Prospect Info: Connor Hurley (2013, 38th) – '18-19: Unsigned; Norfolk #16 (ECHL)

Reddawg

We're all mad here
Sponsor
Mar 22, 2007
Rochester, NY
If you check last night's roster report he's listed right next to Artem Kriukov: Playing Roster
That would indicate the Sabres retain his rights. I couldn't tell you how long they'll hold them for, though.
If you think that's funny, check out Mikhail Kazakevich still on Pittsburgh's roster.

He was drafted in 1994 and seems to have retired 13 years ago. But hey, they spent a 10th round pick on the guy and you can't chance it that he might turn into a star for someone else.

paulmm3

Mar 29, 2014
Who's Connor Hurley? But seriously, wtf has been going on with the dude since leaving Notre Dame? I get it, not being happy at ND is one thing. But transferring, which forces you to sit out a year, then bailing on the club you were going to transfer to and signing an ECHL deal? Did he play no competitive hockey at all for the last 12 months? Whatever, I don't think he has much relevance to the future of the Sabres either way, just confusing.

dotcommunism

Aug 16, 2007
Who's Connor Hurley? But seriously, wtf has been going on with the dude since leaving Notre Dame? I get it, not being happy at ND is one thing. But transferring, which forces you to sit out a year, then bailing on the club you were going to transfer to and signing an ECHL deal? Did he play no competitive hockey at all for the last 12 months? Whatever, I don't think he has much relevance to the future of the Sabres either way, just confusing.
He's definitely a non-prospect at this point. As far as his leaving Notre Dame, I don't think anyone knows the story there, nor do I expect anyone to find out, at least in the near future.

dire wolf

immaculate vibes
May 9, 2006
Out in LA
It's always disappointing when a high second-rounder fizzles out, but you know it can happen. This, however, is a really weird way to fizzle.

Zman5778

Oct 4, 2005
Cressona/Reading, PA

He had a couple of good showings in prospect camps (14 and 15?) and seemed to be coming along at ND and then the wheels just completely fell off.

Reddawg

We're all mad here
Sponsor
Mar 22, 2007
Rochester, NY
I wonder when Kruikov will leave these lists? When he officially retires?
I was wondering that too...especially after seeing the guy from the 1994 draft still under Penguins' control. At what point does a player fall off the list if they don't officially submit retirement papers or whatnot?

dotcommunism

Aug 16, 2007
I wonder when Kruikov will leave these lists? When he officially retires?

I was wondering that too...especially after seeing the guy from the 1994 draft still under Penguins' control. At what point does a player fall off the list if they don't officially submit retirement papers or whatnot?
The thing is he never played in North America, why would he submit retirement papers to the NHL? As it stands he hasn't played anywhere since the 15-16 season. Kazakevich, the Pens guy you mentioned, hasn't played professional hockey since 04-05.
These guys' rights are held indefinitely, and considering the reserve list limit is 90 players, releasing the rights of players like that who will literally never under any circumstances suit up for the team probably just doesn't come up.

DolanPlsGoSabres

スカンデッラ
Mar 17, 2013
Nagoya
The thing is he never played in North America, why would he submit retirement papers to the NHL? As it stands he hasn't played anywhere since the 15-16 season. Kazakevich, the Pens guy you mentioned, hasn't played professional hockey since 04-05.
These guys' rights are held indefinitely, and considering the reserve list limit is 90 players, releasing the rights of players like that who will literally never under any circumstances suit up for the team probably just doesn't come up.

If some GM does the troll move of releasing Kryukov's rights, the BN will be the first to write an article about how bad our drafting is!

OcAirlines

Jul 18, 2009
His career has indeed derailed in a really strange way, but I'm actually still not too mad about the pick itself. It was a high-risk, high-reward pick at the time (and not a reach either) that just didn't pan out, it happens all the time and it shouldn't stop us from taking a chance on these kinds of players. There are other 2nd/3rd rounders from the last decade or so that were much more questionable, the likes of Karabacek, Kea, Lemieux...

Djp

Jul 28, 2012
Alexandria, VA
His career has indeed derailed in a really strange way, but I'm actually still not too mad about the pick itself. It was a high-risk, high-reward pick at the time (and not a reach either) that just didn't pan out, it happens all the time and it shouldn't stop us from taking a chance on these kinds of players. There are other 2nd/3rd rounders from the last decade or so that were much more questionable, the likes of Karabacek, Kea, Lemieux...

Just a reminder...his bday was the last day of eligibility for 2013 draft. He was young for his class and ealy ranks would have had him mid 1st in 2014.

He just turned 23 so i wouldnt dismiss him entirely.

As for buffalo...they shouldnt have his rights anymore. Unless he said he turn pro this month which then means its a 30 day clock.

debaser66

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 10, 2012
Yeah, kind of hard to blame it on the scouts with this one.
I remember the saying was that the pick is a gamble back in 2013 and that he is not as far ahead in his development as others but could turn into something.
It was definately not an obvious pick to make early in the 2nd.

jc17

Jun 14, 2013
I wanted Santini, Petan, or Bailey. We got Bailey later, and Santini and Petan haven't done much at the NHL level. For what was supposed to be a deep draft, that second round is looking pretty lousy. Still think we should have kept Bailey though

Elite Prospects - NHL Entry Draft 2013

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad