News Article: Confirmed: Valimaki and Dube will start the season with the Flames

Baxterman

Aug 27, 2017
Handiness does matter it’s why the vast majority of defensemen play on the same side that they shoot.

But what’s important here isn’t just the Stone is a RHS it’s that he’s played on the right side the vast majority of his time in hockey.

If we are talking about Brodie who has a history of playing in his off side sure but why move a guy to the side he has way less experience, and likely is less comfortable on, for a marginal upgrade at best (and likely not an upgrade at all)?

Dack

Jun 16, 2014
What do people expect of Dube this year? 20 goals, 40 points?
If he stays up all year anywhere from 15G 30P to 20G 45P. I'd think some where between 35 and 45 but who knows maybe the bottom 6 will suck again.

Sep 8, 2013
Toronto Nebula
Unless it’s a keeper league you’re asking about, I’d avoid him at this point. He might have a 40-45pt year, but that’s far from a sure thing. Honestly I’ll be happy if he scores 30.
Thanks. Yeah, I don't need his production this year. But it seems from what I've read that his ceiling could be high and he is still improving a lot.

Deen

Feb 19, 2010
Think they both stick honestly. More worried about Dube gettimg the jitters than Maki.

Johnny Hoxville

The Return of a Legend
Jul 15, 2006
Calgary
Thanks. Yeah, I don't need his production this year. But it seems from what I've read that his ceiling could be high and he is still improving a lot.

Some feel he has Brayden Point upside, as early as this season. I see him perhaps being slightly better than Gallagher over his career.

Reactions: snipetype and Dack

Rubi

Photographer
Sponsor
Jan 9, 2009
Yes. Also playing someone off their strong side, or moving Brodie back to LD.

Maybe Healey, Hogstrom, or either of the two guys they got for Kulak.
I guess I should have said: "Who else is there that's good to replace him on the left side?
I doubt they will move Brodie back to the left side. They tried that... didn't work out so well.
I don't think anyone you mentioned is an NHL caliber defenseman. I stand by my original statement that Valimaki is here to stay. They burned the return bridge when they traded Kulak. No going back with the guys we have left in the system that can play LD, with the exception of Kylington and I really don't think he's quite ready for the NHL this season right now. However, that said, Kylington certainly is a better replacement option than Healy, Hogstrom, or the 2 Montreal players that we just got for Kulak.

Rubi

Photographer
Sponsor
Jan 9, 2009
What do people expect of Dube this year? 20 goals, 40 points?
To be truthful I would be happy with 10 goals and 10 assists.. and that he doesn't cost us more goals than he scores or help score.

Reactions: Karri Ramone

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
Dube is set to get top 9 minutes with Ryan (who should have a 35+ point pace) and Neal (who should have a 50+ point pace), so being on pace for anything less than 25 points (if he has minimal to no PP time) will be disappointing and should see him head down to Stockton.

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
Guessing you mean Hanifin - Hamonic.

For sure they have. Hanifin will be one of those guys that will make his partner look great regardless of who it is; not a knock on Hamonic, who looks to be much better)
:laugh: I did, yes. I think their games fit well together. Hanifin needs to be with a defensive stalwart, in Carolina he was with the worst possible partner on the 2nd pairing and it saw him moved down to play with TVR who while no stalwart, was better than Faulk defensively. This is why Carolina fans seemed to have negative things to say about him IMO, they never had a Hamonic type player to pair him with. Hamonic's style allows Hanifin to venture.

Reactions: King In The North

Sep 8, 2013
Toronto Nebula
To be truthful I would be happy with 10 goals and 10 assists.. and that he doesn't cost us more goals than he scores or help score.
10+10 would be a big disappointment from a top 9er. That is a 4th liner production territory.

Rubi

Photographer
Sponsor
Jan 9, 2009
10+10 would be a big disappointment from a top 9er. That is a 4th liner production territory.
For a 20 year old rookie drafted 56th overall I'd be satisfied... providing his defensive game was good.

Baxterman

Aug 27, 2017

It wouldn't be a big disappointment as I doubt that there is going to be much difference between our "3rd" line and "4th" line in terms of ice time and Dube is not going to get much, if any PP time.

Rubi

Photographer
Sponsor
Jan 9, 2009

Or he could have gone with #3 to honor 2x Norris Trophy winner Pierre Pilote (Chicago Blackhawks) who once scored 59 pts as a defenseman which was almost unheard of for a d-man in mid '60s

#8 was a good choice too.

Last edited:

Aug 3, 2010

Or he could have gone with #3 to honor 2x Norris Trophy winner Pierre Pilote (Chicago Blackhawks) who once scored 59 pts as a defenseman which was almost unheard of for a d-man in mid '60s

#8 was a good choice too.

Too bad he didn't take 3 and wipe the memory of Phaneuf's time here off the map.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad