Connor McDavid should be 2020 Masterton winner. No doubt.

HugginThePost

Flames Suck
Sponsor
Dec 28, 2006
Back to the Sweat Box
This may have been brought up, haven't read the entire thread, but does he even rally qualify for the award? It's supposed to be for a player that had a down year and came back to over come it.

By my thinking, he ended the 18/19 season the best player on the planet and started the 19/20 season the best player on the planet. Where was his down year?

McDavid is amazing.....but he doesn't need to win all the awards.

member 290103

It seems like people are confusing the injury with what is involved to rehab it. A brain injury may be worse and he may or may not have had more pain. If rest is all he could do (even if it was more painful). It wasn’t a choice for him. We have no way of determining if he was dedicated to rest or he just gave up and rested. (If that makes sense and its not his fault)

in McDavids case he was able to take different routes. He could have just got the surgery, rested, then trained and see you in 2 years being a mediocre player making 100 million. He chose the hardest one and dedicated all his time to make it appear nothing even happened at the beginning of the next season. There is a tangible dedication that is present that is unknown in Johns case (again not his fault, just the nature of the injury)

What a hero. He worked hard to rehab from a difficult injury, missed no games and the injury did not slow him down one bit.

This is such a ridiculous sensation.

McDNicks17

Jul 1, 2010
Ontario
This may have been brought up, haven't read the entire thread, but does he even rally qualify for the award? It's supposed to be for a player that had a down year and came back to over come it.

By my thinking, he ended the 18/19 season the best player on the planet and started the 19/20 season the best player on the planet. Where was his down year?

"the National Hockey League player who best exemplifies the qualities of perseverance, sportsmanship and dedication to hockey."

Where are you getting your definition from?

CantHaveTkachev

Legends
Nov 30, 2004
St. OILbert, AB

That’s the PHWA’s “Comeback Player of the Year” award
William Nylander is the mid-point winner for some reason

The Devil In I

Jun 28, 2005
Chicago
I mean it’s not as bad as they make it seem! It’s a PCL, you could do just fine without it. If it was an ACL and did what he did then it’s an entire different story. Did it mention how bad the meniscus tears were?

Exactly this.

I tore my PCL, fractured my tibia (just a facial-fracture from impact), and tore a meniscus in a head-on car crash as the passenger. The PCL tear + fractured tibia combo is known as "the dashboard injury" because that's typically the way it happens. In a bent knee position you slam your shin bone again something (the dashboard in a car crash) and it pushes your shin back from your femur. I didn't get surgery, I walked on crutches and took things lightly until the fracture healed...and then I continued back at the gym and playing hockey. I still don't have a PCL ~12 years later and I still do both.

Also, I got into that car crash like 6-9 months after completing rehab on the same knee from surgery for tearing my ACL, MCL, and both menisci. Doctors didn't even recommend surgery for the car crash injury because you don't rely too heavily on PCL-stability in hockey, and the meniscus tore in an area of the knee where it wasn't likely to wear down/further tear. Granted, my knee will be shot by the time I'm like 45 after all that shit, but in the medium/longish term it's not that big of a deal.

I'm glad McDavid is back and hasn't missed a step, but this documentary makes it seem more intense than it was for the sake of money (views).

HugginThePost

Flames Suck
Sponsor
Dec 28, 2006
Back to the Sweat Box
That’s the PHWA’s “Comeback Player of the Year” award
William Nylander is the mid-point winner for some reason

"the National Hockey League player who best exemplifies the qualities of perseverance, sportsmanship and dedication to hockey."

Where are you getting your definition from?

Ahhhhh....gotcha. My bad.

Personally I think it's a great story. It's also great for hockey that he's back playing.

But some of the takes in this thread, especially by Pheonixx, are cringe worthy.

Being a long time "victim" of CTE, I can assure you there is more to recovery than sitting around waiting to get better.

What an incredibly stupid thing to say. Connor spent a summer rehabbing his knee.

While the Oiler organization spent $4mm on him. He had the best of everything at his disposal.

You think the average NHL grunt get's this treatment? Not a chance in hell!!

So while his recovery is amazing, he was afforded the best of everything to get to that point.

Lot's aren't........let's have some perspective,

11Messier

Jul 3, 2010
Edmonton
What a hero. He worked hard to rehab from a difficult injury, missed no games and the injury did not slow him down one bit.

This is such a ridiculous sensation.
ahhhh yah.... "He worked hard to rehab from a difficult injury". I am curious to hear your non "ridiculous sensation" of what you are basing who you think should win the award?

member 290103

ahhhh yah.... "He worked hard to rehab from a difficult injury". I am curious to hear your non "ridiculous sensation" of what you are basing who you think should win the award?

someone that misses at least one game?

what a crock of shit.

Shrimper

Trick or ruddy treat
Feb 20, 2010
Essex
Not even a debate.

Anyone who just watched that will have zero argument.

If McDavid doesn’t win the Masterton, then the entire award is meaningless and invalidated.

No one knew really how bad the injury actually was, that recovery was crazy.

Seem to recall Letang didn't win it when he had a stroke. Or Maatta when he had cancer.

Award's been pretty iffy for a while

11Messier

Jul 3, 2010
Edmonton
someone that misses at least one game?

what a crock of ****.
Are you being serious? So if this happened mid season, then its award worthy but because it happened on game 82, it doesn't count. So I guess if someone breaks a nail and misses a game by going to a donut shop, its more worthy than McDavid because they actually missed a game. Talking about a crock of ****

Oil Dood

Sep 17, 2019
McDavid is a case for it for sure but if I am picking an Oiler for this award my vote would go to James Neal. The guy looked like his career was done last year in Calgary and now he is back to his 20 goal self.

Darren McCord

Dec 15, 2015
Gosh this thread feels like an offseason one the way its derailing and the bickering. I can't wait for games to start back up.

Crow

May 19, 2014
I’d give it to Johns over McDavid. McDavid gets enough and higher quality hardware. Johns career was further in doubt than McDavid’s was. His struggle was much longer.

Reactions: Darren McCord

Mcnotloilersfan

I'm here, I'm bored
Jul 11, 2010
Niagara
I’d give it to Johns over McDavid. McDavid gets enough and higher quality hardware. Johns career was further in doubt than McDavid’s was. His struggle was much longer.

I have no problem with a healthy debate over two players but "he should get an award, because the other guy already got some" is pretty weak.

Reactions: Frosty415

member 290103

Are you being serious? So if this happened mid season, then its award worthy but because it happened on game 82, it doesn't count. So I guess if someone breaks a nail and misses a game by going to a donut shop, its more worthy than McDavid because they actually missed a game. Talking about a crock of ****

If he missed half a season rehabbing a knee injury it would not be Masterton worthy, no.

Crow

May 19, 2014
I have no problem with a healthy debate over two players but "he should get an award, because the other guy already got some" is pretty weak.
It is pretty weak but how else do you make decisions like that for an award so arbitrarily given?

LTIR

Nov 8, 2013
McDavid is a case for it for sure but if I am picking an Oiler for this award my vote would go to James Neal. The guy looked like his career was done last year in Calgary and now he is back to his 20 goal self.
I would give it to Kassian

snipes

How cold? I’m ice cold.
Dec 28, 2015
Seem to recall Letang didn't win it when he had a stroke. Or Maatta when he had cancer.

Award's been pretty iffy for a while

I remember Maatta not winning that year, I thought he was a lock that year.

HugginThePost

Flames Suck
Sponsor
Dec 28, 2006
Back to the Sweat Box

I would give it to Kassian

......and both should be donating several million dollars to the Oiler organization to cover the $4mm they paid for Connor's treatment!!!

ToDavid

Dec 13, 2018
I’m really hoping McDavid has a very healthy career. We we’re deprived of that with Crosby.

Looking like his fourth straight 100 point season coming up. Who’s the last to do that?

Reactions: MattySnipes

grentthealien

Oct 2, 2016
Newfoundland
I feel like arguing about who should win the Masterston is kind of weird. I’m not saying that players aren’t honoured to receive it , but it’s kind of an award that you don’t want to be in a position to win. I’m pretty sure most players are just glad to have overcome the adversity or hardships they were dealing with at the time. Being recognized for it isn’t of much importance to them. Both Johns and Mcdavid are likely grateful to just be playing Hockey this season.

Dirty Dan

Saturday Night Lupul
May 5, 2010
in ur crease
im more impressed in this award by the fringe NHL players who don't have the high talent who perservere

Still crazy mcdavids rehab abilities

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad