News Article: Confirmed: Valimaki and Dube will start the season with the Flames

tmurfin

That’s the joke
May 8, 2010
Valli looked overwhelmed a lot of the time, that being said, he was strapped to Stone would looked terrible last night. And on the plus side, Valli has some SERIOUS flashes of brilliance, he's gonna be a good player for us, I don't think he makes it past the 9 games though unless something drastically changes, and that's fine by me.

Flameshomer

Likeaholic
Aug 26, 2010
Edmonton
Valli looked overwhelmed a lot of the time, that being said, he was strapped to Stone would looked terrible last night. And on the plus side, Valli has some SERIOUS flashes of brilliance, he's gonna be a good player for us, I don't think he makes it past the 9 games though unless something drastically changes, and that's fine by me.
9 games are immaterial to valimaki, he is AHL eligible.

I think he sticks, he's a better option than any other we have for the last d spot. I thought he looked better than both Gio and Brodie along with Stone last night too. Hanifin-Hamonic looked like our best pairing.

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
9 games are immaterial to valimaki, he is AHL eligible.

I think he sticks, he's a better option than any other we have for the last d spot. I thought he looked better than both Gio and Brodie along with Stone last night too. Hanifin-Hamonic looked like our best pairing.
Since Valimaki is in his draft +2 season, his contract can slide, even in the AHL. Like Poirier, SHinkaruk and Kylington's have in the AHL.

Reactions: tmurfin

Volica

Papa Shango
May 15, 2012

Really the first goal is on him... outside of that, his good play outweighed his bad play. It's just easier to remember the bad pinch. That pass to Dube and that circle shot are examples of how good he can be. Let the kid settle in.

Valimaki was far from a concern for from last night. I don't want to use a single game to really make any major claims, but there are some things I'm concerned out.

OvermanKingGainer

#BennettFreed #CurseofTheSpulll #FreeOliver
Feb 3, 2015
2022 Cup to Calgary
Really the first goal is on him... outside of that, his good play outweighed his bad play. It's just easier to remember the bad pinch.

Uh, not it did not. The first goal against was definitely a bad pinch, but it was the third goal (and eventual GWG) that really buried us and that was on Valimaki as he was completely lost defensively creating a 2-on-Smith. Had he played his coverage, Smith probably makes that save one-on-one. Not to absolve Stone for his own positioning on that play. In fact that third goal was far more of an issue than the bad pinch, I'm not someone who complains about bad offensive zone pinches as even the best players in the world make them.

Volica

Papa Shango
May 15, 2012
Uh, not it did not. The first goal against was definitely a bad pinch, but it was the third goal (and eventual GWG) that really buried us and that was on Valimaki as he was completely lost defensively creating a 2-on-Smith. Had he played his coverage, Smith probably makes that save one-on-one. Not to absolve Stone for his own positioning on that play. In fact that third goal was far more of an issue than the bad pinch, I'm not someone who complains about bad offensive zone pinches as even the best players in the world make them.

The third goal, in which a ring around the boards in which Monahan and Lindholm both miss that ends on a pinching Vancouver D, where literally every player is already up ice except the two Vancouver Canucks who were behind the play are on Valimaki?

Sweet. Good to know.

SmellOfVictory

Jun 3, 2011
The third goal, in which a ring around the boards in which Monahan and Lindholm both miss that ends on a pinching Vancouver D, where literally every player is already up ice except the two Vancouver Canucks who were behind the play are on Valimaki?

Sweet. Good to know.
I agree, that goal was on the D pairing. Literally every player being up the ice (particularly forwards) shouldn't mean jack to a defenceman. Valimaki lost his man and Stone did Stone things by chilling along the boards uselessly.

Snazu

I contribute nothing
Feb 2, 2007
Since Valimaki is in his draft +2 season, his contract can slide, even in the AHL. Like Poirier, SHinkaruk and Kylington's have in the AHL.

So I always wondered this, when a contract slides like that, how does the player get paid? He's not playing for free for that season, is he? Like Kylington playing when he was 18 in the AHL, He had to have been getting paid to do so, right?

Rubi

Photographer
Sponsor
Jan 9, 2009
So I always wondered this, when a contract slides like that, how does the player get paid? He's not playing for free for that season, is he? Like Kylington playing when he was 18 in the AHL, He had to have been getting paid to do so, right?
I may be wrong but I believe the player gets paid his signing bonus.

Reactions: Snazu

Snazu

I contribute nothing
Feb 2, 2007
I think you are right. Looking at Kylington on cap friendly, it looks that way.
Oliver Kylington - CapFriendly - NHL Salary Caps

Taken from Cap Friendly.
If a player who is signed to an entry-level contract and is 18 or 19 years of age (as of September 15 of the signing year), does not play in a minimum of 10 NHL games (including both regular season and playoffs; AHL games do not count), their contract is considered to ‘slide’, or extend, by one year. For example, if a player signed an ELC for three seasons from 2015-16 to 2017-2018, and their contract slides, their contract is now effective from 2016-17 to 2018-19. An exception to this rule is that if the player is 19 on September 15 of the first year of their contract, and turns 20 between September 16 and December 31, their contract does not slide.

Because signing bonuses are paid regardless of a slide, the bonuses paid on the slide year no longer count to the players remaining cap hit. The cap hit therefore changes - the players salary is averaged without the signing bonus.

Reactions: Wish You Were Here

Fig

Absolute Horse Shirt
Dec 15, 2014

I think you are right. Looking at Kylington on cap friendly, it looks that way.
Oliver Kylington - CapFriendly - NHL Salary Caps

Yeah, I think you guys are right.

Entry-Level Slide Candidates - CapFriendly - NHL Salary Caps

Because signing bonuses are paid regardless of a slide, the bonuses paid on the slide year no longer count to the players remaining cap hit. The cap hit therefore changes - the players salary is averaged without the signing bonus.

NHL Entry Level Contracts (ELC) – A Quick Primer

NHL Entry Level Contracts have the following components:
  • Maximum Salary $925,000
  • Signing Bonus: Limited to 10% of maximum salary or $92,500 (included in salary)

I could be wrong, but I assume when the player turns 20 (ELC no longer slides), he is essentially just paid signing bonuses until the ELC expires? Sorta like a pseudo two way deal?

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
It has no impact on their pay. They get whatever the per day rate is for their time on the NHL roster and the AHL roster. Technically speaking, Valimaki could be in the NHL all season, earn his full salary and still have his contract slide if he doesn't play the 10th game. All sliding really does is extend the contract at the current terms if they are playing in the AHL, with the exception of signing bonuses, which are paid per their original schedule.

SmellOfVictory

Jun 3, 2011
2hA4.gif
giphy.gif

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad