Confirmed with Link: Connolly, Riley Stillman and Henrik Borgstrom plus a 7th Rd pick in exchange for Carlsson/Wallmark

violaswallet

Apr 8, 2019
Yeah... I know...

I just don’t get why he HAD TO do it now...

Don’t think I’ll be pleased by the answer in the next couple of days...
Cheaper now. If you wait for offseason, many teams might be trying to move. None of the guys moved matter much for this season.

I'd be worried if we waited and were hammered when we need to re sign some of our guys

BabyBennettov

May 2, 2002
Under the Sunshine
Visit site
Cheaper now. If you wait for offseason, many teams might be trying to move. None of the guys moved matter much for this season.

I'd be worried if we waited and were hammered when we need to re sign some of our guys

Sure...

Still don’t get it, I don’t think we needed the cap-space this early...

Afraid Zito is working on a big deal to improve our chances this year, instead of being all-in next year, and taking this season to further enhance his evaluation !

RogerRoger

Jul 23, 2013
Sure...
Still don’t get it, I don’t think we needed the cap-space this early...
Afraid Zito is working on a big deal to improve our chances this year, instead of being all-in next year, and taking this season to further enhance his evaluation !
Why wait for next year? This team is playing better than any Panthers team in over 20 years.

Is your main reason that you want Zito to have more time to evaluate prospects?

BabyBennettov

May 2, 2002
Under the Sunshine
Visit site
Stillman and Borgstrom yes...

But also because we already had cap-space to add a significant piece... Now we can do two, but won’t IMO.

So what’s the point ? Afraid of not being able to unload Connolly before the expansion draft or the beginning of the season ?

If you’re giving away Borgstrom AND Stillman to dump him, pretty sure you can do that trade whenever you want !

KW

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 21, 2006
If you’re giving away Borgstrom AND Stillman to dump him, pretty sure you can do that trade whenever you want !
This is a key point here and also where I think additional context exists.

One: I don’t think that trade is available as readily as you think. Therefore, this may be just about opening up the cap situation even more.

Two: Why do it now, unless Z is looking to improve the team for the playoffs? If he weren’t going to add anything to the team, then there was no real reason to trade the Conman, because even though the deal might not be widely available right now, it would be available later as Conman’s term reduces.

Reactions: violaswallet

GrumpyKelly

May 15, 2011
Bottom of a bottle

One: I don’t think that trade is available as readily as you think. Therefore, this may be just about opening up the cap situation even more.

Two: Why do it now, unless Z is looking to improve the team for the playoffs? If he weren’t going to add anything to the team, then there was no real reason to trade the Conman, because even though the deal might not be widely available right now, it would be available later as Conman’s term reduces.

I think your first point is what bares more weight here. You can't simply unload a contract whenever you want, you need a trading partner. And even if Connolly's deal is shorter in the summer (barely), other teams also know if you're suddenly desperate to move a guy and will squeeze you even more.

Z unloaded Math before the season started, now he unloaded another guy and most likely will unload Yandle and/or Stralman before free agency in the summer when he probably wants to make a splash UFA signing. There's no way he could've moved all three at once without getting absolutely crushed in the trades.

Jean Luc Discard

Jul 11, 2014
If we miss out on the big names, I wouldn't mind someone like Conor Garland, Alex Iafallo or Scott Laughton.

It doesn't make sense to pick up 3rd liners or even fringe top6ers when now guys like that end up on waivers every now and then. imo Zito really needs to get a proven 1st line talent for Barkov and Verheage and stop this "let's try X with Barky"-limbo. If they can't acquire one before the TDL then they should stay put and wait for the next off-season.

KW

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 21, 2006
It doesn't make sense to pick up 3rd liners or even fringe top6ers when now guys like that end up on waivers every now and then. imo Zito really needs to get a proven 1st line talent for Barkov and Verheage and stop this "let's try X with Barky"-limbo. If they can't acquire one before the TDL then they should stay put and wait for the next off-season.
I don’t know if I’m the only one but I’m super interested in Foligno. I think he could be a difference makes in playoffs. Getting both him and Savard would be amazing (and would much rather have them than Laine).

Reactions: Dread Clawz

Panteras

“I’ll remember this hell of a journey”- Barkov
Sep 14, 2009
Panther’s favorite strip club
Or we can add more depth and bump Huby to first line? : p Lol

Thomas Colavecchio

Mar 24, 2019
I think your first point is what bares more weight here. You can't simply unload a contract whenever you want, you need a trading partner. And even if Connolly's deal is shorter in the summer (barely), other teams also know if you're suddenly desperate to move a guy and will squeeze you even more.

Z unloaded Math before the season started, now he unloaded another guy and most likely will unload Yandle and/or Stralman before free agency in the summer when he probably wants to make a splash UFA signing. There's no way he could've moved all three at once without getting absolutely crushed in the trades.

I can only assume that much of the planning being done Mr. Z and staff is for the longer term, not just to help the club this year. Long term money commitments made by DT (Math, Connolly, Yandle, Stralman and Bob) no doubt would impact the teams flexibility against the Cap when Barky especially, and Huby, are up for new deals.

Bob's insane $$ isn't going anywhere, but if Zito finds a way to purge KY's and Strals' monies, while still bringing in help to the group for the remainder of this year; the NHL should award him GM of the year at the deadline.

RogerRoger

Jul 23, 2013
Why do it now? If Zito believes the deal is good, there is no reason to wait. If you wait, a multitude of things could make this deal more costly, the flat cap could be extended, Chicago could change their mind, etc.

Foligno would be nice, adding toughness for the playoffs is generally a good idea.

Ryuji Yamazaki

Do yuu undastahn!?
Jul 22, 2015
I can only assume that much of the planning being done Mr. Z and staff is for the longer term, not just to help the club this year. Long term money commitments made by DT (Math, Connolly, Yandle, Stralman and Bob) no doubt would impact the teams flexibility against the Cap when Barky especially, and Huby, are up for new deals.

Bob's insane $$ isn't going anywhere, but if Zito finds a way to purge KY's and Strals' monies, while still bringing in help to the group for the remainder of this year; the NHL should award him GM of the year at the deadline.

Zito should already get GM of the year award for unloading Matheson and Connolly.

violaswallet

Apr 8, 2019

I’m fine with keeping Stralman tbh: he’s overpaid but the contract is one more year.

Yandle needs to be ejected given his streak...

Reactions: TeslaCoilFan

Dread Clawz

LAWSonic Boom
Nov 25, 2006
Pennsylvania

That's impossible, Barky and Huby are gonna take up at least 25% of the cap when they sign their new deals. Combined with Ek and Bob, that's almost 50%. There's no way you can add a winger on top of that that's gonna take up another 7-10%. Zito will continue to plug reclamation projects, unknowns, and prospects in those slots, because that's all he can do. Now, we'll get a little reprieve after 2023 when Horny and Yandle's contracts are off the books, for a total of 11.65 M. But maybe guys like Hags or Lundell are looking for big deals by then. So it might not be much of a reprieve. Just gotta hope the cap starts going back up by 2023/24.

Reactions: Thomas Colavecchio

BabyBennettov

May 2, 2002
Under the Sunshine
Visit site

Point one, you’re saying you don’t think this trade is available anytime like I suggested...

Yet point two, you’re saying I’m right, that we didn’t need to make this trade to try and improve, and that it would be available later because the term would be reduced...

I am confused.

KW

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 21, 2006
Point one, you’re saying you don’t think this trade is available anytime like I suggested...

Yet point two, you’re saying I’m right, that we didn’t need to make this trade to try and improve, and that it would be available later because the term would be reduced...

I am confused.
What I meant:
- Trade became available (we shouldn’t expect it to always be there)
- Z saw getting rid of Connolly’s contract important especially strategically and was well worth it at the cost of Borg and Stiller
- This trade didn’t bring back pieces that we necessarily care about that much BUT it opened up a better position to go after other FA’s right now
- So the trade offers either tactical value right now to go get Hall/etc, or it offers strategic value in the summer to go get someone else
- I think Z cares more about getting rid of dead wood right now; the season is already a greater success than ever expected; so I’m leaning to Z taking this as a strategic trade first and foremost

See me be totally wrong. :laugh:

Reactions: MaWa and BabyBarkov

Thomas Colavecchio

Mar 24, 2019
What I meant:
- Trade became available (we shouldn’t expect it to always be there)
- Z saw getting rid of Connolly’s contract important especially strategically and was well worth it at the cost of Borg and Stiller
- This trade didn’t bring back pieces that we necessarily care about that much BUT it opened up a better position to go after other FA’s right now
- So the trade offers either tactical value right now to go get Hall/etc, or it offers strategic value in the summer to go get someone else
- I think Z cares more about getting rid of dead wood right now; the season is already a greater success than ever expected; so I’m leaning to Z taking this as a strategic trade first and foremost

See me be totally wrong. :laugh:

With Lundell coming soon as the Cats future at L 2 C, obviously Borg's rights were seen by Mr. Z as a movable asset; as had no position (other than depth) with this team as it's currently constructed. While he's certainly skilled offensively, he would not best fill the L 3 C / 4C roles as well as Lou (or even Wennberg if he returns). Lammer at L 4 C, with Acciari on one of the L 3 or L 4 wings; all are better suited to meet the role for those spots.

Also, I don't personally see how Borg really projects well as a winger. With all the board and corner work that demands, unless he's dramatically changed his game during his time in Europe, is not really very well suited for it.

Reactions: KW and violaswallet

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->