Player Discussion: 2023 Vezina Finalist Connor Hellebuyck

Krauser

Oct 3, 2017
Playing in the wide-open North division behind the Jets leaky team defence is doing Hellebuyck no favours for his GAA (15th among starters) and save percentage (11th), but in Goals Saved Above Expectation -- which accounts for quality and quantity of shots faced -- he's near the top of the league again:

Helle lead the league in GSAx last year by several models:

ESHX1gjXkAALcyr

DudeWhereIsMakar

Bergevin sent me an offer sheet
Apr 25, 2014
Winnipeg
One of the top five goalies in the league. But his puck handling gives me too much anxiety.

One thing that I'll never understand was how he didn't get an MVP nomination.

But I think Brossoit should get a shot as a starter one day. But if he and Hellebuyck have a tandem going, we definitely have a very good shot at the cup.

snowkiddin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 26, 2016
I wonder where he would go in a redraft. 2012 was a weak draft, does he have a shot at going #1?

snowkiddin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 26, 2016
Another goalie went in the 1st round that year, a Russian dude named Vasilevsky.
Right, forgot about him. Helle is a bit behind him. Of course, Vasilevsky benefits from much better defense and a better system.

Jets4Life

Dec 25, 2003
Westward Ho, Alberta
I remember telling my buddies during the pavelec years you don’t know what a good goalie is until you have one then you never want to be without. Nice to have one.
I remember when Pavelec completed his first season, and was a RFA. I believe his agent hinted that Pavs would play in the KHL, if he didn't get what he wanted. Boy was that a mistake. Pavy played well for one month in 2015, and was mediocre for the duration of his stay. I knew we had something special in Hellebuyck since 2013-14.

Reactions: Jet

garret9

AKA#VitoCorrelationi
Mar 31, 2012
Vancouver
www.hockey-graphs.com
I remember when Pavelec completed his first season, and was a RFA. I believe his agent hinted that Pavs would play in the KHL, if he didn't get what he wanted. Boy was that a mistake. Pavy played well for one month in 2015, and was mediocre for the duration of his stay. I knew we had something special in Hellebuyck since 2013-14.

I remember a lot of people arguing against @truck and I about Pavelec...

Jetfaninflorida

Southernmost Jet Fan
Dec 13, 2013
Florida
I am a bit concerned that we have fallen out of the top 10 in the league. We are 0.500 wins and losses going back 18 games now to the beginning of March, even with some pretty spectacular goaltending by Helle. We may be squandering these great performances by our keeper. Other than Brossoit's recent stinker, he has been solid too. But Helle has been utterly spectacular in a number of recent games.

Jet

Free Capo!
Jul 20, 2004
Florida
That was definitely Chevy's worst contract. Luckily there haven't been too many stinkers since.

Jets4Life

Dec 25, 2003
Westward Ho, Alberta
At the time, I bet a lot of those people hadn't properly followed a hockey team since the dawn of the butterfly era.

Good point.

In 2011, Pavelec had just turned 24. He also tended to have good stats, when it came to the first 30 games of the season. In fact, in the last season of the Thrashers, he led the NHL at point point, and was named player of the week or month in November 2010, if I am not mistaken. When Pavelec was due for a contract extension, my main concern was we had no legitimate replacement, and Pavs would bounce back and become the goalie that he was, when he played lights-out for the first half of the 2010-11 Thrashers season.

For myself, the turning point was that 2 game series against Washington in late March 2013. Pavs was atrocious, and the Jets got blown out in both games. We were within 2 points of the Division lead, and ended up not even qualifying for the playoffs. The next season, I was actually rooting for the Jets to play Montoya, as he was playing far above the level Pavelec was in 2013-14.

Hellebuyck, of course would be turning heads from 2012-15, and had a good rookie year. I was one of his few defenders in 2016-17, when he had his only mediocre season. I knew we had something special in Helle, and he did not let me down. He is arguably the Jets only untouchable asset.

Reactions: FonRiesen

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->