Congrats to the Astros!

Marc the Habs Fan

Nov 30, 2002
Longueuil
10464218_10154263320520431_6241616349984624771_n.jpg

Not only did SI predict it, they put the MVP of the World Series on the cover! Brilliant work.

A great team that is a deserving champion. Faced adversity several times in the playoffs and got it done. And they should remain very good for a long time.

Fantastic to see Beltran and Verlander get WS rings after so many close calls.

Congrats to Kayla, punk_o_holic, Duke 33 and all Astros fans. You deserve this after all the losing early on in this decade. Your patience paid off. What a magical ride for a city and region that really needed a pick-me-up.

Sep 19, 2008
Good story especially with all that happened in Houston with the hurricane and everything

Bob Richards

Mr. Mojo Risin'
Feb 9, 2011
Jersey
Jose Altuve just as genuinely happy to be a World Series champion as he was while starring in that 5 Hour Energy commercial.

Teiran

May 22, 2008
Houston, TX
I was all of eleven the last time I saw a major Houston sports team (with apologies to the Dynamo) actually win something. I'm still expecting to wake up any moment now, just in time for Game 7 to start...

darko

Feb 16, 2009
Puncoholic, Kayla, Duke (and whoever i missed) enjoy it guys. Well played and well deserved.

Reactions: punk_o_holic

PanthersPens62

Coach Nerd
Mar 7, 2009
Mike's Wheel Barrell
10464218_10154263320520431_6241616349984624771_n.jpg

Not only did SI predict it, they put the MVP of the World Series on the cover! Brilliant work.

A great team that is a deserving champion. Faced adversity several times in the playoffs and got it done. And they should remain very good for a long time.

Fantastic to see Beltran and Verlander get WS rings after so many close calls.

Congrats to Kayla, punk_o_holic, Duke 33 and all Astros fans. You deserve this after all the losing early on in this decade. Your patience paid off. What a magical ride for a city and region that really needed a pick-me-up.

Couldn't agree more! Enjoy this, Astros fans!

Last edited:

Voight

#winning
Feb 8, 2012
Mulberry Street
One of the best World Series of all time, congrats to Houston you earned it.

Astros are a good example of how a tear down/tank can work.... as long as your patient. Credit goes to their owner Jim Crane for believing in the plan and letting Lunhow do his job. Big ups to Beltran for *finally* winning a title.... dude's been waiting almost 20 years and has had so many close calls. The 'Stros are going to be the MLB's next dynasty IMO. 12 years after the Killer B's and Oswald were swept, they take it in 7 and of course one of their young stars takes home MVP.

Duke33

Oct 9, 2009
Houston, TX

Astros are a good example of how a tear down/tank can work.... as long as your patient. Credit goes to their owner Jim Crane for believing in the plan and letting Lunhow do his job. Big ups to Beltran for *finally* winning a title.... dude's been waiting almost 20 years and has had so many close calls. The 'Stros are going to be the MLB's next dynasty IMO. 12 years after the Killer B's and Oswald were swept, they take it in 7 and of course one of their young stars takes home MVP.

They built the team the right way, and also finally spent some moolah to shore up their deficiencies. That stat that showed where they ranked on strikeouts from last year to this year is really telling.

But yeah they put a terrific group of people together and hopefully can keep building on it. Need to get another starter I think and rebuild the bullpen, some guys need to go. But we'll deal with that next week :)

*TRAIN WHISTLE*

GIN ANTONIC

Aug 19, 2007
Toronto, ON
Was pulling for the Dodgers but not mad about this at all. Have always liked to 'Stros since the days of the killer B's. Bags and Biggio are two of my all-time favourite players. Pretty awesome group of young talent and a lot of likeable players on this team. Hope to see them continue their success in the future.

GuitarGuy

Oct 3, 2017
Canada

Eh, they say that every year.. for all sports championships.

tony d

Jun 23, 2007
Behind A Tree
I was going for the Dodgers but congrats to the Astros, that's 1 amazing team and a team that I think will only get better as time goes on.

Voight

#winning
Feb 8, 2012
Mulberry Street
They built the team the right way, and also finally spent some moolah to shore up their deficiencies. That stat that showed where they ranked on strikeouts from last year to this year is really telling.

But yeah they put a terrific group of people together and hopefully can keep building on it. Need to get another starter I think and rebuild the bullpen, some guys need to go. But we'll deal with that next week :)

*TRAIN WHISTLE*

Yup drafted and developed a good portion of their core, then traded prospects for talent when they were ready to compete (McCann, Verlander, Giles) and spent significant money in free agency to shore up the roster (Beltran, Reddick, Morton)

Eh, they say that every year.. for all sports championships.

This is true but this years classic ranks up there IMO, 6 thrilling games along with a somewhat high scoring game 7 to top it off.

GIN ANTONIC

Aug 19, 2007
Toronto, ON
Yup drafted and developed a good portion of their core, then traded prospects for talent when they were ready to compete (McCann, Verlander, Giles) and spent significant money in free agency to shore up the roster (Beltran, Reddick, Morton)

This is true but this years classic ranks up there IMO, 6 thrilling games along with a somewhat high scoring game 7 to top it off.

Game 7 was a dud. First 6 games were amazing though.

Last edited:
Reactions: Voight

KaylaJ

i bent my wookie
Mar 12, 2009
hell
Thanks you guys! Even thru all the loses, it's always been fun here on the baseball board. I meant what I said in the other thread that the Dodger fans around here were great. I still like Turner & Puig and hope one day they can win for LA & Mr Ed's memory. And remember, no matter how badly your team is going and how many media members are laughing at them, there is always a chance one day.

Unless you're a Browns fan.

Anyway, gonna take a big gulp of my drink and go visit the NFL board to see if there is any Texan news...

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->