Player Discussion: 2023 Vezina Finalist Connor Hellebuyck

Duke749

Savannah Ghost Pirates
Apr 6, 2010
Canton, Georgia
The Jets are averaging 33 shots against per game.

2 GA = .939
3 GA = .909
4 GA = .878

We're getting a lot of 2-or-less GA games (24), and a bunch of 4-or-more GA games (14) and few in between (7). Hellebuyck runs hot & cold...

Thanks for a little more breakdown of that. I also would say within those games there were times where he looked fine while giving up 3 or 4 goals and other times where he looked average while giving up 2 goals or perhaps even three on an excess of shots because of the other team throwing everything to the net.

Reactions: Gm0ney

NorCalhockey

Jan 6, 2017
Helle gets the PHWA midseason Vezina award:

Vezina Trophyto the goaltender adjudged to be the best at his position.
1. Connor Hellebuyck, Winnipeg Jets
2. Ben Bishop, Dallas Stars
3. Darcy Kuemper, Arizona Coyotes

Relevant stats:
- 42 games
- 21-16-4 record
- 917 save percentage
- 2.74 GAA.

42 games. Who needs a backup?

I would LOVE Helle to win the Vezina, but if Jets don't make the playoffs, it's bye-bye shiny trophy. Book it!

Romang67

BitterSwede
Jan 2, 2011
Evanston, IL

2 GA = .939
3 GA = .909
4 GA = .878

We're getting a lot of 2-or-less GA games (24), and a bunch of 4-or-more GA games (14) and few in between (7). Hellebuyck runs hot & cold...
I'd be surprised if this is unusual for a goalie. I glanced at Vasilevsky's stats from last year and they looked similar.

Reactions: ps241

tbcwpg

Jan 25, 2011

2 GA = .939
3 GA = .909
4 GA = .878

Curious if this takes empty netters into account?

DRW204

Dec 26, 2010
upload_2020-2-7_14-49-17.png

Jets4Life

Dec 25, 2003
Westward Ho, Alberta

2 GA = .939
3 GA = .909
4 GA = .878

I was checking out this web site:
NHL League Averages | Hockey-Reference.com

Apparently, average saving percentage peaked in 2015 at 0.915% and has been on a downward trajectory since. This season, goals per game are up slightly, and the average save percentage is 0.909%. Hellebuyck has been above average for 4 out of 5 seasons.

It seems goaltender save percentage was at an all-time low in 1981-82 at 0.873, then began to rise during the late 80s. It finally eclipsed 0.900 in 1994-95 during the beginning of the dead puck era. I assume with the new goaltending equipment rules, it may level off under 0.910.

wasup

Mar 21, 2018
Well, no that's not HF Boards at all. I shouldn't say you're an idiot, because that would contravene the "attack the post, not the poster" rule here. Instead, I should say this post is idiotic or to use the more common descriptor, asinine. :nod:
This is how it should be but but way too often isn't .

Hank Chinaski

May 29, 2007
YFO
Hellebuyck's game-by-game SV% is very hot and cold. He's .920 or better in 26 games, below .900 in 16 games, but he's only been between .900 and .920 in 3 games.

He either shuts the door or ****s the bed.

I may be wrong, but isn’t that a somewhat typical distribution for NHL goalies?

Just looking at someone like Vasilevski for an example with similar save percentage to Helle, he’s got 20 games above 0.920, 16 games below 0.900, and then just 5 in the 0.900 to 0.920 range.

Definitely there have been some swings with Helle this year, and eye test says that when he’s bad he’s REALLY bad. But doesn’t seem totally out of the norm?

Reactions: Duke749

Gm0ney

Unicorns salient
Oct 12, 2011
Winnipeg
I may be wrong, but isn’t that a somewhat typical distribution for NHL goalies?

Just looking at someone like Vasilevski for an example with similar save percentage to Helle, he’s got 20 games above 0.920, 16 games below 0.900, and then just 5 in the 0.900 to 0.920 range.

Definitely there have been some swings with Helle this year, and eye test says that when he’s bad he’s REALLY bad. But doesn’t seem totally out of the norm?
Yeah, looking at it again, it's seems obvious that it's just the way things break down when we "bin" the numbers like that. A SV% of .000 to .899 on the league average of 31 shots-against catches all the 4, 5, 6, etc. goals-against games. The .921 - 1.000 bin catches the 0, 1 and 2 goals against games... but only a 3 GA game will give you a .900-.920 SV%.

So I suppose we shouldn't try to draw any conclusions from that without a deeper look into a much larger sample.

Not sure what the conclusion would be anyway - Hellebuyck has good games and bad games - but way more good than bad? Ok then...carry on! :)

Reactions: ps241

Neuf

Leaving HFBoards for now
Dec 17, 2016
Another milestone achieved against Bucky. Comical how many players reach important points against him. :laugh:

irunthepeg

Board man gets paid
May 20, 2010
The Peg, Canada
'Member Helle's bad season?...
'Member how that was still better than prime Pavs?...
I 'member.

A reminder to never write a guy off after a bad season. We knew he had the potential to get back to this. Imagine what his numbers would have been like in the season where he put up .924% playing this good, plus having a fairly great defense in front of him :laugh:

Imcanadianeh

Nov 1, 2015
I feel like goals saved above expected is kind of flawed with Hellebuyck this year because he seems to bleed rebounds, he’s making the saves but he wouldn’t need to make them if he absorbed shots better and deflected/redirected incoming shots better.

IMO opinion Hellebuyck is having a good year but far from Vezina quality.

hasn’t it been something like 7 games he has let the first shot on net in?

he has almost has many bad games and he has good games.

Duke749

Savannah Ghost Pirates
Apr 6, 2010
Canton, Georgia
I feel like goals saved above expected is kind of flawed with Hellebuyck this year because he seems to bleed rebounds, he’s making the saves but he wouldn’t need to make them if he absorbed shots better and deflected/redirected incoming shots better.

I’m sorry but wtf?

Jets4Life

Dec 25, 2003
Westward Ho, Alberta
Hellebuyck should win the Vezina Trophy if the season does end. He carried the team for long stretches.

Helle has finally silenced his critics, and played some of his finest hockey ever for the past five months.

I am switching my avatar back to Helly. Not only in honor of the king of the crease, but I seem to have jinxed Berdin. After I changed my avatar to Berdin, he cooled off.

Gm0ney

Unicorns salient
Oct 12, 2011
Winnipeg
Hellebuyck should win the Vezina Trophy if the season does end. He carried the team for long stretches.

Helle has finally silenced his critics, and played some of his finest hockey ever for the past five months.

I am switching my avatar back to Helly. Not only in honor of the king of the crease, but I seem to have jinxed Berdin. After I changed my avatar to Berdin, he cooled off.
Does this mean Hellebuyck will cool off? Or is that okay because the league is on hiatus? Maybe your avatar should be whoever the Jets opponent is playing in net every game... ;)

irunthepeg

Board man gets paid
May 20, 2010
The Peg, Canada

PLEASE never, and I cannot emphasize this enough, contribute to this conversation again. Thank you.

Imcanadianeh

Nov 1, 2015
PLEASE never, and I cannot emphasize this enough, contribute to this conversation again. Thank you.
He certainly has really turned the season around in his last 10-15 games and has been lights out.

doesn’t change that his rebound control is still a huge problem and I’d prefer he never tried to handle the puck again.

he still has had plenty of really bad games this season and a horrible stretch of 12-15 games earlier in the season.

and like I said earlier because of his horrible rebound control he is facing many more high danger shots against then he needs to because of it.

rubikscube

Oct 27, 2017
Weinerpeg
He certainly has really turned the season around in his last 10-15 games and has been lights out.

doesn’t change that his rebound control is still a huge problem and I’d prefer he never tried to handle the puck again.

he still has had plenty of really bad games this season and a horrible stretch of 12-15 games earlier in the season.

and like I said earlier because of his horrible rebound control he is facing many more high danger shots against then he needs to because of it.
you're absolutely out to lunch on this

Adam da bomb

May 1, 2016

You trolling???

Reactions: Jets 31

boanst

May 25, 2013

Hellebuyck is sitting at a quality start % of .643. I'm not sure any goalie besides Rask has done better.

Whatever it is you see doesnt appear to have affected him that much.

Reactions: irunthepeg

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->