Connor Brown and Trade

Cobra777

Jun 26, 2018
Wasaga Beach
Loved Brown his 1st season he scored, was better with the puck, good defensively, nice shorty goals on the pk, I dont know what happened but it is true he loses puck battles constant and always getting knocked down on his ass, has hands of cement both offensively and wiffs on the puck trying to clear the puck on the pk mostly this season, again I don't know what happened or why he has dropped off so far because he was great his 1st season.
He does try an gives an honest effort but things just are not going his way, his skill set has dropped off substantially from his 1st season and I really hoped for the best for him as he is an Ontario boy, I hate seeing this happen to him but it is what it is.

jrgtml67

Sep 12, 2011
Brown for Larsson? LOL. Brown as the "center piece" in a Larsson deal might be true if the side pieces were more valuable than the center piece. Or, maybe Dubas took the day off and Santa Claus was filling in for Kyle and Santa was making the deal.

Ugh it's not far fetched. Dubas hinted at something "did not want to mortgage young assets and take away from the NhL roster. I'm guessing it would've been Brown, 2nd and Tim maybe. Larsson hasn't been good on the Oilers he wont fetch the same price as when he and hall went 1v1

jrgtml67

Sep 12, 2011
The OP said "center piece".

Ya as in the 2 NHL guys going the other way the leafs would've had to add a higher end prospect, and maybe a 2nd or 3rd rounder. Rumor was that oilers wanted to give us Benning instead...hence no deal.

Ryan Michaels

Mar 21, 2017
I have no problem trading Brown because he sucks, other teams will have a problem trading a top 4 RHD for him for the same reason. And no, I don't care if it's a package, if he's the main piece that package is not returning a quality D.

HoweHullOrr

Oct 3, 2013
Ugh it's not far fetched. Dubas hinted at something "did not want to mortgage young assets and take away from the NhL roster. I'm guessing it would've been Brown, 2nd and Tim maybe. Larsson hasn't been good on the Oilers he wont fetch the same price as when he and hall went 1v1

There is one part of your statement that I agree with - the bolded words in blue font. If "Tim" means Liljegren, then Brown isn't the so called "center piece" either then.

HoweHullOrr

Oct 3, 2013
Ya as in the 2 NHL guys going the other way the leafs would've had to add a higher end prospect, and maybe a 2nd or 3rd rounder. Rumor was that oilers wanted to give us Benning instead...hence no deal.

Not sure what you are trying to say as its not very clear. Maybe what you were intending to say in the first half of the 1st sentence was: " If there were 2 NHL players being offered by Edmonton, then the Leafs ......."?

I'll try to approach this in a simple way. IF there were other pieces from the Leafs being added on top of Brown, then its very possible that Brown was not the so called "center piece".

Last edited:

cgc83

30-HELENS-AGREE
Jul 8, 2018
Hes been terrible except on the PK. He almost never wins battles, when he does he loses it. In the O zone hes screwed up so many plays it's not funny. With all the high interest at the TD I believe he goes in the off season as part of a deal for a RHD
Absolutely see this guy gone in the summer . Not hating he's just generally ineffective (except pk) . If by some miracle he somehow just became an antagonist or super pest for the playoffs ... that would be super but not realistic at this point

jrgtml67

Sep 12, 2011
Absolutely see this guy gone in the summer . Not hating he's just generally ineffective (except pk) . If by some miracle he somehow just became an antagonist or super pest for the playoffs ... that would be super but not realistic at this point

Well..he makes 2.10mill has 2yrs left. Unfortunately we need room and not just for Marner but Johnny and Kapenen. So I think hes for sure done. I also think Kadri maybe a cap casualty. Nylander is supposed to be a center and done pretty well in his absence. His offense has taken a dip from his hot streak..however I don't think it's just because if his heightened d responsibility. That line is not what we should be rolling. Brown is 100percent the issue there. Marleaus looked s lot better the last 5 or 6 games, they get into the O zone and brown cant hit the net or make a pass..or even win a battle. They need to try Moore or Petan up there. Moore is showing her better than Brown in a short time.. no question. Also AM is suffering because Johnny and Kapenen are scores, they think shoot first, and also have passing issues. Funnily enough Babcock said you cant have all offensive guys on one line, because they all want the puck. I don't get why he doesn't put a guy on his wing that's more like Hyman or at least isnt a shooter. With Marleau and his recent play I'd put him there for now or even Moore/Petan. Nylander needs to go with AM and I think it was coming but Kadri got hurt.

Anyway we have a lot to do in the summer. I think Rosen, Borgman, Sandin..maybe 2 of them make the team. Hainsey may stay but hed have to be cheap. But I think hainsey goes, Gardiner gone..hence 2 spots open..unless we make a trade with more than likely Carolina for a RHD. Not sure who is available as UFA. Then..if Petan proves better than goat, goat is gone as well. And I think that's why we traded Lindy as well, knowing he was ufa and Petan has untapped skill. Then finally some Marlie wingers may make it...if they don't get traded for that RHD I'd say Bracco, Marchment are the 2 closest maybe Brooks. Marchment is exactly what we need. Nasty guy who can score, but had an injury riddled season so far.

Be nice to off load Zaitsev but unsure if we can. Marleau is too good of a leader to let go, and the young stars consider him like a father.

So lines next year

Johnny/Marleau AM Moore
HY JT Marner
Marleau/Johnny Nylander Kap
March Petan Bracco

Rielly (trade for RHD)
Muz/Der Zaitsev (Rose, Borg Sandin)
Muz/Der (Rose, Borg Sandin)

Counted timmy out for now I feel like he most likely is a must piece to include for that RHD trade, and I'd rather have Sandin and I think the leafs do too, since he was untouchable this yr.

jaric1862

Jan 14, 2014
Colby Cave+ NYI 2019 3rd+EDM 2020 6th round pick for Connor Brown

Last edited:

moon111

Oct 18, 2014
Currently tied for 6th on the team for 1st assists. 2nd best for any Leaf RW.

jrgtml67

Sep 12, 2011
Wait, you want to see a 1st line of Marleau-Matthews-Moore next season?

It's not a want..its easy to figure out we need to make a trade or 2 and Kadri maybe odd guy out, with Brown. Si that said unless we get a ufa center or trade for one..I assume Nylander moves to that position. Then assume Moore stays up, Bracco deserves a fair look hes tying and or breaking Marlie offensive numbers this year.

So look at the lines per say no trade for a center

We know

Hyman Jt Marner
Petan Goat Bracco

Leaves AM line and old Kadri line

Marleau AM Johnny/Moore
Moore/Johnny Nylander Kapenen

Moore I feel is a lot like Hyman, maybe its Moore AM Johnny then Marleau Nylander Kapenen.

Tak7

Nov 1, 2009
GTA or the UK
Why is it, that as soon as a player struggles here, we demand he be traded lol?

Guess what - he sucks right now. The rest of the league will be aware of that too. Nobody is going to give away value for someone like that.

MyBudJT

Mar 5, 2018
Brown at 2.1 (and possibly less on his next contract) > Johansson or Kapanen anywhere close to 4.

I don't see him gettng traded.

TML Dynasty

May 2, 2016
Why is it, that as soon as a player struggles here, we demand he be traded lol?

Guess what - he sucks right now. The rest of the league will be aware of that too. Nobody is going to give away value for someone like that.
I think he's still value for his price tag......its just we need to replace for a cheaper body. Wont be hard to move IMO

jrgtml67

Sep 12, 2011
Brown at 2.1 (and possibly less on his next contract) > Johansson or Kapanen anywhere close to 4.

I don't see him gettng traded.

Well Johnny and Kap will get 4ish each. Thereby, Brown is gone, unless 1 or 2 things happen. First Zaitsev is offloaded, or we trade Marleau to SJ for his final season. Zaits will mean we retain, question is how much.

I think more then likely its Brown and or Kadri gone. But first its be brown. It's clear Moore is an NHL player and I also would love to see Bracco up. Hes setting AHL records (for the Marlies) he just passed or tied Johnsson for pts/goals in a season. Hes like Marner just lesser. In fact he would have more points if his mates were NHL skill. Minus Adam Brooks who was also playing well before injury.

Anyway you dice it we have several moves to make. Now unless Dubas gets a blow your mind deal for Nylander I think we have no intent on trading him. I think he surpasses Kadris center skill easily. In fact in Kadris absence Nylander did quite well centering the 3rd line.

Dubas also said its who you surround the stars with that build a cup team. It's TRUE. Tampa has Kuch, Stammer, Hedman, Sergachev, Johnson and Vase. The rest are role guys who play there part amazingly well.

Now our elite, Matty, Marner,JT, Nylander our Johnson is Johnsson and Kapenen, then Freddy and Rielly, Dermott (think Travis is future tip 2 D)

Guys in support roles

Marleau, Brown, Ennis, Moore, Goat, Petan, rest of D (Muzzin is better then hes shown, Zaitsev makes him look bad a lot).

Now Ennis is probably gone, he deserves a raise but we cant afford that for a 4th liner. Maybe we can if Brown goes. Petan I feel will play a lot more next year he stays. Hainsey I think goes, Gardiner walks unless he takes way less then hes worth..if he stays somehow then Kadri is gone and the big one we need to get rid of Zaitsev, but again we will be retaining.

So many possibilities, its impossible to say what is for sure, what is wishful thinking. But I have 100% confidence in Dubas.

MyBudJT

Mar 5, 2018
Well Johnny and Kap will get 4ish each. Thereby, Brown is gone, unless 1 or 2 things happen. First Zaitsev is offloaded, or we trade Marleau to SJ for his final season. Zaits will mean we retain, question is how much.

I think more then likely its Brown and or Kadri gone. But first its be brown. It's clear Moore is an NHL player and I also would love to see Bracco up. Hes setting AHL records (for the Marlies) he just passed or tied Johnsson for pts/goals in a season. Hes like Marner just lesser. In fact he would have more points if his mates were NHL skill. Minus Adam Brooks who was also playing well before injury.

Anyway you dice it we have several moves to make. Now unless Dubas gets a blow your mind deal for Nylander I think we have no intent on trading him. I think he surpasses Kadris center skill easily. In fact in Kadris absence Nylander did quite well centering the 3rd line.

Dubas also said its who you surround the stars with that build a cup team. It's TRUE. Tampa has Kuch, Stammer, Hedman, Sergachev, Johnson and Vase. The rest are role guys who play there part amazingly well.

Now our elite, Matty, Marner,JT, Nylander our Johnson is Johnsson and Kapenen, then Freddy and Rielly, Dermott (think Travis is future tip 2 D)

Guys in support roles

Marleau, Brown, Ennis, Moore, Goat, Petan, rest of D (Muzzin is better then hes shown, Zaitsev makes him look bad a lot).

Now Ennis is probably gone, he deserves a raise but we cant afford that for a 4th liner. Maybe we can if Brown goes. Petan I feel will play a lot more next year he stays. Hainsey I think goes, Gardiner walks unless he takes way less then hes worth..if he stays somehow then Kadri is gone and the big one we need to get rid of Zaitsev, but again we will be retaining.

So many possibilities, its impossible to say what is for sure, what is wishful thinking. But I have 100% confidence in Dubas.

Why are Johnsson and Kapanen a lock,?

Rookie seasons
U23 Brown: 20G 36P
U25 Johnsson: 20G 40P
U23 Kapanen: 21

MyBudJT

Mar 5, 2018

Guys in support roles

Rookie seasons
U23 Kapanen: 19G 42P

Brown @2.1 > Kap @4 > johnsson @4

TML Dynasty

May 2, 2016
Why Brown and not Johansson or Kapanen that will likely ask for twice the money...
Its true. I think we can bridge them for close but am a little worried about Johansson and his arbitration rights. Kaps speed and heavy play is why I pick him over brown....Johansson's tenacity is why I like him over brown. But yeah they could certainly price themselves out.

Muston Atthews

Bunch of Bangerz
Jul 2, 2009
Toronto, Ontario
Could stomach him if he didn’t make 2.1 but he does. Can’t score , can’t pass, doesn’t hit anymore. He used to be a useful forward but now he does nothing. There’s no such thing as an elite penalty killer. We should have our best players out on the PK like every other good team does

jrgtml67

Sep 12, 2011

Rookie seasons
U23 Kapanen: 21

Different players both a speedy, one is still with AM..hello did Brown ever crack line 1 ever? No he didnt. If you'd rather Brown over the other 2 I think you are really mistaken

Brown has been terrible this year. Even Babcock had to see it..took him long enough but now Brown is on the 4th line. Last several weeks hes stapled to the bench in the 3rd period very often. Kapenen has elite speed and shot also better at PK than Brown is. Johnny is fast, plays with a nasty edge we lack. Brown is fast, loses battles and is decent on the PK. I take Johnny and Kap any day of the week.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->