Connor Brown VS Claude Giroux (for the Senators)

Brown @ $5m x 5yrs VS Giroux at $6.5m x 3yrs

• Total voters

Samsquanch

Raging Bull Squatch
Nov 28, 2008
Sudbury
Simple question. If you were the Ottawa Senators, would Brown at 5 x 5 have been a better deal and fit than Giroux at $6.5 x 3yrs?

A deranged radio host in Ottawa seems to believe this to be the case...... please help me bury him.

xVolchenkov

Jun 21, 2011
Ottawa
Giroux, not close. I love Brown but he’s ideally a 3rd liner when you’re competitive and I wouldn’t want to be paying him 5m per year even if he’s probably worth it. Beyond points, I expect Giroux to be a great mentor for the youth and really add a lot of leadership to Ottawa.

Reactions: Samsquanch

Connor McConnor

Nov 22, 2017
A bonafide top 6er on less term and a bit higher salary vs. a 3rd liner making $5x5? Brown is a very good 3rd liner but cmon. Giroux is still close to a PPG player

BoHorvat 53

What's a god to a Kane
Dec 9, 2014
Giroux pretty easily. Last year after he got off the tire fire known as the Flyers, he finished the regular season with 23 points in 18 games while shooting half of what his shooting percentage has been the last few years. He's very versatile, capable of playing all 3 forward positions, is elite at faceoffs, and is very good defensively. Comparing the 2 is honestly kind of disrespectful, as Giroux is still easily an all-star in this league and at that cap hit should be a bargain for this year and probably the next, too.

biturbo19

Jul 13, 2010
Giroux can still be a gamebreaker. Not sure how many more years of that he's got in him, but it's not a terribly long contract anyway.

Brown is...a decent middle-6er.

Not close for me. I take G.

Samsquanch

Raging Bull Squatch
Nov 28, 2008
Sudbury
Giroux pretty easily. Last year after he got off the tire fire known as the Flyers, he finished the regular season with 23 points in 18 games while shooting half of what his shooting percentage has been the last few years. He's very versatile, capable of playing all 3 forward positions, is elite at faceoffs, and is very good defensively. Comparing the 2 is honestly kind of disrespectful, as Giroux is still easily an all-star in this league and at that cap hit should be a bargain for this year and probably the next, too.

You can thank Shawn Simpson (a failed NHL executive and currently on an AM radio sports station morning show) for this disrespectful question.

He's literally gone on rants now on back to back days about how Ottawa made the wrong choice, and Brown might even outscore Giroux next season (and beyond). He's doubled down on this idea to put it another way.

Total clown but a disturbing amount of people in Ottawa gobble anything this guy says up and get right behind it.

Reactions: TheGoldenJet

Akrapovince

May 19, 2017
Giroux is more productive, arguably on a contract structure that fits our team more, and without using it sarcastically, his intangibles for this team is worth its weight in gold.

I know it sounds stupid, but signing a big name free agent like Giroux creates a culture that is more important than re-signing Brown. He brings stuff that Brown doesn’t to the table, and the stuff that Brown excels at can be replaced pretty easily.

We are full up and down with high intensity players with great motors. We are lacking a legitimate top six veteran that is great on face offs that can produce 55-60+ points.

The gap between Giroux and Brown is bigger than the gap between Brown and Motte to be completely honest.

Also face offs and teaching Jimmy, this team while Giroux is under contract for the next three years is better than it would be with Brown. And that’s no slight to him, he’s awesome but Giroux is Giroux.

Last edited:

Samsquanch

Raging Bull Squatch
Nov 28, 2008
Sudbury
The gap between Giroux and Brown is bigger than the gap between Brown and Motte to be completely honest.

Also face offs and teaching Jimmy, this team while Giroux is under contract for the next three years is better than it would be with Brown. And that’s no slight to him, he’s awesome but Giroux is Giroux.

This is the honest to god truth. Giroux in one preseason game was buzzing around the ice and making plays that Conor Brown is not capable of making. He definitely has not lost a step by the looks of it so far.

Brown played the most minutes of any Senators forward (avg TOI) over his 3 seasons there - and it would be hard to see him ever getting that kind of opportunity ever again at this point time, Im guessing he production takes a step back. And I wouldnt be shocked at all to see the points gap between himself and Tyler Motte be a fraction of the size of the gap between him and Giroux at the end of next season.

Last edited:

Akrapovince

May 19, 2017
This is the honest to god truth. Giroux in one preseason game was buzzing around the ice and making plays that Conor Brown is not capable of making. He definitely has not lost a step by the looks of it so far.

Brown played the most minutes of any Senators forward (avg TOI) over his 3 seasons there - and it would be hard to see him ever getting that kind of opportunity ever again at this point time, Im guessing he production takes a step back. And I wouldnt be shocked at all to see the points gap between himself and Tyler Motte be a fraction of the size of the gap between him and Giroux at the end of next season.

His skating wasn’t ever an issue but we are lying to ourselves if we think that’s why he’s excelled his whole career.

Every single thing he’s good at leads me to believe he will be more than a capable top six forward for the duration of his time in Ottawa.

He just sees the ice so well, every time he touches the puck something happens. I guess the same could be said about Brown, but like I said, Giroux can do most if not everything Brown can do and some things at the higher level, there’s a lot Brown can’t do that Giroux can.

NyQuil

Big F$&*in Q
Jan 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON
Brown is a fine player.

He has the motor of a 3rd liner and some of the offensive instincts of a top six guy, particularly as a playmaker and cycle producer.

If he could actually score more on his many high quality opportunities, he'd easily be a top six player. His odd-man rushes and breakaways are produced via diligent defensive effort.

But he doesn't, and it can lead to frustration at times, where he leaves you expecting more offensively.

I really like the guy - if he's playing on your 3rd line, you're in really good shape as a team. If he's playing in your top six, it could be a bit of a Hyman type situation where his work ethic and hustle complement the skill player fairly well.

But I still think he ends up leaving you wanting more from an offensive point of view. I had been expecting big things from him this year after leading the World Championships in points, famously setting up the Gold Medal winning OT goal on a 2 on 1 with fellow Sen (at the time) Nick Paul.

He would play within a stronger top six, with options like Stutzle to play with on a regular basis. I don't think he produced as much as I liked given the opportunity.

I still think Giroux can do more, particularly on the PP where Brown is not the stationary stickhandling skill guy and is better in transition and in the general run of play. It's a bit of a weakness in his "top six skill set", and a big reason why I think he doesn't score enough points and is more of a tweener.

Over the past three years with Ottawa, Connor Brown has 4 of his 47 goals on the PP, 13 of his 117 points on a modest but not insignificant 1:43 per game.

Giroux may be old but he was competing for the Art Ross not all that long ago. People have been sleeping on Patrick Kane for years and he keeps plugging along.
I'm expecting decent 2nd line numbers from him (55+ points) but hopefully also serve as a mentor for Tim Stutzle who could be poised for big things.

Last edited:
Reactions: Xspyrit

Xspyrit

DJ Dorion
Jun 29, 2008
Montreal, Canada
I realized I didn't mention it in this thread but Giroux is basically a Connor Brown DELUXE version. They play in all situations, are very versatile and are basically coach's dreams. They have a similar all around game but Giroux just has a better offensive skillset and a higher hockey IQ.

The only thing Brown has is that he is a plus skater and is younger. But gambling on Giroux for 3 years was the right move. A veteran leader from the area on top of everything was needed. Giroux contract will expire when a guy like Greig (for example) will become more expensive so this is a perfect stop gap veteran contract.

And if Giroux wants to continue on cheap 1 year deals ala Spezza/Giordano, he would be welcome as well. If he's still good by then, that would give the Sens a serious boost in the playoffs.

Last edited:

Kuz

May 11, 2015
Connor Brown with 5 mill cant compete with Giroux with 6,5 mill. Caps got him for a second round pick with a 3,6 million cap hit. With a cap hit around that you could discuss it as 3 mill less could give you a valuable piece somewhere else. 1,5 mill is not enough to make this a discussion.

swiftwin

★SUMMER.OF.PIERRE★
Jul 26, 2005
Giving someone like Connor Brown a 5 year extension at 29 sounds really dangerous to me. He relies heavily on his speed and motor. Once that starts to drop with age, his effectiveness as a player will decline rapidly.

mapleleafslaughssame

May 20, 2022
Giroux no doubt still really good and will show glimpses of his former self.

Brown is a bottom 6 player probably overpaid by 1 mill.

Xspyrit

DJ Dorion
Jun 29, 2008
Montreal, Canada
Brown is a bottom 6 player probably overpaid by 1 mill.

lol the guy has paced for ~50 pts per 82 games for 3 straight seasons and nearly 90% of that production came at Even Strength or Short Handed

Oh and he lead all the Senators forwards in TOI/GP during that period of time and was 2nd in the NHL for SH/GP

Connor Brown has been a HUGE bargain, one of the best contracts among NHL veterans.

But yeah these facts can't compete with "bottom 6 player probably overpaid by 1 mill." :sarcasm:

mapleleafslaughssame

May 20, 2022
lol the guy has paced for ~50 pts per 82 games for 3 straight seasons and nearly 90% of that production came at Even Strength or Short Handed

Oh and he lead all the Senators forwards in TOI/GP during that period of time and was 2nd in the NHL for SH/GP

Connor Brown has been a HUGE bargain, one of the best contracts among NHL veterans.

But yeah these facts can't compete with "bottom 6 player probably overpaid by 1 mill." :sarcasm:
Key word on ottawa

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad