Former Bruins Connor Clifton

ON3M4N

Ignores/60 = Elite
Dec 13, 2015
Connecticut
Clifton hands down has been the biggest surprise this season for Boston. He's the kind of guy that can build a good fan following in Boston because of his style of play and size. He kind of reminds me of a Andrew Ference type, but with a bit of a meaner streak.

When the defense is 100% healthy, I don't see him being up here. I would imagine though that if the need for a RHD comes, he's the first call they make.

Reactions: dwright5314

GloryDaze4877

Barely Irrelevant
Jun 27, 2006
The Sticks (West MA)
Clifton hands down has been the biggest surprise this season for Boston. He's the kind of guy that can build a good fan following in Boston because of his style of play and size. He kind of reminds me of a Andrew Ference type, but with a bit of a meaner streak.

When the defense is 100% healthy, I don't see him being up here. I would imagine though that if the need for a RHD comes, he's the first call they make.

I think he’s a good candidate for 7th D over someone like Kampfer. He’s 23, played 4 years NCAA and one in PRO, so he’s not some 19/20 year old that you prefer down in the AHL or junior getting loads of ice. I believe NHL coaching would be more of a benefit to him at this point in his development.

ON3M4N

Ignores/60 = Elite
Dec 13, 2015
Connecticut
I think he’s a good candidate for 7th D over someone like Kampfer. He’s 23, played 4 years NCAA and one in PRO, so he’s not some 19/20 year old that you prefer down in the AHL or junior getting loads of ice. I believe NHL coaching would be more of a benefit to him at this point in his development.

Ya, I'd take him over Kampfer. I just don't know that this season he's a guy you keep up if he's just going to sit. Next year you let him compete for that #3RHD/#7 spot

BruinsFanSince94

The Perfect Fan ™
Sep 28, 2017
New England
Ya, I'd take him over Kampfer. I just don't know that this season he's a guy you keep up if he's just going to sit. Next year you let him compete for that #3RHD/#7 spot

I'm with you on this. We have Kampfer for this year, so may as well just run with him as the emergency defenseman. Let him go down, continue to play, and if he's needed just call him back up (or any of the young D that will be going down if everyone gets healthy).

False Start

May 8, 2018
Kid has big balls. I'll give him that.

Takes a lot of risks, offensive zone and defensive zone. I hate him and Krug together. Defensive assignments are a mess from what I've seen. But can't deny the kid can skate and move the puck and is willing to battle.

PB37

Mr Selke
Oct 1, 2002
Maine
Looks solid so far. Could be the fill in for Kevan Miller in a couple of years if the Bruins move on from him.

GordonHowe

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 21, 2005
Watertown, Massachusetts
Credit to the organization... the young defensemen who have been pressed into service of late (Lauzon, Clifton, Vaakanainen, Zboril, etc.) have all had varying degrees of success. Not sure there's a future in Boston for all them just due to numbers, but they all look as if they can play.

Been pretty impressed with Clifton.

Agreed, save Zboril. I don't believe he will be part of the Bruins organization for long.

22Brad Park

Nov 23, 2008
Calgary AB

Clifton to me moves the puck alot better and has more offensive upside then ,Miller ,and Carlo but does not kill penaltys like them or have the strength they have so is odd guy out .Shame really because Bruins are playing alot better since he entered back there.His passes are right on the tape.

bearcountry17

Jun 4, 2012
South Shore, MA
I really like this kid. Played over 24 minutes against the leafs and was still making confident plays at both ends of the ice. He's raw but he got a little "it" factor to his game.

rocketdan9

Feb 5, 2009
Looks like the Clifman has surpassed all of his peers (youngsters)

Better than Lauzon who has been making some silly mistakes as of late

Cliffy made one mistake yesterday but overall has been rock solid. Crisp 1st passes out of the zone. Loved the one sequence when he carried out the puck from the Bruins end, into the offensive zone. Underrated wheels/power stride

BruinDust

Aug 2, 2005
Looks like the Clifman has surpassed all of his peers (youngsters)

Better than Lauzon who has been making some silly mistakes as of late

Cliffy made one mistake yesterday but overall has been rock solid. Crisp 1st passes out of the zone. Loved the one sequence when he carried out the puck from the Bruins end, into the offensive zone. Underrated wheels/power stride

But they aren't really his peers. He's almost a full 2 years older than Lauzon or Zboril. Clifton will be 24 in April. He should be more polished.

And it's a bit premature anyways to proclaim he's surpassed Lauzon or whatever just because Lauzon has made a few mistakes.

Caper Bruins fan

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 4, 2011
Cape Breton
But they aren't really his peers. He's almost a full 2 years older than Lauzon or Zboril. Clifton will be 24 in April. He should be more polished.

And it's a bit premature anyways to proclaim he's surpassed Lauzon or whatever just because Lauzon has made a few mistakes.
He has played remarkably well for a guy who was brought in with little fanfare. I don’t study the Bruin prospects the way many do here but wasn’t Clifton looking like a guy who was destined for the AHL ?

BruinDust

Aug 2, 2005
He has played remarkably well for a guy who was brought in with little fanfare. I don’t study the Bruin prospects the way many do here but wasn’t Clifton looking like a guy who was destined for the AHL ?

Oh don't get me wrong, I've been very impressed with Clifton.

I just don't think it's fair to compare him to guys two full years younger.

rocketdan9

Feb 5, 2009

Both are rookies regardless.... its not like clifton has played pro before

And yes Lauzon mistakes were bad.. he took the puck to nowhere on the Marchand pass. Resulting in a possible costly rush on a pk! On the defensive end some so so passes out of the zone

Just overall Clifton has been sharper and more reliable. Even better than Kampfer and Krug at the defensive end at times ..and those guys should be much more polished right?

The don godfather

Jul 5, 2018
Woodbridge Ontario
What to do with this depth on D? It's ridiculous and have no room. How can you send down Clifton or lauzon? They playing with men. They are ready for full time positions now. Throwing them in the ahl makes no sense . Donny has to trade D for forward help no choice.

Reactions: TD Charlie

BruinDust

Aug 2, 2005
Both are rookies regardless.... its not like clifton has played pro before

And yes Lauzon mistakes were bad.. he took the puck to nowhere on the Marchand pass. Resulting in a possible costly rush on a pk! On the defensive end some so so passes out of the zone

Just overall Clifton has been sharper and more reliable. Even better than Kampfer and Krug at the defensive end at times ..and those guys should be much more polished right?

Pump the brakes your talking about what, 7 NHL games?

Steve Kampfer looked pretty good here too back in his first stint with the Bruins back in 2011, better than Clifton does now, and we all know how that turned out for him.

I've liked the work done by both Clifton and Cave since their recall, but the hype around both players here the past week is ridiculous.

EdwardSharpe

Apr 26, 2017
I like him, good first pass, nice wheels and hits hard. Boston needs some younger players who can skate but also play a physical game. I would rather trade Lauzon, to many good left handed defenseman.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad