Player Discussion Connor McDavid Part VII: Hart, Ross & Lindsay Winner | 100 Points In 53 Games!

McOvechking

Apr 28, 2009
Edmonton, Alberta
Tentative is a good word to describe McDavid right now. Disengaged is another one.

It's tough because when he's putting up 1.5PPG you can't really say anything critical about him, but for anyone who has watched him throughout his whole career it is clear that something isn't quite right.

Nostradumbass

Divinity
Jan 1, 2007
Tentative is a good word to describe McDavid right now. Disengaged is another one.

It's tough because when he's putting up 1.5PPG you can't really say anything critical about him, but for anyone who has watched him throughout his whole career it is clear that something isn't quite right.
I’d say tentative is a better word than disengaged.

space321

May 11, 2011

Yeah, he's playing with plugs. No Draisaitl, and no RNH. It's become apparent that even McDavid can't carry TWO pylons.

Canovin

1% is the new 11.5%
Oct 27, 2010
Probably saving himself for the playoffs cause he knows his bff got the Ross in the bag

McOvechking

Apr 28, 2009
Edmonton, Alberta
I’d say tentative is a better word than disengaged.
I think it is too, but I'd still say he is less engaged than usual. On both ends of the ice.

In terms of his linemates, I don't buy that argument. McDavid has always been capable of creating his own opportunities. I don't believe that Kassian is a far superior player to AA/Ennis. Maybe it is just going to take time to find chemistry with his new linemates.

I'm not trying to be negative, but I am curious how other people are watching his play as of late. Even in the games where the points pile up, I don't necessary think he looks like the same player as prime McDavid.

Reactions: Oilers 322

FlameChampion

Jul 13, 2011
Hes looked off most of the year imo. Biggest thing is that like others have said, hes beeen tentative, I noticed it more in the defensive zone and battles for the puck along the boards earlier in the year and throughout the whole year.

When we found out that he was coming off a major injury, it made some sense.

I actually thought he was starting to look a bit more like himself in the new year.

But hes looked off since the "charlie horse" injury. Now he looks almost tentative on the rush and offensively as well.

This post isnt meant to be critical, because hes still putting up point, and I am sure he is giving it his all and more. Its more of a concern about our great player.

FlameChampion

Jul 13, 2011
I think it is too, but I'd still say he is less engaged than usual. On both ends of the ice.

In terms of his linemates, I don't buy that argument. McDavid has always been capable of creating his own opportunities. I don't believe that Kassian is a far superior player to AA/Ennis. Maybe it is just going to take time to find chemistry with his new linemates.

I'm not trying to be negative, but I am curious how other people are watching his play as of late. Even in the games where the points pile up, I don't necessary think he looks like the same player as prime McDavid.

I think the problem with the word disengaged is that implies more of a mentality (at least to me). I dont think McDavid is disengaged mentally. But I do agree that he is disengaged physically. He just does not put effort into physical battles, especially on the boards or lose pucks. He obviously doesnt want to get hurt.

TheRebuild

Bold as Boognish
Jun 12, 2014
Winter
Lots of teams just put their top shutdown guy on him who hack and slash and grapple him all night long. Now that it's clear the NHL isn't calling an obstruction on McDavid, it's pretty straightforward for most teams to make him a non-factor most nights. I see it more as a change in how teams respond to McDavid then specifically a problem with McDavid. Also, if you're McDavid and you know that if you try and beat someone on the outside and they stick their leg out and trip you - and there's no repercussions at all for them doing so (not even a penalty) but you get to be a cripple the rest of your life, do you make the attempt to beat them on the outside? I don't and I don't blame him for maybe rethinking it. The NHL doesn't have has back, and I think he's aware of that now.

Betelgeuse

Sep 21, 2018
Guy has been head and shoulders above his peers his whole life, and now he's faced with the reality his own teammate has surpassed him this season. I don't know if that's motivating, discouraging, or a nonfactor.

For as much as we want to believe he's team-first and cares only for the playoffs, he does have a legacy I'm sure he wants to maintain and that does come with trophies/peer ranking.

Anyway, none of us know but it's fun to speculate :P

Reactions: Aerchon

space321

May 11, 2011
Guy has been head and shoulders above his peers his whole life, and now he's faced with the reality his own teammate has surpassed him this season. I don't know if that's motivating, discouraging, or a nonfactor.

For as much as we want to believe he's team-first and cares only for the playoffs, he does have a legacy I'm sure he wants to maintain and that does come with trophies/peer ranking.

Yah no, I think it's pretty dumb to speculate on things like this.

This is how the whole "Hall is a cancer teammate" thing started - baseless speculation.

Reactions: frag2 and Skar

Captain Fantastic

Cpt. Fallustina
Feb 24, 2012
YEG
The announcers were suspecting that he is sick.

Connor McDavid
Conno cDavid
Conn David
Con avid
Co vid
I felt that for a while. He's had that previous exhausted, unhealthy look before when he's had the flu. I just wasn't sure whether it was his leg or just not generally feeling well.

McJadeddog

Sep 25, 2003
Regina, Saskatchewan
Him being sick actually makes a lot of sense. He seems to get the flu once per season, and he hadn't had it yet, for what that is worth (which isn't much, lol). But it fit how he was looking for sure. Hopefully he is over it in a week or so.

Aerchon

Jul 20, 2011

I hope he is sick because I don't think your speculation is off base at all.

McDavid over the years has very often put personal success over team success. His two way play is inconsistent at best. He obviously cheats for offensive.

Now Tippett breaks up the best line in hockey to basically help McDavid get points despite the team being better the way it was...

It does not take much imagination to think McDavid very well might be sulking without getting his personal success.

It is still just speculation but I've heard less reason given for more crazy rumors by a great many on this board.

Tobias Kahun

Oct 3, 2017
I hope he is sick because I don't think your speculation is off base at all.

McDavid over the years has very often put personal success over team success. His two way play is inconsistent at best. He obviously cheats for offensive.

Now Tippett breaks up the best line in hockey to basically help McDavid get points despite the team being better the way it was...

It does not take much imagination to think McDavid very well might be sulking without getting his personal success.

It is still just speculation but I've heard less reason given for more crazy rumors by a great many on this board.
If you think he is sulking.

looks like we’ve just confirmed he isn’t sulking.

Reactions: frag2

Zaddy

Feb 8, 2013
Kinda funny if the regular season isn't resumed, McDavid will finish the season with 97 points.

BlackDogg

perpetuum defectum
Oct 3, 2015
97 has 38% more points than the next non team mate. Crazy

But Matthews is actually more valuable as he motivates mcdavid

Tobias Kahun

Oct 3, 2017
97 has 38% more points than the next non team mate. Crazy

But Matthews is actually more valuable as he motivates mcdavid
I wonder if they still think that now that Toronto isn’t running away with the league lead in points percentage.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->