Confusion about this World of Hockey tourney

Status
Not open for further replies.

BG43

Mar 15, 2002
Visit site
Ok.. I'm sort of confused about this whole tournament.

Apparently the last one was in 1996. Why has it been 8 years since?? That doesn't seem right to me.

I remember the game in the finals with the US where Richter was amazing.. but 8 years ago?? Huh? What is the deal? Is this correct? And why has it been so long?

hardcore_fan

Apr 27, 2002
Ottawa
Visit site
It's usually every four years.Since NHL players were in the 2000 Olympics, they decided that that would take the place of the world cup for that four year span.

Lumac

Mar 2, 2002
hardcore_fan said:
It's usually every four years.Since NHL players were in the 2000 Olympics, they decided that that would take the place of the world cup for that four year span.

Since the Olympics in 2000 only had summer sports, that's hardly the reason...

TORRUS

May 31, 2004
Beli
hardcore_fan said:

Olympic games were in 2002...

Raimo Sillanpää

Mar 11, 2003
Espoo, Finland
the olympics in 2000, which were in australia, were at that spot in the calender in which they'd have liked to have held it.. so to avoid being drowned by olympic viewership, they decided to not have one..

jacklours

Mar 5, 2003
Magog
I thought there were some sort of tournament like that at the end of every season. WHat is it call?

Lionel Hutz

Apr 13, 2004
Locking the Lounge??
jacklours said:
I thought there were some sort of tournament like that at the end of every season. WHat is it call?

A little different. The World Championships are held every year. It is an IIHF tourney, run on big ice etc, an international tourney.

The World Cup used to be the Canada cup, its played in North America (mostly) on NHL size ice surfaces, and run by the NHL.

Jazz

BG43 said:
Ok.. I'm sort of confused about this whole tournament.

Apparently the last one was in 1996. Why has it been 8 years since?? That doesn't seem right to me.

I remember the game in the finals with the US where Richter was amazing.. but 8 years ago?? Huh? What is the deal? Is this correct? And why has it been so long?

There is an easy explanation why the Tournament was not held in 2000.

The 2000 Sydney Olympics were held in the Southern Hemisphere, so what is normally summer in the North is winter there.

Because of this, those Summer games were held in September, instead of the usual July/early August date. The NHL, the NHLPA and the IIHF all decided it would not be prudent to try and go up against it...

jacklours

Mar 5, 2003
Magog
Lionel Hutz said:
A little different. The World Championships are held every year. It is an IIHF tourney, run on big ice etc, an international tourney.

The World Cup used to be the Canada cup, its played in North America (mostly) on NHL size ice surfaces, and run by the NHL.

I see, thank you. So from what I can understand, people make too big a deal of this Wolrd Cup as it is pretty much the same teams that compete every year against each others.

Lionel Hutz

Apr 13, 2004
Locking the Lounge??
jacklours said:
I see, thank you. So from what I can understand, people make too big a deal of this Wolrd Cup as it is pretty much the same teams that compete every year against each others.

I wouldn't say that. 1st, when the world championships are played, it begins while the playoffs are still on. So many of the best players in the world are playing in the NHL. 2nd, many others are hurt, or tired after an 82 game schedule and don't play. There is alot more star power in the World Cup.

Also, its the only international tournament played by North American/NHL rules.

Nazzy-19

Mar 3, 2004
Vancouver
Actually the World Cup has never been played on regular intervals.

'76,'81,'84,'87,'91,'96,'04

5 years, 3 years, 3years, 4 years, 5 years, 8years

BG43

Mar 15, 2002
Visit site
Nazzy-19 said:
Actually the World Cup has never been played on regular intervals.

'76,'81,'84,'87,'91,'96,'04

5 years, 3 years, 3years, 4 years, 5 years, 8years

Yup. I know that. This is why this tournament is really hard to figure out. It's not consistent like all the others.

Who knows when the next one will be? Meh.. I guess we should just enjoy it while we can.

HockeyMan9

Jul 1, 2002
Columbus, OH
Visit site
Gurj said:
Because of this, those Summer games were held in September, instead of the usual July/early August date. The NHL, the NHLPA and the IIHF all decided it would not be prudent to try and go up against it...

If only they knew how bad those Olympics were going to do as far as rating they probably would have had the tourney then.

jacklours

Mar 5, 2003
Magog
Lionel Hutz said:
I wouldn't say that. 1st, when the world championships are played, it begins while the playoffs are still on. So many of the best players in the world are playing in the NHL. 2nd, many others are hurt, or tired after an 82 game schedule and don't play. There is alot more star power in the World Cup.

Also, its the only international tournament played by North American/NHL rules.

Yeah you're actually right on both points even though this year the start power is not as strong as it could be since many players chose not to play.

hardcore_fan

Apr 27, 2002
Ottawa
Visit site
Raimo Sillanpää said:
the olympics in 2000, which were in australia, were at that spot in the calender in which they'd have liked to have held it.. so to avoid being drowned by olympic viewership, they decided to not have one..
Thanks, I knew it was something to do with the Olympics.

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Raimo Sillanpää said:

This not not the reason. The olympics were in late September.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->