Connor McDavid should be 2020 Masterton winner. No doubt.

snipes

How cold? I’m ice cold.
Dec 28, 2015
Not even a debate.

Anyone who just watched that will have zero argument.

If McDavid doesn’t win the Masterton, then the entire award is meaningless and invalidated.

No one knew really how bad the injury actually was, that recovery was crazy.

MattySnipes

Jan 26, 2018
'Mecca' of Hockey
Not even a debate.

Anyone who just watched that will have zero argument.

If McDavid doesn’t win the Masterton, then the entire award is meaningless and invalidated.

No one knew really how bad the injury actually was, that recovery was crazy.
Seeing him analyzing his own x-rays with docs, noticing the growth and improvement was really cool too. He knew the muscle and tendon names, and how it was supposed to look.

McDavid is easily the hardest working player in the league. The training he went through, the regimen was different too. Seeing him working on his edges when they told him to take it easy made me almost squeamish but ofcourse he's a beast and nothing happened.

Super athlete. Definitely my vote for 2020 Masterton, 2020 Hart, and 2020 Art Ross most likely.

Rygu

Dec 24, 2017
B.C.
I've only seen the trailer I definitely look forward to seeing it.

I'm not sure why but I was oddly not surprised to see Gary Roberts in the trailer lol.

Reactions: Beville

Kcb12345

Jun 6, 2017
No competition? Stephen Johns missed 2 years with post traumatic headaches and many thought his career was over and now suddenly he has defied all odds and is back in the NHL.

I mean obviously he won't win cause he plays for Dallas, is a bit of a no name player, and because McDavid is certainly gonna get more coverage and his story is actually out in the open, but still saying there's no competition is a ridiculous thing to say.

dubey

$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$ 69 in 79 $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$
Oct 22, 2006
In your head
No competition? Stephen Johns missed 2 years with post traumatic headaches and many thought his career was over and now suddenly he has defied all odds and is back in the NHL.

I mean obviously he won't win cause he plays for Dallas, is a bit of a no name player, and because McDavid is certainly gonna get more coverage and his story is actually out in the open, but still saying there's no competition is a ridiculous thing to say.
Masterton isn't a fan vote so not really a big deal

Johns is as worthy as anyone

serp

Jan 17, 2016
Nah . Some random propaganda piece about McDavids recovery by the canadian hype media doesn't mean shit to me. It probably convinces the media but come on. The guy didn't even miss a game . Plenty of less known players go through hard if not harder recovery from even worse injuries . What they don't have is the media making PR movies for them.

Cam98

Jun 24, 2009
Nah . Some random propaganda piece about McDavids recovery by the canadian hype media doesn't mean **** to me. It probably convinces the media but come on. The guy didn't even miss a game . Plenty of less known players go through hard if not harder recovery from even worse injuries . What they don't have is the media making PR movies for them.

McDavid for Masterton

MattySnipes

Jan 26, 2018
'Mecca' of Hockey

Yeah my bad, definitely didn't mean it in a negative way. Masterton trophy is always given to a player who has to battle some crazy shit life throws their way. Lehner was one.

Didn't know about Johns history. Head issues are really bad, and kudos to him for making it all the way back. But yea you answered it for me. McDavid is McDavid. Best in the world. If he went surgery he likely misses entire year, his skating is forever changed and he likely doesn't come back.

Did you see the documentary? It was a helluva doc man. I'm just glad the best player is still in the league and is doing magnificent things.

CaptBrannigan

Apr 5, 2006
Tampa
Nah . Some random propaganda piece about McDavids recovery by the canadian hype media doesn't mean **** to me. It probably convinces the media but come on. The guy didn't even miss a game . Plenty of less known players go through hard if not harder recovery from even worse injuries . What they don't have is the media making PR movies for them.
Yep.

I’m just glad that there isn’t a player with a personal tragedy this year. Something like what Anderson went through.
I am sure a situation I’m unaware of will get posted in 3...2...

Rygu

Dec 24, 2017
B.C.
He suffered a full PCL tear, plus a torn meniscus on both sides of the knee, cracked fibia and a popliteus muscle that was torn right off the bone in a game in April, and with no surgery just rehab was able to play the first game of the next season the following October.

Last edited by a moderator:

serp

Jan 17, 2016
Ignore list.

Absolute must watch for any hockey fan.

giphy.gif

Did the media make a movie about Taylor Feduns recovery from that horrific fracture to his femur ? No and why would they ? He was and still is a fringe NHL player . The only reason this movie even exists is one of the darlings of the hockey media is involved . Don't get me wrong McDavid is a great player but don't think for second this movie would be made for "lesser" Oiler players. Don't even think Draisaitl would get that treatment .

This isn't a knock on McDavid but on the hype machine .

Last edited:

serp

Jan 17, 2016
He suffered a full PCL tear, plus a torn meniscus on both sides of the knee, cracked fibia and a popliteus muscle that was torn right off the bone in a game in April, and with no surgery just rehab was able to play the first game of the next season the follwing October.

If you don't understand how ridiculously impressive that is either you really hate McDavid or you're stupid.

There's another option. I might not care one way or the other . I don't hate McDavid. I don't really care that much . He's a special player but so many players have to go through incredibly hard ordeals and because they aren't well known we barely hear a peep about it.

snipes

How cold? I’m ice cold.
Dec 28, 2015
He suffered a full PCL tear, plus a torn meniscus on both sides of the knee, cracked fibia and a popliteus muscle that was torn right off the bone in a game in April, and with no surgery just rehab was able to play the first game of the next season the follwing October.

This. Even fans of biggest rivals recognize this, I have a lot of buddies that are Flames fans and they’ve been texting me about Whatever It Takes.

No one knew the extent of how bad this injury was until this very moment of it airing. Absolutely insane dedication and mental fortitude to come back from that.

JoVel

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2017
I'd give it to Johns but McDavid would be a good choice too. He'll probably take it as well due to being just slightly bigger name than Stephen Johns.

booyakasha

Oct 11, 2007
Edmonton, AB
This. Even fans of biggest rivals recognize this, I have a lot of buddies that are Flames fans and they’ve been texting me about Whatever It Takes.

No one knew the extent of how bad this injury was until this very moment of it airing. Absolutely insane dedication and mental fortitude to come back from that.
*never mind

MattySnipes

Jan 26, 2018
'Mecca' of Hockey

Agreed.

Calling it a hype machine movie and nonsense is a fail by humanity. I felt honoured to watch that. I am so glad McDavid and his family decided to have his story out for everyone to see.

You can hate the Oilers, or their players, but hating on the best athlete in the game who had to endure what he did and now to see what he's doing is nothing short of a miracle. I can only appreciate that. The willpower of an athlete is so inspiring to see.

Canadian Game

Jul 18, 2005
Ontario
Lol, “didn’t even miss a game”. 5 months later...

Coffey

☠️not a homer☠️
Sponsor
Sep 27, 2017
Phase 4 HMV
DAMN!
You know someone f***ed up when a Flames fan defends an Oiler.

Todd from Leduc

Connor “The Next Great One” McDavid
Nov 15, 2017
Leduc
No player has gone through what he’s gone through and recovered from such a violent injury and recovered so bravely and quick as Connor McDavid. Give him the award now please, out of respect for a phenom.,

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad