Connor Brown's worth

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
Is he at the top of the list for cap casualties next season?

standers

Dec 1, 2015
Brown is good.
He probably doesn't fit with the team anymore.
I can see him have an Andrew Cogliano type career if he is moved from the leafs...

Randy Randerson

Jul 28, 2016
Hamilton
Faksa is a center and brings more to his game than Brown. They honestly aren't very comparable other than the fact that they are both bottom 6 forwards.

Sheahan is a center as well, but both he and Rieder are underperforming in a big way and have been for a few years. Neither player is worth more than $1.2-1.5. They're both good comparables in that they're all underperforming players though.
try not to lose the forest for the trees, the guys producing around him are generally comparable in terms of level of players, there was a lot more than the ones I mentioned. The concept of "worth" is very relative, and it really looks like Brown is at least average in his peer group (by production) even in a year that he's been unlucky

Albus Dumbledore

Master of Death
Mar 28, 2015
2nd+4th imo, middle scoring winger that can play up and down the lineup and all situations. He obviously needs a change of scenery his game has just been so stale for awhile, he lacks iq and creativity right now.

ToDavid

Dec 13, 2018
In a league-wide context, is he worth $2.1 million? Absolutely. Look around the league and see what sorts of useless plugs make $3 or even $4 million these days. His contract certainly isn't a bad one. In the context of our roster or in the context of any roster with a lot high end players on it (Tampa, Jets, etc.), should a 4th line player be paid $2.1 million? No. You pay your stars and fill in the gaps with ELCs and other low priced project players.

I still don't think he's the highest priority in terms of cap savings (Zaitsev) but his position is probably the easiest to fill if we want to free up ~$1 million.

ToDavid

Dec 13, 2018

I don't see him being a top priority because the savings wouldn't be that great, but he could be the first one to go just because he's the easiest to replace with a cheaper guy.

Reactions: ACC1224

Znith

Aug 16, 2012
Would be a great fit with the Oilers on McDavid's RW. Played with McD in the O and had success.

Could see an offseason trade, as the leafs can bump up a guy like Trevor Moore for league min salary

Once

Jul 16, 2010
Connor Brown will be a cap casualty but he is a big moment player and is valuable down the stretch/playoff time.

thewave

Jun 17, 2011
In a league-wide context, is he worth $2.1 million? Absolutely. Look around the league and see what sorts of useless plugs make $3 or even $4 million these days. His contract certainly isn't a bad one. In the context of our roster or in the context of any roster with a lot high end players on it (Tampa, Jets, etc.), should a 4th line player be paid $2.1 million? No. You pay your stars and fill in the gaps with ELCs and other low priced project players.

I still don't think he's the highest priority in terms of cap savings (Zaitsev) but his position is probably the easiest to fill if we want to free up ~$1 million.

Generally if you have a good farm, you're better off trading guys like Brown and giving guys a shot to end the season. You get more pop, look at Brown, he's riding a good season and Babcock love affair. He just isn't of any use offensively and there are other options for the PK.

Matthews34

Oct 9, 2009
Uxbridge
He's probably gone this summer, likely a cap casualty I'd imagine. If not gone this summer then he plays out his contract and he's gone after that for sure.

There are many internal replacements currently developing who bring more to the table.

I actually think Matthews has been brutal lately. Lol

TheScandal89

Jun 26, 2016
I"ve been rooting for him since I found out about him by checking up on Mckegg, but feel as if his time here is slowly coming to an end. Its unfortunate how he's slipped down the RW depth chart but I saw it coming 2 years ago. Will be sad to see a homegrown hometown boy get traded for sure.

I feel he plays the game right, with great hockey I.Q, but lacks a great shot, size, strength, speed, etc. He's a good all around player, especially defensively, but not really great at anything.

As to his value, can't see it being much more then like a 3rd. More or less, I see him being a throw in sweetner on a bigger deal.

RLF

May 5, 2014
Is Conner Brown worth 2.1 million? Is 12g & 30pts all that 2.1 million buys you nowadays?

How things change. A lot on here thought no way he gets less than $3M per and deserves it, before he signed. Now he isn't worth $2.1.

FlyingLeafus

But what about the playoffs?
Jan 4, 2009
Milton
He's been better, but what in the world do you guys think a 2M dollar player needs to contribute to be worth his contract? Especially since its short term. Not happy with his offensive numbers? That's not why he is on the team, we have other players who do that. On the list of Leaf weaknesses, our bottom 6 winger struggling somewhat offensively is way down there. Brown is fine in his current role and can only get better as the games start to get more intense heading into the second half.

SeaOfBlue

The Passion That Unites Us All
Aug 1, 2013
I think he's gone by the TDL and replaced by Moore. I think Gauthier could also be someone the Leafs use. Both are ready for more opportunities than what they would be getting on the Leafs going forward, and they have some good value on the trade market.

I can see the Leafs using Brown, Gauthier + picks and prospects (some from the Marlies and possibly even some guys like Rasanen) to get big body and a top 4 defenseman. I would also personally use Gardiner to ease the hit on the picks and prospects, but I do not think Dubas is that creative unfortunately... Even though he'd maximize assets and improve the team at the same time.

sxvnert

Nov 23, 2015
Is Conner Brown worth 2.1 million? Is 12g & 30pts all that 2.1 million buys you nowadays?
They paid him 2.1m because of the 20G season and his potential. At best hes a 4th line, 1m hockey player. If hes willing to resign at 1-1.2m when his contract is over, fine, otherwise move him.

Reactions: Faltorvo

Jozay

Jul 9, 2012
Toronto
good fourth liner, but the Leafs wont have the luxury of paying a 4th liner 2 million in the future. This is probably his last season as a leaf.

Kinda sucks, because it looked like he had top 6 potential after his first year, but he's regressed offensively. Plus he's a hometown guy who dreamed of playing for the Leafs, so it sucks it wont workout for him here.

Reactions: Faltorvo

moon111

Oct 18, 2014
There's been many players in Connor Brown's ballpark that thought they could earn a living based on their offensive skillset.
There's a difference between Josh Leivo and Connor Brown: commitment to defensive play and the ability to stay in the league.

Faltorvo

Feb 18, 2008

yup,, when 750k is out playing 2.1m

by the looks of it that 1.3m will matter next season.

BUT, if he steps up and earns that cap hit during money season, well , new debate.

Faltorvo

Feb 18, 2008
There's been many players in Connor Brown's ballpark that thought they could earn a living based on their offensive skillset.
There's a difference between Josh Leivo and Connor Brown: commitment to defensive play and the ability to stay in the league.

given our up coming cap issues, there is little room for some one making 2,1m cap hit for what he is producing.

TheProspector

Oct 18, 2007
Orlando
Good for a 20 goal scorer. Not good for his current production. But it's hard to figure out what he is offensively in 2019 with him being so buried in the defensive zone -- and he's put up decent numbers in light of that. What's interesting is that he's actually almost dead on average his point production pace of the prior 2 years - 1.32, 1.4, 1.41 points per 60 minutes played.

We probably can't afford him either way.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad