Congrats to Canada / Glass is half full (merged)

New User Name

Jan 2, 2008
Canada has been in the Gold medal game the last 10 years, winning 5 Golds and 5 Silvers. That's pretty impressive.

We have done this with more players than any other country eligible to play but can't because they're in the NHL (not an excuse just a fact)

Canadians need to realize that we can't win every year, and give credit to teams that beat us.

And please let's stop this crap about Canadian heart---it's stupid.

Rabid Ranger

2 is better than one
Feb 27, 2002
Murica
So what you're saying is, don't cry Canada! (but really-cry a little because we can't win gold all the time and we don't get our best players which would turn the tourney into a farce).

New User Name

Jan 2, 2008
So what you're saying is, don't cry Canada! (but really-cry a little because we can't win gold all the time and we don't get our best players which would turn the tourney into a farce).

No, I'm saying that our record speaks volumes about our development system.

and I know no one crying:laugh:

MXD

Original #4
Oct 27, 2005
I think people are upset because it's a game that Canada was on track to win, but dropped because of some pretty bad tactical choices. Not to discredit Team Russia or anything - but when something works (applying pressure), why stop doing so?

NativeHockey77*

Im not crying, just proved they should act like men instead of kids who act like they won the stanley cup everytime they score against weak teams

The grown men are going to win gold in Sochi so it doesnt matter, Crosby, Stamkos, Tavares...the rest of the hoceky world doesnt stand a chance lol

NiagaraGirl

Hockey Canada fan :)
2525 you're right and I agree. We can't win every year and our record of making it to the medal games for the last ten speaks for itself. Let's not forget we also got gold in the Olympics and a gold in the U17 tourny yesterday too. We need to not take every silver medal (or less) as a complete and utter defeat. It's only natural that some years we will not win and it's a good thing really to see Russia rising back up to be the legendary hockey rivals they once were! I give credit to those Russian kids even though I love our own. Yes, I'm sad but I'm really sad not so much because of the loss but because of how hard some people are being on the Team Canada kids who will carry this weight, this feeling of letting the nation down, on their shoulders for a long time. I know we love hockey in Canada and it probably means more to us than *almost* any nation but Russia also loves hockey and this means so much to them too. If we have to lose, I'm consoled by knowing how much this win means for another country whose hockey legacy is also legendary. We've had some really great wins and now we have to roll with this loss and start working towards our plan for next year. ;)

Kekumba

Jan 24, 2008
Ottawa
The way it all went down is what upsets most, I'd say.

For me personally, I'm sorta in the same boat as you, I got over it rather quickly. I enjoyed watching all the games in the tournament like I do every year. I'm not one of these people that non-Canadians seem to think we all are where if Canada loses a big game in hockey, we nothing else to enjoy and our life is now over. I guess part of this feeling of not being terribly upset comes from past success and constantly being spoiled with good national teams.

At the end of the day, the better team won and most Canadians here can admit to that.

Torts

Aug 21, 2009
Ontario
this thread makes up for all stupid ass canada no heart and wrong players selected bs threads

props to OP

and yes we cant win everytime, it would be nice though ahah

Pyke*

Congrats to Canada.

Why are there no threads on the main page congratulating what team Canada managed to do in this tournament? I think people need to have some perspective.

I was at the game. It was a pretty expensive trip to go watch the Gold Medal game. I feel like, as much as anyone, I'd be "entitled" to be unhappy with the collapse (which it was). However, I still wore my Team Canada jersey proudly around Buffalo today, and home. I still am proud of what the kids did.

I think we really should be congratulating the kids. They played their hearts out - and while things did fall apart in the third, and we should try to diagnose what went wrong - those people who I've seen in the various threads suggesting these players should be ashamed for losing a game need to get some perspective.

They're kids. It's a wild game. **** happens. Ultimately, the Russians deserved to win because they capitalized on our mistakes. We can (and hopefully will) get even next year.

Pyke*

Because a Silver is a failure. That is Canada.

I get that mentality, and honestly, part of me feels the same way.

At the same time, part of being a Canadian hockey fan is respecting your opponent.

I'll be honest: When Canada lost the game, for the first 60 seconds, I turned to my friend and said, "I almost wish the Canadians just leave the ice. I mean, who wants Silver?" I understand completely.

I also can tell you - standing watching the medal ceremony - when the announcer said, "The Canadians can come get their silver medals", there was this very noticeable pause. Nobody moved. The Canadians just stayed where they were. It lasted for a good five or six seconds (or seemed to) and then Ellis finally lead the team to get the medals, even though he was several people away from the front of the line.

After the national anthem of Russia was played (which, was heartbreaking to stand and listen respectfully to - but the Canadian audience did), Ellis lined up Team Canada at center ice to shake hands and congratulate the Russians. He's a better person than I would have been (given my original desire).

Obviously, I would have loved to have seen them win Gold. I'm sure the 17,000+ Canadian fans at HSBC Arena would have loved it too. The same goes for the fans watching at home and the players on the ice. It didn't happen.

At the end of the day though, they're kids. They played 8 great periods of hockey following the loss to Switzerland, and fell apart in the 9th. Does it suck? Yes. Does that somehow wipe away what they achieved up to that point? I don't think it does.

I honestly believe that while it's legitimate to ask what went wrong, true hockey fans can and should still congratulate the players who played their hearts out. You could tell - watching their reactions on the bench, and on the ice, while the Russians celebrated - that they wanted to win it as much as all of us hoped they would.

I just think we should be proud of the things they DID achieve, as opposed to shaming them for finishing 2nd out of 10.

Wham City

Oct 27, 2006
Whistler
They won the silver when they beat the Americans. They had an opportunity to win the gold and they lost the game. Full marks to the Russians, they played a hell of a tournament and deserved everything they got.

For better or worse the barometer of success for Canadians in international hockey is gold. That's a high standard and I don't think we have to apologize for that. Ten straight WJC finals in a row makes you a target as it's plain to see the rest of the world relishes beating us. But I don't think we'd have it any other way.

Smif

Jan 23, 2008
Hamilton
Good call on this thread. Today I still wore my Team Canada hat proudly, Christmas wouldn't be Christmas without this tourney and it's something I will always look forward too. Go Canada Go!

Now I have to go back cheering for a team with no hope (The Leafs). So depressing.

Thepainter

Feb 9, 2010
Bay Area, California
What about the US? How about congratulating them? Canada is expected to be in the gold medal game every year. The US has come a long way and really has positioned themselves nicely for the future.

Canada does not deserve any special treatment or deserve to be congratulated any more than any other team that participated in the tournament.

Congrats to ALL of the teams who participated, they are all kids and they all gave it their all.

Smif

Jan 23, 2008
Hamilton
What about the US? How about congratulating them? Canada is expected to be in the gold medal game every year. The US has come a long way and really has positioned themselves nicely for the future.

Canada does not deserve any special treatment or deserve to be congratulated any more than any other team that participated in the tournament.

Congrats to ALL of the teams who participated, they are all kids and they all gave it their all.

OMG, make up your own thread about it and stop being so pissy, gawd.

Smif

Jan 23, 2008
Hamilton
Why does Canada deserve to be "congratulated" more than any other team?

Oh, because it's Canada? Get over yourselves.

Go away and stop clicking on threads with Canada in the title. We're proud of our team now go and be proud of yours.

Pyke*

With all due respect, I don't think you understand the reason I created this thread.

I do respect what the United States achieved. I was at the Bronze Medal Game as well rather unexpectedly, and was able to watch them defeat Sweden to win the medal. I can tell you that it was somewhat of a surreal sight, seeing the massively Canadian crowd cheering for the United States by and large. There were seas of red and white, but most of them were holding U.S. flags and changing "U.S.A."...When the United States won, the Canadian crowd stood - cheered - and sang their national anthem with them. They were lauded by us for what they achieved - rival or no. We might hate the U.S. when we play them, but there is a lot of respect there as well. It was interesting when Team U.S.A. saluted the crowd after all of this with their sticks - which at home may not have been that unusual - but it was a largely Canadian crowd which they saluted.

However, if the U.S. had not won the Bronze Medal, do you think their would be people suggesting that Campbell should be ashamed? Do you think the same sort of reaction would have occurred that has as a result of the collapse of the Canadian team in the third period? I mean, the U.S. were thoroughly spanked in the Bronze Medal game, and most Americans I spoke with either had no knowledge of it or felt that it was just a better team.

That hasn't been the Canadian reaction; and thus, my comments are largely directed both towards the people who have lost perspective and in a sense, reflective of the fact that I believe part of cheering for a team is to stand behind them in their good times and their bad ones. I wore my colours because I'm proud to be Canadian; and I'm proud of our team.

I wear them still, because I'm proud of what they achieved. Am I disappointed? Yes. However, I still believe they should hold their heads up high for what they did. It's not about what the other nations did or didn't do - it's about how we treat our own.

Analyzer*

Competition is great and congrats to the Russians, but still, for Canada it's gold, or the tournament was a waste.

It also shows that Cameron isn't even ready to be a coach at the higher levels.

Canada has had a medal now for the last 10, 11 tournies ? The States are getting better, Sweden is still good and if what we just saw are Russian players learning to play with heart and soul and not just skill, then in about 3ish years, we could be right back in the pack.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad