Confirmed with Link: Connolly, Riley Stillman and Henrik Borgstrom plus a 7th Rd pick in exchange for Carlsson/Wallmark

KW

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 21, 2006
With Lundell coming soon as the Cats future at L 2 C, obviously Borg's rights were seen by Mr. Z as a movable asset; as had no position (other than depth) with this team as it's currently constructed. While he's certainly skilled offensively, he would not best fill the L 3 C / 4C roles as well as Lou (or even Wennberg if he returns). Lammer at L 4 C, with Acciari on one of the L 3 or L 4 wings; all are better suited to meet the role for those spots.

Also, I don't personally see how Borg really projects well as a winger. With all the board and corner work that demands, unless he's dramatically changed his game during his time in Europe, is not really very well suited for it.
Agreed, Borg is one of those pretty talented players that people can get stuck on because “he should be good any year now”. And then they wait and wait and wait.... we’ve had a few of those so I’m totally okay with Z packaging him in this deal.

ProjectPanthers

Podcast discussing the Florida Panthers
Mar 6, 2002
Towanna
linktr.ee
I said 2 years ago Borg was a bum and I stand by that stance.

That said, he's shown talent before and has a big frame. If he can put on some weight and play a simpler game he might still be an NHLer when it's all said and done. Chicago will give him a chance.

With Lundell he was pretty much pointless to keep around.

Reactions: Cold Cat

scholl

Jun 26, 2019
Helsinki, Finland
I'm still a little bummed the Panthers didn't move up to pick Chychrun in 2016, but I wish Borg the best. He seems like a good kid.

You win some, you lose some. Niki played very well in the NCAA and I thought he will be successful quickly in the NHL. It didn't happen but look how Bennett came in this spring. Every player needs the right environment to make it and success is never certain. Nobody can make perfect draft picks every single time. I also wish him the best. This season didn't end up very well because of Covid and he didn't play very well. Bronze medal was kind of a disappointment but when he returns to the NHL this time in Chicago he will have a new opportunity. I hope he does well.

Reactions: IM Clutcm

Little Bobby Boo

Jul 30, 2014
I said 2 years ago Borg was a bum and I stand by that stance.

That said, he's shown talent before and has a big frame. If he can put on some weight and play a simpler game he might still be an NHLer when it's all said and done. Chicago will give him a chance.

With Lundell he was pretty much pointless to keep around.
Man I hate takes like this. Calling a 23 year old a bum who grew like 9 inches after his draft year, to be selected in the first round, which wasn't his choice.

Borg did nothing (that I'm aware of) to make fans hate him or turn on him. He just simply didn't pan out... like so many other young players before him.

He's a good dude with a ton of talent, who could thrive playing with Kane and Debrincat.

SoupyFIN

#OneTerritory
Nov 7, 2011
Borg did nothing (that I'm aware of) to make fans hate him or turn on him. He just simply didn't pan out... like so many other young players before him.
I mean, the report that he pouted about being sent down and thought he deserved to be in the NHL definitively left a sour taste in my mouth. He played like utter shite that 2nd season and earned that demotion.

Reactions: Chino Oscar

Pigge

Feb 28, 2002
Man I hate takes like this. Calling a 23 year old a bum who grew like 9 inches after his draft year, to be selected in the first round, which wasn't his choice.

He's a good dude with a ton of talent, who could thrive playing with Kane and Debrincat.
Indeed. Looking at Forsling, we should all be aware that players can make jumps in development when they are 24 if they end up in the right circumstances.

letsgrowcactus

Jan 21, 2017
Indeed. Looking at Forsling, we should all be aware that players can make jumps in development when they are 24 if they end up in the right circumstances.
People were saying initially it would take him five years to reach the NHL; it's just that he looked so good in college and we were so desperate for players that he was rushed.

Little Bobby Boo

Jul 30, 2014
I mean, the report that he pouted about being sent down and thought he deserved to be in the NHL definitively left a sour taste in my mouth. He played like utter shite that 2nd season and earned that demotion.
Were you never young and stupid?

SoupyFIN

#OneTerritory
Nov 7, 2011
Were you never young and stupid?
Of course, then again I've never been a professional athlete and held the responsibilities that come with it. I certainly wouldn't be dumb enough to talk myself up when I know I've done a poor job, but that's more of a personality thing rather than age, I guess. :dunno:

Boughner probably wasn't the coach to properly develop prospects, he was too lackadaisical about playing a 200-foot game and allowing players to repeat the same mistakes over and over again, but we shouldn't underestimate how much Borg's offseason training had an effect on his development, or rather lack thereof. That short stint at the end of 2017-18 showed promise in a raw player, but we all expected him to improve from there on. Offseason went by, Borg comes to camp and still looks the same. Alright, he's still developing. Season goes by, as does the offseason, Borg comes to his 2nd training camp. Still looks the same, some would argue worse. So no surprises when Q, who's notoriously tough love on rookies, gives Borg very little rope and he spends almost the whole season in the minors.

Like I know our AHL development has been terrible for at least a decade now, but can we really blame anyone there or on the NHL coaching staff for Borg's lack of progress during the offseason? I wouldn't, and this is where Borg's hubris, which we knew was bigger than Bryzgalov's universe from the moment we drafted him, may have actually hurt him.

I wish him nothing but the best and hopefully he becomes an NHLer in Chicago, but I just don't think it's as simple as FLA failed to develop him.

Chino Oscar

Jul 22, 2002
West Palm Beach

I think it was an interview with George Richards where he mentioned when Borg was sent down to the AHL ... last year?, instead of taking it on the chin and dominating in the AHL with more ice time, he pouted and sulked because he thought he deserved to be in the NHL and didn't produce much. That soured Borg's relationship with management and it went downhill from there, although Zito mentioned things were good with Borg when he took over. One of those things, maybe Borg made up his mind to not play for the Panthers.

Ghoste

#JustGetIn
Sponsor
Sep 14, 2005
San Diego, CA
Borg had a spot ready and waiting for him. All he had to do was show up to camp in top shape. Maybe put on a little muscle.

None of the above happened.
Yep, they handed him a spot and he couldn’t take it. Too bad because I was hyped watching him in Denver.

On another note, kinda looks like Stiller is playing good for Chicago. Good for him, I liked the kid.

-ghoste

Vilam

#Catlantic
Feb 8, 2012
San Francisco

Borg had a spot ready and waiting for him. All he had to do was show up to camp in top shape. Maybe put on a little muscle.

None of the above happened.

Ding ding ding. Never saw anything out of him that showed he cared.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->