NFL: Congressional Report Says NFL Waged Improper Campaign To Influence Government Study

Voight

#winning
Feb 8, 2012
Mulberry Street
http://espn.go.com/espn/otl/story/_...ened-brain-research-cost-taxpayers-16-million

WASHINGTON -- At least a half-dozen top NFL health officials waged an improper, behind-the-scenes campaign last year to influence a major U.S. government research study on football and brain disease, congressional investigators have concluded in a new report obtained by Outside the Lines.

The 91-page report describes how the NFL pressured the National Institutes of Health to strip the $16 million project from a prominent Boston University researcher and tried to redirect the money to members of the league's committee on brain injuries. The study was to have been funded out of a $30 million "unrestricted gift" the NFL gave the NIH in 2012.

After the NIH rebuffed the NFL's campaign to remove Robert Stern, an expert in neurodegenerative disease who has criticized the league, the NFL backed out of a signed agreement to pay for the study, the report shows. Taxpayers ended up bearing the cost instead.

The NFL's actions violated policies that prohibit private donors from interfering in the NIH peer-review process, the report concludes, and were part of a "long-standing pattern of attempts" by the league to shape concussion research for its own purposes.

"In this instance, our investigation has shown that while the NFL had been publicly proclaiming its role as funder and accelerator of important research, it was privately attempting to influence that research," the report states.

Democratic members of the House Committee on Energy and Commerce launched the investigation in December after Outside the Lines reported that the NFL backed out of the seven-year study, which aims to find methods for detecting -- in living patients -- chronic traumatic encephalopathy, or CTE, a disease found in dozens of deceased NFL players.

The report also shows:

• The co-chairman of the NFL's committee on brain injuries, Dr. Richard Ellenbogen, was one of the league's "primary advocates" opposing Stern, even though Ellenbogen had applied for the same grant and stood to benefit personally. Ellenbogen previously denied to Outside the Lines that he tried to influence the NIH, but the report sharply criticizes his actions.

• The NFL was warned that taxpayers would have to bear the cost of the $16 million study and that the NIH would be "unable to fund other meritorious research for several years" if the league backed out. The NFL offered a last-minute, $2 million payment after an intermediary suggested a partial contribution would "help dampen criticism." The NIH turned down the offer.

• Even after an NIH review panel upheld the award to Stern, the NFL sought to funnel the $16 million to another project that would involve members of the league's brain injury committee. The plan would have allowed the NFL researchers to avoid the NIH's rigorous peer-review process. NIH Director Francis Collins rejected the idea.

Good ole 'Rog.

2018-19 Cup Champs!
Sponsor
Mar 22, 2012
Who is shocked by this? They only VERY recently admitted that head collisions in football can cause concussions and CTE.

Big McLargehuge

Fragile Traveler
May 9, 2002
S. Pasadena, CA
The NFL is a disgusting, horrible organization.

Yep.

My interest wanes with each passing year, but they keep setting profit records. Nothing will change until that changes.

jgatie

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 22, 2011
Gee, the NFL tries to get a supposedly "independent" study funneled to researchers who are sympathetic with NFL interests? Who'da thunk it?

Say Hey Kid

Under the Sign of the Black Mark
Dec 10, 2007
Bathory
The NFL is a disgusting, horrible organization. Yep. My interest wanes with each passing year, but they keep setting profit records. Nothing will change until that changes.
Agreed. Taxpayers ended up paying the $16 million instead of the billionaire owners and Goodell with his $44 million salary. Tom Brady is the player I really care about anymore and they're still trying to suspend him for a quarter of the season although there's no evidence he knew anything about deflategate. Get over it, Goodell. With Duncan retiring I feel the same way about the NBA. Only the exciting play of the Thunder and the Cavs and the possibility of them dunking in the faces of the one dimensional Warriors keeps me interested. Thank goodness for the NHL, MLB, and the EPL.

Big Poppa Puck

HF's Villain
Dec 8, 2009
D-Boss' Dungeon

Yep.

My interest wanes with each passing year, but they keep setting profit records. Nothing will change until that changes.

My interest has definitely waned in recent years. I don't even watch non-Vikings games anymore unless I have nothing else to do and a more than 1 fantasy player in the game.

Voight

#winning
Feb 8, 2012
Mulberry Street

Yep.

& the worst commissioner in sports history keeps his job b/c he's the "head" of the biggest cash machine on the earth. Be nice if the owners woke up and realized how much of an idiot he is, especially with this news.

Just an awful thing considering they had a SIGNED agreement.

Gene Parmesan

Dedicated to babies who came feet first
Jul 23, 2009
California
I'm sure plenty of owners want Goodell out but if you aren't Mara or Rooney or Jerry, your voice doesn't matter.

MikeyMike01

U.S.S. Wang
Jul 13, 2007
Hell
"Large American Corporation does dishonest and corrupt thing, more at 11"

That doesn't excuse the NFL here, but I'm not exactly surprised either.

Voight

#winning
Feb 8, 2012
Mulberry Street
Why these owners, specifically?

They have the most say, and are heads of the model franchises. Bisciotti is up there too. Packers don't have a sole owner & Kraft is no longer in the good books.

Not coincidentally, they are 3 of the longest-serving owners. NFL likes that.

Roboturner913

Jul 3, 2012
Goodell? Corrupt? No!!!!

I-feel-shocked.jpg

Say Hey Kid

Under the Sign of the Black Mark
Dec 10, 2007
Bathory
& the worst commissioner in sports history keeps his job b/c he's the "head" of the biggest cash machine on the earth. Be nice if the owners woke up and realized how much of an idiot he is, especially with this news. Just an awful thing considering they had a SIGNED agreement.
Agreed. ESPN said it's the first time anyone has ever pledged $ to the NIH and then tried to control it. They showed video of Goodell in 2013 saying they would not do that. :laugh:

Voight

#winning
Feb 8, 2012
Mulberry Street
Double down on marijuana suspensions. First time offenders get 15 year suspensions. Second time offenders face the guillotine at halftime of Thursday Night Football games.

That's too little. Marijuana is the new cocaine for Goodell. Soon he will be testing the air outside all locker rooms and suspending entire teams :naughty:

aleshemsky83

Apr 8, 2008
Youve got to give credit to espn in this instance. As much as the really bowed to the NFL on that concussion documentary, they have been covering this funding manipulation for a while.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad