Player Discussion: 2023 Vezina Finalist Connor Hellebuyck

QuietContrarian

May 28, 2008
A bit late to the party, but I was really hard on Helly to begin the season.
Haven’t had my crow yet, so here we go.

f9dca823570d51c1ffea3fbb4b72cc4f--one-word-gypsy-soul.jpg

Jet

Free Capo!
Jul 20, 2004
Florida
He sagged a bit in mid December but really nice to see him bounce back. He battled last night but I didn't like the Chiarot goal. Helle looked like he peeked around the defenseman the wrong way and got off his angle a bit.

Ducky10

Searching for Mark Scheifele
Nov 14, 2014
He sagged a bit in mid December but really nice to see him bounce back. He battled last night but I didn't like the Chiarot goal. Helle looked like he peeked around the defenseman the wrong way and got off his angle a bit.
You mean the Chiarot goals.

Which one did you like less? They both sucked.

Reactions: surixon

Adam da bomb

May 1, 2016
Ppl were being hard on Helly someone even compared him to Pav but he’s been our best player the last few games.

White Out 902

I'm usually right.
Aug 17, 2017
Cape Breton Island
Clearly trending in the wrong direction. But what am I going to do? Lay this at his feet? The team in front of him isn't good enough either.

Any capital this team and Chevy had end of November with me has quickly been expended.

The Jets are who we thought we were. The board in general will take time coming onside with me and others on Helley.

AKAChip

Nov 19, 2013
Winnipeg
Clearly trending in the wrong direction. But what am I going to do? Lay this at his feet? The team in front of him isn't good enough either.

Any capital this team and Chevy had end of November with me has quickly been expended.

The Jets are who we thought we were. The board in general will take time coming onside with me and others on Helley.
Please comment on the graph posted a few posts above yours.

Romang67

BitterSwede
Jan 2, 2011
Evanston, IL

A month and a half ago:

dDM2JZC.png

Now:

oqRuY2t.png

Pictured above:

Goalie clearly trending in the wrong direction.

Please comment on the graph posted a few posts above yours.
Stats only matter when they show what we want them to show. Not many people know this, but it's actually an integral part of the scientific process.

tbcwpg

Jan 25, 2011

"I watched the most recent game and have made all.my snap judgments based on that".

kylbaz

Winnipeg <3
Nov 14, 2015
www.movingtowinnipeg.ca
Stats are stats. His save % is going down. Fast.

You can use whatever cockamamie graph to dress it up to tell the story you want.
Theres enough new stats created the past few years you can make any player look like they are playing elite hockey. Save people which has been used for decades gets ignored here when it goes down for some reason.

tbcwpg

Jan 25, 2011
Stats are stats. His save % is going down. Fast.

You can use whatever cockamamie graph to dress it up to tell the story you want.

Funny how this didn't come up two games ago with his 40 save shutout.

You're right, stats are stats. Those graphs display stats graphically - that the only reason they aren't dead last is Hellebuyck.

White Out 902

I'm usually right.
Aug 17, 2017
Cape Breton Island

You're right, stats are stats. Those graphs display stats graphically - that the only reason they aren't dead last is Hellebuyck.

No it doesn't. At least not with any objective authority.

Next thing you'll tell me is standings should be ranked by Corsi.

Romang67

BitterSwede
Jan 2, 2011
Evanston, IL
No it doesn't. At least not with any objective authority.

Next thing you'll tell me is standings should be ranked by Corsi.
I take it you have an informed opinion about why the stats are incorrect? The shot quality against Hellebuyck isn't actually as high as they claim? They have a vested interest in making Hellebuyck's numbers look better than they are?

It wouldn't have anything to do with your insistence that Hellebuyck is a below average goalie, the numbers be damned?

Jets4Life

Dec 25, 2003
Westward Ho, Alberta

I noticed the same thing. When Hellebuyck goes on a hot streak, you can hear crickets on threads regarding his performance. However, after a couple of mediocre games, the usual suspects are quick to point out that he is a bad goalie.

White Out 902

I'm usually right.
Aug 17, 2017
Cape Breton Island
I take it you have an informed opinion about why the stats are incorrect? The shot quality against Hellebuyck isn't actually as high as they claim? They have a vested interest in making Hellebuyck's numbers look better than they are?

It wouldn't have anything to do with your insistence that Hellebuyck is a below average goalie, the numbers be damned?

If I have to explain to you why shot quality is a subjective stat that doesn't translate very well to numbers, then we don't even have a starting place to begin.

This isn't baseball calling balls and strikes.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad