Congratulations Gord and Pierre!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

espo*

I do believe this is your first victory for Team Canada with your team at the helm.Must be sweet!!I hope we can now establish some tradition with the two of you holding the fort on the mikes.Enjoy both of you working as a team and you did a great job all tourney long as always.I feel most happy for you Gord.....you had the toughest job taking over for Romy(he of the drive for five fame!!) But now you have your own announcing wjc hardware,looks good on you. Enjoy.....you earned it :)

trahans99

Apr 7, 2004
Home of the 2005 Memorial Cup
I know alot of people on here don't like Pierre McGuirre but he made me and my dad laugh quite a few times yesterday "those russians are dropping like beer at frat houses" and many other comical comments. Keep up the good work and can't wait to hear you next year in Vancouver.

RorschachWJK

Dec 28, 2004
Gord was ok, but Pierre definitely was not. I always thought that many of the Finnish announcers were outright homers, altough the coaches accompanying the main guy were often less so. However, Pierre here sets some new standards for homerism, OMG. The accompanying coach is supposed to be the more objective one, right?

Chili

En boca cerrada no entran moscas
Jun 10, 2004
Pierre McGuire is starting to remind me of Tim McCarver. i.e. a good reason to hit the mute button.

He was moaning about one play that was, imo., clearly a legimate penalty against Canada...and I was thinking they must be able to find more impartiality and insight then this.

bonefizzle

Dec 5, 2004
Pierre is awsome.. he does get annoying when he constantly stresses the same point over again like the two line pass, but we have to understand that he is in a position to do so. Everyone who watches the game including management hears his comments. We pretty much all agree with them anyways, but we aren't in a position to tell the league but he can. Plus he has an amazing knowledge of the game of hockey. He knows more about the game then any commentator that i have ever heard.. If anyone ever took over for don cherry i would want it to be him.

gerbilanium

Oct 17, 2003
What do you call a guy with no arms and no legs that has just been attacked by a bull?

Gord.

RorschachWJK

Dec 28, 2004
bonefizzle said:
If anyone ever took over for don cherry i would want it to be him.

Well, Pierre certainly is the lesser of those two evils, I got to admit that. But I am sure that there are as competent, but more objective guys around than these two. Hoping for those to emerge, otherwise it's the good ole mute button again.

Go Flames Go*

Where the hell is Paul Romonauk he will always be the voice of WJHC to me.

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
Pierre McGuire is the worst colour man I've ever heard. Colour guy should add to the game not try and take over. Pete it's ok to shutup once in a while!

Legolas

Apr 11, 2004
Toronto, Canada
I like Pierre...Gord is okay, but he's replaceable...I like hearing Romanuk go crazy...his voice is hilarious when he gets excited...

When you listen and watch TSN you have to be aware that:

1) It's a Canadian network...they cater to a Canadian audience...they don't pretend to be completely unbiased or impartial because they apparently feel (in my opinion) that by having sufficient experts on their panel (MacKenzie, Healy, Burke), that they can get away with focusing on Canada because there will be sufficient injections of actual analysis...which for the most part is true...

2) They go out of their way to point out obscure facts and new things...they don't usually state the obvious (at least compared to other networks)...that's why Pierre goes crazy about the two-line pass, or cycling the puck, or any number of things that are only obvious to astute hockey fans...

3) Pierre seems to take pride is pointing out things that other commentators would not say...like talking about how much Montoya sucked at this tournament...or how a given scout/GM/owner for a given NHL team should be embarassed/proud/ecstatic/ashamed about particular prospects...I remember he said in an interview that he felt pressure to have facts ready for the audience because nobody (generally) knew who these kids were so he needed to point out who had drafted them, etc. etc...that's why he repeated the Phaneuf and Robyn Regher comment about 20 times this tournament...

If you know what you're getting BEFORE you tune in, then it's easy to enjoy the game...I watch telecasts for the game, not for the commentary...

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
Legolas said:
then it's easy to enjoy the game...I watch telecasts for the game, not for the commentary...

Thats exactly it, his commentary doesn't enhance the game as it should, it distracts from it.

My wife, who when watching hockey with me actually sits and reads but can hear the tv, even commented on it. Something like "that's not the normal guy is it? he never shuts up".

Lessy

Jul 21, 2004
Sudbury
Go Flames Go said:
Where the hell is Paul Romonauk he will always be the voice of WJHC to me.

I agree, Romanuk is one of my favourite hockey announcers of all-time. I can still remember him bellow the famous words:

"THE DRIVE, FOR FIVE, HAS ARRIVED, CANADA WORLD JUNIOR HOCKEY CHAMPIONS FOR THE FIFTH YEAR IN A ROW"

Pierre McGuire is a pretty controversial guy. I think he has his pros and cons, especially about the centre ice rule. It was interesting to hear his opinion about the red line the first time against the Slovaks when Bergeron scored. But later on in the tournament, it got a bit annoying.

Mr. Canucklehead

Kitimat Canuck
Dec 14, 2002
Kitimat, BC
Personally, I'm a fan of Pierre Maguire. He can go a little overboard into the annoying category sometimes, but I've yet to really see a color commentator who's as knowledgeable about everyone on the ice to the officials that Pierre is. He does his job well.

~Canucklehead~

chicpea*

Danny Gallivan: "...and here is the spry and spinning Serge Savard stepping gingerly over the blue line...."

Pierre McGuire: "WHAMMO!! GA-ZONGG!!! HE IS STRONG LIKE A MONSTER TRUCK!!"

Yes, I know, Pierre is colour, Danny was not. You get my point though, and to his credit, Pierre really does know his hockey and pays attention to prospects more than most other commentators. Anyway, if there's anything good to come of this, it's that we all now know that Pierre knows the word "egregious." ;)

espo*

chicpea said:
Danny Gallivan: "...and here is the spry and spinning Serge Savard stepping gingerly over the blue line...."

Pierre McGuire: "WHAMMO!! GA-ZONGG!!! HE IS STRONG LIKE A MONSTER TRUCK!!"

Yes, I know, Pierre is colour, Danny was not. You get my point though, and to his credit, Pierre really does know his hockey and pays attention to prospects more than most other commentators. Anyway, if there's anything good to come of this, it's that we all now know that Pierre knows the word "egregious." ;)
oh Pierre is definately no Danny Gallivan....never will be,i don't think there ever will be another Danny Gallivan to be honest.

benji

Took too much, man.
Dec 8, 2002
Too much.
yo
I think Pierre has his good times and bad times. Sometimes he says something intelligent and he's bearable, and sometimes he'll say something totally silly, and I just mute/change the channel. That simple.

AgentNaslund*

Gord and Pierre are one of the best duos in the business. Pierre have some very very good points at times, but it gets anoying when he screams into the mic at his points. These guys are not biased people, sais it as it is. They will critize the team, if its valid.

*Scott*

AgentNaslund said:
Gord and Pierre are one of the best duos in the business. Pierre have some very very good points at times, but it gets anoying when he screams into the mic at his points. These guys are not biased people, sais it as it is. They will critize the team, if its valid.

Pierre McGuire is probably the most biased announcer when doing International games. Luckily for him Canada dominated the tournament.

Go Flames Go*

He is biased and during the playoffs if they did not have thoose protective glasses he would of been attacked by one of my peoples. His love affair with Tampa and there french boys made me sick of him, but latley hes been getting better. He never gave us the props we deserved as a team. That was just as a analyst and hes the color man he sucks, his voice sounds like he just woke up or something. THey need Petr Mahr.

hfboardsuser

Nov 18, 2004
The WJ Gold game was the only one I watched on TSN in its entirety. Suffice to say, I'm never again watching a telecast involving McGuire.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->