guyzeur

Mar 25, 2009
Ottawa
His last trades have been remarkable

added: Elliot into Anderson (Feb 2011)

Runbald into Turris (1b/2 centre)

Foligno into Methot (2/3 D)

Bishop into Conacher (top 6 F)

Silverberg, Noesen and 1st round for Ryan (top 3 F) (July 2013)

All this in 28 months, that's pretty good.

Last edited:

Do Make Say Think

& Yet & Yet
Jun 26, 2007
Elliott into Anderson as well

I think it's too early to really judge the Bobby Ryan trade: if Ryan ends up leaving (I don't think it's as likely as some people say but it's possible) then it isn't a great trade unless we win the Cup while he's here

Slow Hands

The feels
Feb 3, 2009
Ottawa
Yo I straight up love Bryan Murray and wish he was my grandpa or something but like Canadian Guy said, it's way too early to judge the Bobo trade. I don't think Silfverberg is going to outplay him like everyone was worrying about a few days ago, but if we can't keep Ryan, we definitely lose the trade (unless we win a cup before he leaves).

Do Make Say Think

& Yet & Yet
Jun 26, 2007
I wish Bryan Murray had always been our GM and John Muckler never happened.

As poorly as Muckler did with drafting his tenure coincided with our best years as a franchise in terms of results: I don't think we missed the playoffs while he was the GM

He gets too much hate; he wasn't ALL bad

PeterSidorkiewicz

HFWF Tourney Undisputed Champion
Apr 30, 2004
Lansing, MI
As poorly as Muckler did with drafting his tenure coincided with our best years as a franchise in terms of results: I don't think we missed the playoffs while he was the GM

Agreed, I base my whole wardrobe off of his sweaters and I've never looked better.

Fandlauer

Apr 23, 2013
Ottawa unless it becomes a disaster

There is no doubt in my mind that he cost us a cup.

20110615_zdenochara_stanleycup_446w.jpg

hossa-cup.jpg

Do Make Say Think

& Yet & Yet
Jun 26, 2007
There is no doubt in my mind that he cost us a cup.

20110615_zdenochara_stanleycup_446w.jpg

hossa-cup.jpg

We go over this almost yearly

Almost everybody agreed that, if we had to choose, Redden was the keeper between him and Chara. Redden just happened to stop caring about hockey sometime after the decision was made; rumour has it that Chara wanted to be captain etc... Saying that it's all Muckler's fault is being disingenuous: there were a lot of factors that came into play.

Hossa basically forced us into trading him since Muckler had been very clear that he didn't want to pay him 6 million at the time. I agree that sign'n'trade was a poor decision but we got Heatley who was dynamite for us for the following two years

ChocolateLeclaire

Jan 12, 2010
Ottawa, Canada
We go over this almost yearly

Almost everybody agreed that, if we had to choose, Redden was the keeper between him and Chara. Redden just happened to stop caring about hockey sometime after the decision was made; rumour has it that Chara wanted to be captain etc... Saying that it's all Muckler's fault is being disingenuous: there were a lot of factors that came into play.

Hossa basically forced us into trading him since Muckler had been very clear that he didn't want to pay him 6 million at the time. I agree that sign'n'trade was a poor decision but we got Heatley who was dynamite for us for the following two years

Four words: BRIAN LEE FOURTH OVERALL

The man was a master idiot at the draft, Brian Lee being the epitome of his stupidity. Despite everyone in the room steering him towards Marc Staal if they wanted a D-man, he decided to go off the board and select a string bean from a weak collegiate base.

NyQuil

Big F$&*in Q
Jan 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON
Four words: BRIAN LEE FOURTH OVERALL

The man was a master idiot at the draft, Brian Lee being the epitome of his stupidity. Despite everyone in the room steering him towards Marc Staal if they wanted a D-man, he decided to go off the board and select a string bean from a weak collegiate base.

Brian Lee was drafted 9th overall.

It's pretty much the only early pick I've ever really had an issue with as a Senators fan.

So it could be a lot worse.

Scrub*

Team Canada
Dec 28, 2008
Also like it when we added 3 1st round picks and one of them turned into Bobby Ryan.

Icelevel

During these difficult times...
Sep 9, 2009
One of the things i've been most impressed with is how they do their best to bring in quality people on AND off the ice. I like cheering for guys i respect.
So, thank you for that.

Vesa Awesaka

#KeepTheSenate
Jul 4, 2013
Stillman, Commondore for Corvo and Eaves
Whatever we traded for filatov
Leclaire and dont give me that bs that we knew wed get lehner
Mezaroes trade was terrible considering he was a top ranked RFA at the time
brian lee's development:sarcasm:
imo buying out Emery and butler was also unnecessary
Losing volchenkov was kinda bad too
He's made some mistakes but in the end he's turned most of them into positives.

Last edited:

ChocolateLeclaire

Jan 12, 2010
Ottawa, Canada
Brian Lee was drafted 9th overall.

It's pretty much the only early pick I've ever really had an issue with as a Senators fan.

So it could be a lot worse.

Granted, Muckler's teams were always drafting in the bottom third but that's what makes this pick so painful. The team was gifted a top 10 pick and they whiffed badly.

guyzeur

Mar 25, 2009
Ottawa
brian lee

Did you do some research before posting this?

HavlatMach9

streamable 3rah1
Mar 17, 2011
Ottawa
Good trade, Stillman was awesome, Corvo wanted to leave, Eaves toiled as a bottom 6 player since
Again awesome, low risk, unknown reward
Leclaire was a great goalie, provided he was healthy, but he never was, and hey, Lehner
That trade brought back an offensive dman that we signed for many years, it was a great trade
development only goes so far,
How so? A strictly defensive dman who had trouble getting the puck out asking for market value was best avoided.
Hindsight tells us those were good moves.

senatorsburly

Feb 4, 2013

Yeah but where are all these players now, I don't think most people were upset when leclaire was signed because we were desperate for a legit starter too bad he was injury prone. Emery had off ice issues and wasn't the same after surgeries. Devil fans can't stand volchenkov. Sure some of them were bad at the time, but there are definitely worse by other gms.

Vesa Awesaka

#KeepTheSenate
Jul 4, 2013
Yeah but where are all these players now, I don't think most people were upset when leclaire was signed because we were desperate for a legit starter too bad he was injury prone. Emery had off ice issues and wasn't the same after surgeries. Devil fans can't stand volchenkov. Sure some of them were bad at the time, but there are definitely worse by other gms.

By far he's not the worst gm but we did miss the playoffs under his watch for the first time in like 10 years or something. My major issues were with the moves that went on with our back end. I was not happy with the departures of corvo and mezaroes. Imo it made us alot weaker. Volchenkov was a good player in ottawa which is the reason why he got such a good contract from the devils. As a rebuilding team i'm sure we could have at least gotten some sort of return. Leclaire's numbers were weak in columbus and he wasnt known for is health, we knew what we were getting into.

Emery had his issues but he only had one bad season before being bought and imo he was better then gerber, elliott and leclaire. Career wise Emery's numbers have been consistently ok outside that one year.

You can possibly question his decision in hiring paddock, Hartsburgh and clouston too.

By no means am i calling him a bad gm but i'm certainly not giving him a 10/10.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad