Player Discussion Connor McDavid Part VI: Hart, Ross and Lindsay Winner

Status
Not open for further replies.

NeverForget06

Here we go again !
Jan 7, 2013
Edmonton
He's 1 point away from sharing the throne with Kucherov. 1 point. He was 9 pts back in January.
Lightning fans saying Connor will never catch up, seem to forget what happened last season
Avs fans said the exact same thing when Rantanen was way ahead, Leafs fans said the same thing when Matthews had a ton of points at the start of the season.....

The thing about Connor is that his regular play is everyone elses hot streak.

Besides Kucherov, he's pretty amazing.

McJadeddog

Sep 25, 2003
Regina, Saskatchewan
Barnaby is pretty fair - he's been hyping McDavid as on another planet, even above Crosby since he got into the league. So when he starts saying this, I believe him. I believe it myself anyway. The company is a disaster - who would want to stay?

No, I don't blame him either. McDavid is not a selfish guy at all, and he signed a 8 year deal, so I could see him maybe waiting for another 3-4 years, but the problem is the same in either scenario: the Oilers need to be better otherwise McDavid will want out.

I also think there is a difference between being "kinda okay", where you are bouncing around between 6th-10th all season, and really bad (like now), where you are out of the playoffs since December. In the "kinda okay" scenario, I could see McDavid playing out the full contract. That being said, it wouldn't surprise me entirely if he asked for a trade this off-season either. The organization is a complete and utter disaster, and it likely to remain a shitshow as long as Katz is the owner to be honest.

McJadeddog

Sep 25, 2003
Regina, Saskatchewan
Avs fans said the exact same thing when Rantanen was way ahead, Leafs fans said the same thing when Matthews had a ton of points at the start of the season.....

The thing about Connor is that his regular play is everyone elses hot streak.

Besides Kucherov, he's pretty amazing.

This is 100% true. McDavid on a bad team, that can't score to save its life, has a "normal" season, and its the same as other players best 15-20 game stretches.

ThreeOfAPerfectPair

Oct 26, 2017
Edmonton
So good.

giphy.gif

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
I didn't want to start another thread with a title that would invite trolls so I wanted to discuss this in here. Has Connor taken a step forward this season as a player IYO?

Last season he ended up with 41-67-108 in 82gp. for a 1.32 points/game average. Of those 108 points, 84 of them were at ES.

Prior to tonight's game against the Sabres he sits at 61gp. 33-57-90 for a 1.48 points/game average. Of those 90 points, 61 are at ES.

League wide scoring seems to be up and he is 16 points back of Kucherov albeit having played 5 less games (3 due to illness and 2 due to suspension of course).

We all know what kind of a tire fire our team has been so we all know that a guy like Kucherov gets a lot of help from other skilled players (that doesn't mean that he isn't awesome of course) but when the history books are written chances are that people won't look into that and will just say that Connor couldn't string together 3 Art Ross' in a row in years 2-4 of his career.

Has he hit a plateau? Will he have to go back to the drawing board to really establish himself as THE dominant player in the NHL? Will he once again be atop the scoring leader board next season if management can give him more help up front and on the blueline (within reason?).

Hopefully he goes on the tear to end all tears and makes me eat my words but I just don't know that he's taken much of a step forward this season.

Spawn

Something in the water
Feb 20, 2006
Edmonton
I don’t think you can hold what kucherov is doing this season against McDavid.

Dude hit 100 points faster than anyone has since Lemieux. It’s wild the type of month he had. Just a few weeks ago McDavid was tied with kucherov and then Connor missed a game and kucherov had like 15 points in 3 games.

As for whether or not he’s taken a step forward this year... the team hasn’t allowed him to take a step forward by surrounding him and draisaitl with no help.

There also need to be the recognition that players like McDavid often have their best offensive seasons early in their careers. Their opportunity doesn’t increase so you don’t see that typical increase in their production as time goes on. In terms of points Crosby’s best season came in year 2 of his career. Malkin and Ovechkon both had their peak offensively in their 3rd years.

What makes these guys elite is that they can do it for whole careers.

Last edited:

KCC

Aug 15, 2007

Dude hit 100 points faster than anyone has since Lemieux. It’s wild the type of month he had. Just a few weeks ago McDavid was tied with kucherov and then Connor missed a game and kucherov had like 15 points in 3 games.

As for whether or not he’s taken a step forward this year... the team hasn’t allowed him to take a step forward by surrounding him and draisaitl with no help.

There also need to be the recognition that players like McDavid often have their best offensive seasons early in their careers. Their opportunity doesn’t increase so you don’t see that typical increase in their production as time goes on. In terms of points Crosby’s best season came in year 2 of his career. Malkin and Ovechkon both had their peak offensively in their 3rd years.

Not to take anything away from Kucherov because he's a darn good player, but he does have a ton of help around him. Players go down they have the depth to keep going. McDavid has next to no help and the fact that he is going to hit 100 points for the third season in a row is incredible. Also, you put Kucherov in McDavid's position and he does not hit 100 points. Not even close. Goes to show you the type of special player McDavid is.

Reactions: MikeYEG and TB12

McJadeddog

Sep 25, 2003
Regina, Saskatchewan
I didn't want to start another thread with a title that would invite trolls so I wanted to discuss this in here. Has Connor taken a step forward this season as a player IYO?

Last season he ended up with 41-67-108 in 82gp. for a 1.32 points/game average. Of those 108 points, 84 of them were at ES.

Prior to tonight's game against the Sabres he sits at 61gp. 33-57-90 for a 1.48 points/game average. Of those 90 points, 61 are at ES.

League wide scoring seems to be up and he is 16 points back of Kucherov albeit having played 5 less games (3 due to illness and 2 due to suspension of course).

We all know what kind of a tire fire our team has been so we all know that a guy like Kucherov gets a lot of help from other skilled players (that doesn't mean that he isn't awesome of course) but when the history books are written chances are that people won't look into that and will just say that Connor couldn't string together 3 Art Ross' in a row in years 2-4 of his career.

Has he hit a plateau? Will he have to go back to the drawing board to really establish himself as THE dominant player in the NHL? Will he once again be atop the scoring leader board next season if management can give him more help up front and on the blueline (within reason?).

Hopefully he goes on the tear to end all tears and makes me eat my words but I just don't know that he's taken much of a step forward this season.

Honestly, I think it was just a year where he wasn't able to stay in the lineup the entire season, plus Tampa Bay being potentially the most dominant team the NHL has seen in the regular season in over a decade. Even with TB's dominance, if you give 97 those 5 games back, and he's sitting 8-9 points back of Kucherov and who knows who wins the Art Ross this year. I'm not sure if McDavid "went to another level" this year, but I think he progressed in the smaller areas (faceoffs, defensive game) and maintained his offensive pace quite well.

Reactions: MikeYEG

McJadeddog

Sep 25, 2003
Regina, Saskatchewan

Yeah, the top-end guys generally have their most prolific season before the age of 25.

McJadeddog

Sep 25, 2003
Regina, Saskatchewan
Not to take anything away from Kucherov because he's a darn good player, but he does have a ton of help around him. Players go down they have the depth to keep going. McDavid has next to no help and the fact that he is going to hit 100 points for the third season in a row is incredible. Also, you put Kucherov in McDavid's position and he does not hit 100 points. Not even close. Goes to show you the type of special player McDavid is.

We were just talking about this at work. What are the point totals if you flip the players? What does McDavid get with TB this year, and Kucherov with the Oilers? Fun thought experiment, and good way to argue with buddies :)

LaGu

Jan 4, 2011
Italy

Is this a thing?
I always assumed it had a lot to do with scoring going down in that period.

Edit: Gretzky's best at 25-26, Lemieux at 22-23, Sakic at 26 and 31, Lindros 23.

McFlash97

Oct 10, 2017
Is this a thing?
I always assumed it had a lot to do with scoring going down in that period.

Edit: Gretzky's best at 25-26, Lemieux at 22-23, Sakic at 26 and 31, Lindros 23.
McDavis is only 14 points back in 4 less games.

Despite Kucherovs ridiculous 1 month run , Had McDavid played the full 66 games Kucherov has, there would be a 5 or 6 point gap max. 97 would be within striking distance. Just like last year.

I for once want to see McDavid go absolute insane in the next few home games ...... that would scare a few Tampa fans.

Reactions: MikeYEG

Canovin

1% is the new 11.5%
Oct 27, 2010
McDavis is only 14 points back in 4 less games.

Despite Kucherovs ridiculous 1 month run , Had McDavid played the full 66 games Kucherov has, there would be a 5 or 6 point gap max. 97 would be within striking distance. Just like last year.

I for once want to see McDavid go absolute insane in the next few home games ...... that would scare a few Tampa fans.
McDavid would have to put out 2.5 PPG the next 16 games to win the Art Ross.

Arpeggio

Jul 20, 2006
Edmonton
McDavid just doesn't seem to have those 5-6 point games that some of the other top guys have. If he could put up a 4-5 point night followed by a 3 point night, he'd be right back in it. I still wouldn't count him out.

Reactions: CornKicker

ujju2

Apr 9, 2016
Edmonton, AB
McDavid just doesn't seem to have those 5-6 point games that some of the other top guys have. If he could put up a 4-5 point night followed by a 3 point night, he'd be right back in it. I still wouldn't count him out.

He's had a few, but this team just isn't good enough and doesn't score enough for him to be getting those types of numbers consistently. A 4-5 point night is 4-5 goals by the team which is a rarity for us.

McFlash97

Oct 10, 2017
he hits that EN and hes only 13 back, kuch lets up and mcd catches him for sure

He will make up for that this next game coming up. My Mark Messier Guarantee " Canucks, Maple Leafs and Rangers about to be shit blasted in the next 3 games by Connor and Leon "

3 games 9 points for Connor
3 games 8 points for Leon.

Canovin

1% is the new 11.5%
Oct 27, 2010
he hits that EN and hes only 13 back, kuch lets up and mcd catches him for sure
I don't see Kuch letting up. TB is going to help him win the Art Ross. Either McDavid activates a new level or he comes up short this year

CornKicker

Holland is wrong..except all of the good things
Feb 18, 2005
canucks, rangers, yotes devils

mcdavid gets 10-11 in those 4 games alone

barry halls

Nov 13, 2018
Is it funny/sad to anyone else that people are now questioning his greatness (and anointing Kuch as the better player) because Connor's not going to win the Ross this season? Like were people actually expecting him to win the scoring race every single year for the next decade?? Feels like that's the only way he would fit HF's definition of 'generational' :huh:

McBaevid

Lottery Dynasty
Oct 3, 2010
Edmonton, AB
Art Ross is very unlikely for him with the missed games but if he can somehow come within 5 points I think he takes home the Lindsay again

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->