Connor McDavid should be 2020 Masterton winner. No doubt.

snag

Feb 22, 2014
The fact that he came back....and BEAT last years fastest skate time? Crazy.

I joked with my wife when Barzal was getting the laughs and the guys were all giving him congrats for winning they were all saying "Congrats on beating the gimp".

DownIsTheNewUp

Mar 27, 2017
Tampa
...McDavid is easily the hardest working player in the league....
Props to McDavid for his hard work and dedication, but there are players all over this league working just as hard, just as dedicated to the game, many playing through serious injury. Not all of them have McDavid's talents, some have to work just as hard to be in the league. Nice of this video to be done, but its showing the journey of many players.

Hynh

Jun 19, 2012
giphy.gif

Did the media make a movie about Taylor Feduns recovery from that horrific fracture to his femur ? No and why would they ? He was and still is a fringe NHL player . The only reason this movie even exists is one of the darlings of the hockey media is involved . Don't get me wrong McDavid is a great player but don't think for second this movie would be made for even a lesser Oilers players. Don't even think Draisaitl would get that treatment .

This isn't a knock on McDavid but on the hype machine .
The NHL has a history of it's greatest stars having their careers derailed by injury and this showed how close we were to losing another. Your jealousy that the media talks about the best active player in the sport a lot is childish.

Reactions: barry halls

MattySnipes

Jan 26, 2018
'Mecca' of Hockey
Props to McDavid for his hard work and dedication, but there are players all over this league working just as hard, just as dedicated to the game, many playing through serious injury. Not all of them have McDavid's talents, some have to work just as hard to be in the league. Nice of this video to be done, but its showing the journey of many players.
100%.

Just when you see in the video what he was going through and then see what he's doing to get back it's hard to think of other players in the moment. But definitely not fair and many, many players work very hard. Don't mean any disrespect to other NHLers.

Reactions: DownIsTheNewUp

booyakasha

Oct 11, 2007
Edmonton, AB
The NHL has a history of it's greatest stars having their careers derailed by injury and this showed how close we were to losing another. Your jealousy that the media talks about the best active player in the sport a lot is childish.
That injury wouldn't have lost McDavid from the game.

Hynh

Jun 19, 2012
The first knee injury didn't end Orr's career and the first concussion didn't end Lindros' career. If McDavid's knee required surgery he would miss a full season. After that who knows how he would play. The hockey world is lucky that Crosby has been able to recover from his concussion problems and it's lucky again that McDavid's PCL decided to heal.

booyakasha

Oct 11, 2007
Edmonton, AB
The first knee injury didn't end Orr's career and the first concussion didn't end Lindros' career. If McDavid's knee required surgery he would miss a full season. After that who knows how he would play. The hockey world is lucky that Crosby has been able to recover from his concussion problems and it's lucky again that McDavid's PCL decided to heal.
Let's not compare a concussion to a PCL tear.

Reactions: Bedards Dad

skuzzycuzz

Jan 7, 2012
No player has gone through what he’s gone through and recovered from such a violent injury and recovered so bravely and quick as Connor McDavid. Give him the award now please, out of respect for a phenom.,
I mean it’s not as bad as they make it seem! It’s a PCL, you could do just fine without it. If it was an ACL and did what he did then it’s an entire different story. Did it mention how bad the meniscus tears were?

11Messier

Jul 3, 2010
Edmonton
I'm just in shock all this was happening and nobody knew. I can't even imagine the mental devastation he had for several months of not knowing what his career or life was going to be like. He is lucky to have a great family and GF to support him and they did a great job at keeping everything hush hush. The one thing the documentary didn't cover is what happens now. Does anybody know how a rehabbed PCL that weaves itself back together compares to a normal PCL? How good was it at start of the season (50%)? Does it keep getting stronger every day? Will it ever be 100%?

He then goes out and scores a highlight reel goal in his first game and has lead the NHL in points almost the whole year without going through is usual summer training. That just made everyone think he had a boo boo when the truth was he had no idea himself if he was ready to play. Crazy stuff.

booyakasha

Oct 11, 2007
Edmonton, AB
I'm just in shock all this was happening and nobody knew. I can't even imagine the mental devastation he had for several months of not knowing what his career or life was going to be like. He is lucky to have a great family and GF to support him and they did a great job at keeping everything hush hush. The one thing the documentary didn't cover is what happens now. Does anybody know how a rehabbed PCL that weaves itself back together compares to a normal PCL? How good was it at start of the season (50%)? Does it keep getting stronger every day? Will it ever be 100%?

He then goes out and scores a highlight reel goal in his first game and has lead the NHL in points almost the whole year without going through is usual summer training. That just made everyone think he had a boo boo when the truth was he had no idea himself if he was ready to play. Crazy stuff.
nobody knew?, they were filming the documentary from the start.....a lot of people knew.

GhostfaceWu

Shi Shaw
Feb 11, 2015
No competition? Stephen Johns missed 2 years with post traumatic headaches and many thought his career was over and now suddenly he has defied all odds and is back in the NHL.

I mean obviously he won't win cause he plays for Dallas, is a bit of a no name player, and because McDavid is certainly gonna get more coverage and his story is actually out in the open, but still saying there's no competition is a ridiculous thing to say.
Lol Mcdavid has 76 points coming back from this while Johns has a whopping 1 game played. If you don't recognize the giant ocean between the 2 players and why Mcdavid should win this award I don't know how to drive common sense into ya.

Reactions: Frosty415

flamesforcup

Sep 5, 2017
Not even a debate.

Anyone who just watched that will have zero argument.

If McDavid doesn’t win the Masterton, then the entire award is meaningless and invalidated.

No one knew really how bad the injury actually was, that recovery was crazy.
Where can i watch it?

Kcb12345

Jun 6, 2017
Lol Mcdavid has 76 points coming back from this while Johns has a whopping 1 game played. If you don't recognize the giant ocean between the 2 players and why Mcdavid should win this award I don't know how to drive common sense into ya.

"The Bill Masterton Memorial Trophy is awarded annually to the National Hockey League player who best exemplifies the qualities of perseverance, sportsmanship, and dedication to ice hockey"

"It is often awarded to a player who has come back from career– or even life-threatening illness or injury."

I'm sorry where does it say points matter? Or that you have to be one of the best players in the league to win?

Eternal Leaf

Jul 4, 2011
Toronto

Pretty lame to bring down Johns for the sake of McDavid. Both are worthy candidates.

Carlzner

Oct 31, 2011
Denver, CO
Nah . Some random propaganda piece about McDavids recovery by the canadian hype media doesn't mean **** to me. It probably convinces the media but come on. The guy didn't even miss a game . Plenty of less known players go through hard if not harder recovery from even worse injuries . What they don't have is the media making PR movies for them.
Embarrassing post that reveals you know next to nothing about health & physical activity.

11Messier

Jul 3, 2010
Edmonton
Pretty lame to bring down Johns for the sake of McDavid. Both are worthy candidates.

Of course nobody should be putting down someone else's injury. However, when you are dealing with an award (which this topic is about) you have to compare things even though it may seem cringe worthy at times. It doesn't mean you don't think the other person is not deserving, it's just you have to choose only one to win.

It sounds like Johns had a tough time. Can anyone update his storey. I know concussions are miserable but other than that, I don't know too much. What kind of dedication or treatment did he go through to get back. To me that is the heart of what the award should be about. They said McDavid's routine was 10hrs a day/7 days a week. If Johns is comparable, I have no objection to him winning it.

Del Preston

Mar 8, 2013
They said more than once in the documentary that his career was up in the air.

I mean it’s not as bad as they make it seem! It’s a PCL, you could do just fine without it. If it was an ACL and did what he did then it’s an entire different story. Did it mention how bad the meniscus tears were?
- torn PCL
- torn medial and lateral menisci
- torn popliteus muscle
- torn posterior capsule
- fractured tibial plateau

Mc5RingsAndABeer

5-14-6-1
May 25, 2011
Nah . Some random propaganda piece about McDavids recovery by the canadian hype media doesn't mean **** to me. It probably convinces the media but come on. The guy didn't even miss a game . Plenty of less known players go through hard if not harder recovery from even worse injuries . What they don't have is the media making PR movies for them.
Looks like you didn't bother watching the video or learning about the injury.

thedustman

Jun 19, 2013

yeah, i even think surgery is usually not necessary for a PCL tear, even a full tear.

I have not seen the documentary yet, and i think most of what mcdavid does is impressive. I also think it is important to keep from including things like fears of the best player (or very near best) missing time or dealing with an injury in the criteria for considering masterton trophy contenders.

ThePhoenixx

Aug 7, 2005
There's another option. I might not care one way or the other . I don't hate McDavid. I don't really care that much . He's a special player but so many players have to go through incredibly hard ordeals and because they aren't well known we barely hear a peep about it.

If you didn't care, you wouldn't post.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad