Congratulations to Belarus on their first ever WJC Round Robin victory

Status
Not open for further replies.

RoyIsALegend*

I think the Belarus team deserves huge credit for winning their ever World Junior Championship round robin game, and to do it against the defending champion United States of America on their own soil to boot.

Congratulations to all their fans and supporters.

It was obvious that head coach Mikhail Zakharov had a game plan, and the team executed it perfectly. The Katsiitisiiyititiisntiitisnitnininsns brothers are tremendous, young hockey players and hopefully this nation can continue to make small, steady progress.

:handclap:

TroyM

Jan 23, 2004
I think it was their wicked flag that first made me play as them in the old NHL hockey games and ever since I've been a huge Belarus fan, and as you can imagine, I was thrilled when Kostitsyn was selected by the Habs (and to a lesser extent, Grabovski).

Watching this game I just had a big smile on my face the entire time, it was so great to see them get a win against such a great team, and I really really hope this will kick their junior program up a bit and maybe they can eventually solidify their place in the A pool, or at least, in my dreams :P

Anyway the only downer this game was the scrum at the end of the game so I couldn't watch a big celebration, congratulations to the Belarussians though, made my night.

Freddie

Dec 28, 2004
Well done Belarus, but this was a game that the U.S. team certainly wasn't up for and could afford to lose if they win their next.

Reilly311

TroyM said:
Anyway the only downer this game was the scrum at the end of the game so I couldn't watch a big celebration, congratulations to the Belarussians though, made my night.

**** yeah, that was the worse. Whoever that was for USA (I think it was Dowell), I'd bench him at least tomorrow. Players have no respect for eachother anymore. This kind of stuff happens in the NHL ALL the time and I think it's having an effect on the younger players.

Jazz

As I noted in the game-thread, as great as the upset was, and as much as the Belorussians deserver to bask in the sunlight, this win will ironically probably not save Belarus from relegation to Div I next year (only unless they go on a 3-game winning streak through the relegation round).

Evman*

Gurj said:
As I noted in the game-thread, as great as the upset was, and as much as the Belorussians deserver to bask in the sunlight, this win will ironically probably not save Belarus from relegation to Div I next year (only unless they go on a 3-game winning streak through the relegation round).

Still, it's a nice feather in the hat of Belarussian hockey.

Congratulations Belarus, great game.

Dempsey

Mark it zero
Mar 1, 2002
Ladner, BC
Perhaps kids all over Belarus will be inspired to start playing hockey, and in the 2015 draft we'll see a Belarussian go first overall :yo:

Sum

Nov 16, 2003
St Etienne, France
Visit site
hopefully this nation can continue to make small, steady progress.

Exactly. Little by little, Belarus will hopefully getting better. This type of victories, it's what the country needs, even if it will probably not save Belarus from relegation and that the process is slow. It's always nice to see other countries emerge in these championships. Congratulation !

Hopefully, one day, France will have the same success. Gradually. ;)

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Freddie said:
Well done Belarus, but this was a game that the U.S. team certainly wasn't up for and could afford to lose if they win their next.

They might be able to afford to lose it, and I give Belarus a lot of credit, but that's sad if the defending gold medalists can't be a team that's going to be relegated in their own house.

BruinsGirl

Aug 27, 2002
Bruinsville, MA
Visit site
Dempsey said:
Perhaps kids all over Belarus will be inspired to start playing hockey, and in the 2015 draft we'll see a Belarussian go first overall :yo:

Unfortunately even if they are inspired to play hockey availability to do so is extremely limited there. From what I know Belorus has total of 10 rinks (Ukraine 5!!!).

There is absolutely no recreational hockey there. To play it you gotta make sport school at very early age.

I was really shocked yesterday. We had guests at our house and they are former Belorussian citizens (from Minsk). They left after the first period and were absolutely sure that US will beat Belorus team soundly in the next period. Gotta call them. :eek:

I give a big credit to the team Belorus as they played a great team game!

Hart_House_Ca

Feb 21, 2004
BruinsGirl said:
Unfortunately even if they are inspired to play hockey availability to do so is extremely limited there. From what I know Belorus has total of 10 rinks (Ukraine 5!!!).

There is absolutely no recreational hockey there. To play it you gotta make sport school at very early age.

I was really shocked yesterday. We had guests at our house and they are former Belorussian citizens (from Minsk). They left after the first period and were absolutely sure that US will beat Belorus team soundly in the next period. Gotta call them. :eek:

I give a big credit to the team Belorus as they played a great team game!

That is pretty sad if the usa lost to a country with less than 10 rinks. This tells you that determination and heart can take you a long way.

I don't think the usa played a bad game, both teams were evenly matched except in the goalie department, where it mattered most.

Belarus had a better goalie, was what it came down to. Congrats to Belarus.

London Knights

Jun 1, 2004
That is how you get better though. You have to have the big wins for sports to get bigger in countries. Belarus has always tried hard but have had very little talent. They had a decent team year. Limited in overall skill, but a lot heart and passion to try and succeed.

I don't care if it was a mean nothing game for the US, that is going to scare you going up against Russia again, or playing Canada, or the Czech's. All are teams that can score, and you goaltending is 0-3 in putting together a solid performance to date. The loss may fire up the team to beat the tar out of the Czech's, but you know that in the back of the mind of a lot of the players they are going to be battling on whether they should push a little more offensively or hold back because of the concern in net. Montoya has continued to look absolutely lost in net.

BruinsGirl

Aug 27, 2002
Bruinsville, MA
Visit site
Hart_House_Ca said:
I don't think the usa played a bad game, both teams were evenly matched except in the goalie department, where it mattered most.

Well..I think US played 2 bad periods. You are kidding me about evenly matched teams though.... :eek:

Belorussian goalie played better, but if you noticed his defence didn't let US alot of open shots on him too. He made couple of key saves though.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad