeer

5-14-6-1
May 25, 2011
So, basically like a job?

Yay??

I mean if I was getting paid $3500/hour to rehab my knee, well, I'd be in a good head space!

But it's always this way whenever McDavid is discussed, right?

He has to be the best at everything. Everything.

Head juke, blows by defender....best ever.

Scores goal in tight with quick hands......best ever.

Waiting for his first Michigan......it will undoubtedly be the best ever.

Recovers from knee injury....best recovery ever.

The guy us a straight up machine. He's amazing. But it gets tiresome listening to Oiler fans tell us about how much better he is at everything.
This thread wasn't even made by an Oiler fan.

HugginThePost

Flames Suck
Sponsor
Dec 28, 2006
Back to the Sweat Box
I'll give you that. Since Stephen Johns would be an excellent choice for the award as well. And based on the past 4 seasons McDavid being "the Best" isn't exactly a hot take, its more the consensus on these boards across multiple fan bases.

You'll get no argument from me about him being the best player, period.

I will say I don't think he's levels better than other players out there, like some claim. But he certainly is the best.

I know myself, and many others, claim that every year there is someone close to McDavid, which would indicate that he's not head and shoulders above the other elite players.

And I do believe that, but I will admit that what makes McDavid so damned special is his consistency. It's always someone else competing for top spot with McDavid, rarely it's the same guy. But maybe MacK is that guy??

Any way that was off topic, what I was trying to get at was that there is a common trend that whatever McDavid does is just so much better than anyone else.

His recovery from this injury has now taken on a "life of it's own". Like he's the only human being on earth that could possibly do it.

I'm guessing that if you and I had the Oiler organization dropping $4mm on our recovery, and we had the incentive of a $300mm career in front of us, we too could perform miracles.

So, in short, I am in no way saying he isn't the best......he is. I'm just saying he doesn't have to be the best at every single thing he does on and off the ice.

Bank Shot

Jan 18, 2006
I'm guessing that if you and I had the Oiler organization dropping $4mm on our recovery, and we had the incentive of a $300mm career in front of us, we too could perform miracles.

No you couldn't because you're posting on the internet instead of out perfecting a craft. If you and I had McDavid's passion and work ethic we'd have the multi million dollar careers.

Even NHL players that are extremely competitive and hardworking single out a few guys that always go above and beyond the rest.

McDavid is one of those guys.

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
Nah . Some random propaganda piece about McDavids recovery by the canadian hype media doesn't mean **** to me. It probably convinces the media but come on. The guy didn't even miss a game . Plenty of less known players go through hard if not harder recovery from even worse injuries . What they don't have is the media making PR movies for them.
It is weird. Kid gets hurt, kid does rehab like anyone would for an injury, young kid recovers and doesn't miss a single game. But somehow it's made into this weird hype thing. I mean it's good he got healthy again, but it's an injury that a lot heal from and with medicine and training the way it is now, the time he had off is definitely what would happen with what he did - recover completely.

People get mad when you have this take. Which isn't a slight to McDavid at all, more in regards to the fact they made a special about this. Meanwhile players around the league come back from cancer, etc, and this is somehow being hailed as...heroic?

What?

63 others

Mar 3, 2018
I think this story is overhyped. Would it be a 4th liner it may be 3 posts in a subforum instead of 3 threads in the Main. But looks like McPoints arent enough anymore for oilers fans, now it needs to be McAwards

ZJuice

pickle juice connoisseur
May 17, 2010
Edmonton
I think this story is overhyped. Would it be a 4th liner it may be 3 posts in a subforum instead of 3 threads in the Main. But looks like McPoints arent enough anymore for oilers fans, now it needs to be McAwards
A 4th liner would have had the surgery and missed a season or perhaps even start to play themself out of the league since most players are never the same after an injury like that... Unless they are a physical beast who is dedicated 100% like Chara, Stamkos, Crosby, and even Pacioretty.

Connor did not want to miss a single game and he did not miss one and is still top of the league for points and helping to carry his team to a playoff position.

Reactions: ConnorMcMullet

Acallabeth

Post approved by Ovechkin
Jul 30, 2011
Moscow
I have nothing but respect for McDavid's hard work and skill. The story may indeed be overhyped a bit (a player chose a shorter, but harder treatment type that he also considered more reliable - I'm sure it's a story that happens pretty often, just not with a superstar player in front of cameras), but I don't think it matters. Masterton isn't a competition, and of course there are numerous deserving candidates who exemplify the qualities of perseverance, sportsmanship, and dedication to hockey.

Oil Dood

Sep 17, 2019
Unless they pick "my guy", then it's all good!!

We are all guilty of this........
Honestly, I really do not care about most of the "media" voted awards. I like the Lindsey because the players vote, and I think it should be that way with every award.
End of the day there is only one trophy that really matters and that is the SC.

Garbage Goal

Apr 1, 2009
No you couldn't because you're posting on the internet instead of out perfecting a craft. If you and I had McDavid's passion and work ethic we'd have the multi million dollar careers.

Even NHL players that are extremely competitive and hardworking single out a few guys that always go above and beyond the rest.

McDavid is one of those guys.

That is an absurd amount of naivety and bias to think the amount of money you make is perfectly commensurate you how hard you work, that there are no other factors. So absurd it’s not worth addressing beyond mentioning just some of the factors you’d have to ignore. Like innate talent/skill/aptitude, developmental factors (socioeconomic privilege, parental/familial toxicity or lack thereof, etc.), social connections, the arbitrary and capitalistic monetary value assigned to athletes as opposed to other crafts (arts for example), etc.

Similarly ridiculous to think you can’t be a multi millionaire or one of the hardest working people around just because you post on the internet.

Voracek has literally called out a Flyers board poster on his Twitter before. There’s screen caps of players viewing HFBoards. McKenzie called posters assclowns on the board before.

Reactions: HugginThePost

Curufinwe

Feb 28, 2013
Nah . Some random propaganda piece about McDavids recovery by the canadian hype media doesn't mean **** to me. It probably convinces the media but come on. The guy didn't even miss a game . Plenty of less known players go through hard if not harder recovery from even worse injuries . What they don't have is the media making PR movies for them.

He didn't miss a game because he had six months to recover.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad