Congrats to Canada / Glass is half full (merged)

NewEnglandSportsFan*

It speaks volumes about the fact that you have more registered players than all countries in Europe combined (like 260 000 more registered players(!)).

Canada has 574,125 registered players

Russia has 77,702 registered players.

Canada has 7.4 times more players than Russia, 496,423 more players to choose from. On top of that Russia do not have even close to the economical conditions as Canada, and most people in Russia never have the chance to play hockey.

And they beat you out of the gold. Now imagine if they had as many players, as many rinks and the enonomic possibilities that Canadians have. They would be the single biggest super-power in hockey, not Canada.

I can't believe you Canadians can never grasp the concept of being humble.

good post. :handclap: I didn't realize it was that crazy in terms of odds...

gusev1978

Jan 5, 2011
My congratulations to Canada from Russia!

I want to congrats team Canada with fans. Most of Canada`s team fans here have a great souls.
They conrgats Russia with victory in spite of own pain. Only generous people can do it.

And i want to congrats Canada with your hockey team. You must be proud about your team. Be in 10 finals continuously is great achievement. I would be very proud if my team would do the same.

And anyway, it`s not last tournament. Even till 2012:)

Uncle Rotter

May 11, 2010
Kelowna, B.C.
Canada has 7.4 times more players than Russia, 496,423 more players to choose from. On top of that Russia do not have even close to the economical conditions as Canada, and most people in Russia never have the chance to play hockey.

About those numbers...

Last year, however, there were 532,435 registered participants (477, 872 male and 54,563 female). This includes Canadian Hockey-sponsored adult recreation programs
Tyke or Initiation was the largest hockey group, with 113,377 people registered last year

http://www.cbc.ca/sports/hockey/hdic2003/canadian_hockey.html

Canuck21t

Feb 4, 2004
Montreal, QC
What about the US? How about congratulating them? Canada is expected to be in the gold medal game every year. The US has come a long way and really has positioned themselves nicely for the future.

Canada does not deserve any special treatment or deserve to be congratulated any more than any other team that participated in the tournament.

Congrats to ALL of the teams who participated, they are all kids and they all gave it their all.
Dude, this thread is like a pat on the back of our own players. If you want to congratulate your own team, go ahead... geez. :nopity:

Canuck21t

Feb 4, 2004
Montreal, QC
It speaks volumes about the fact that you have more registered players than all countries in Europe combined (like 260 000 more registered players(!)).

Canada has 574,125 registered players

Russia has 77,702 registered players.

And they beat you out of the gold. Now imagine if they had as many players, as many rinks and the enonomic possibilities that Canadians have. They would be the single biggest super-power in hockey, not Canada.

I can't believe you Canadians can never grasp the concept of being humble.
So Canada being in the final the last 10 years and winning 5 consecutive Golds is not the biggest super-power for you? You want us to win 100% of the time? Even China can't accomplish that. Numbers = depth and that we have.

good post. :handclap: I didn't realize it was that crazy in terms of odds...
IMO, the US is kind of disappointing considering you have almost as many registered hockey players as Canada, but your results, although getting better, are rather slow. I mean it's been since 1996 that people have been saying that the US will surpass Canada and it's 15 years later and I think Canada has actually gotten better since the late '90s. And when you look at the top NHL scorers, you'd think the US would have more players among the top, but so far not that many.

Last edited:

Sergei DRW

Nov 17, 2010
:help: This is pretty much why everybody hates Canada.

But since this is where everybody congratulates Canada: congratulations on your silver! :handclap:

On a more serious note: Canadian team was excellent throughout the tournament, but they lost twice, same as Swedes and Russians. They played their genuine Canadian hockey in the first period, crashing and banging. However, as I pointed out numerous times before, this is not just about "heart" and "passion." It's also about physics. A team cannot maintain this pace and this intensity for 60 minutes. Once Canada ran out of gas, and Russia got their act together, the skill and the speed of the later took over.

Yep, pretty much sums it up.
The fifth goal was the epitome of that - Nikita Dvurechenskiy running away from the covering defender like that guy was without the skates.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad