Conne Smythe trophy 94

Status
Not open for further replies.

Youreallygotme

Aug 21, 2003
Kelowna BC
Does everyone agree with the selection of Brian Leetch? I'm not saying I'm not, but it certainly must have been hard to choose between him, Messier(and his game 6 CF and game 7SCF performances), Richter, Zubov(Who led the team in points I think) As well, Mclean couldve been considered too.

Lard_Lad

May 12, 2003
Kelowna
Visit site
I agreed with it then and still do. I didn't see much of Leetch until the finals, but the way he played there was arguably the best I've ever seen a defenceman play over the course of a series.

Big Phil

Nov 2, 2003
Leetch actually led the playoffs in points that year. Messier was as usual a leader and could be considered. But Leetch had 34 points that playoff year. Only Bobby Orr's 1972 Playoff has eer been better by a d-man IMHO. (MacInnis' '89 performance wasnt bad either)

hockeyfan125

Jul 10, 2004
After recently completing my VHS collection of the 1994 finals, I would have to say I agree. Brian Leetch was a force all series, and countless times he broke up Canuck rushes and turned the play around on a dime. I also enjoyed watching Pavel Bure light up the crowds, as he won't be doing that anymore. He was simply electifying.

John Flyers Fan

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
Leetch was a very very deserving winner.

Also the best player on the ice in game 6 vs the Devils, was Alexei Kovalev, he keyed the comeback. Messier made the guaruntee, and scored the hat trick, but Kovavlev set him up twice (the other was an empty net), and was huge in that game.

AG9NK35DT8*

Great to see Leetch get recognition for his wonderful play, he seems to be very underrated by many people and many people also tend to forget he is probably one of the NHL's top 7 or 8 d-men to ever play the game.Well thats IMO.

John Flyers Fan

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
AG9NK35DT8 said:
Great to see Leetch get recognition for his wonderful play, he seems to be very underrated by many people and many people also tend to forget he is probably one of the NHL's top 7 or 8 d-men to ever play the game.Well thats IMO.

Leetch was great and a hall of Famer, but he doen't rank that high on the list.

Toonces

They should have kept Shjon Podein...
Feb 23, 2003
New Jersey
John Flyers Fan said:
Leetch was great and a hall of Famer, but he doen't rank that high on the list.

I'm not sure his regular defensive game was quite top 7-8 material, but in his prime he was great none the less.

Leetch played out of his mind that post-season.

McThome

Aug 12, 2003
Edmonton
www.geocities.com
ya, he didn't dominate offensively long enough or mix it with a good enough to way game to be top 7, but he's definately a guy who'd be an honorable mention of pretty much any top ten.

Heat McManus

Nov 27, 2003
Alexandria, VA
He had a better performance in the 94 finals than Giguere had in the 03 finals.

As a New Yorker who was a Devils fan and a Bure fan Iwatched every second of the ECF and SCF hoping to see the heart of every Ranger fan crushed beyond all repair. I definately think Leetch deserved the award, but I could see it having gone to Richter as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad