WJC: Confirmed: Roy to make second start for Canada

OttawaRoughRiderFan*

http://www.tsn.ca/world_jrs/story/?id=346981

Good move by Dave Cameron. Roy looked a bit shaky at times against Russia. Could have been nerves. Throw him right back in net against the Czechs and give him a chance to prove that he can be steady. Visentin will probably start against Norway on Wednesday.

I thought Visentin should start as well but...

If Roy does not play well, Visetin can start the remaining 2 games, and if he does well, the playoffs.

NativeHockey77*

good to see patrick's son doing great in the world juniors

SDig14

Feb 19, 2010
Edmonton, AB
Well, they're clearly more comfortable with Roy right now...assuming he plays as well as he did yesterday or better, Roy seemingly will be the goalie against Sweden and into the medal round

Considering the quality of opposition yesterday, I thought Roy was quite solid...people keep worrying about big rebounds but he directed them all to the right spots and there were nearly no second and third chances...obviously, the second goal was awful but hopefully we can chalk that up to nerves and he comes out a lot more calm tomorrow

SensFan26

Oct 27, 2009
Sturgeon County, AB
good to see patrick's son doing great in the world juniors

trlht.jpg

shaner8989

Aug 6, 2005
Roy was nervous at the beginning but played very well late in the game

Good move by Cameron.

LeafOfBread

Feb 25, 2010
Mississauga, ON
Hm, not too sure about this. He looked a bit shaky the first two periods but settled down quite nicely in the 3rd and made a few big stops.

Still, his performance wasn't convincing enough to me...but he played big when it mattered most so I guess he deserves a second straight start.

R S

Sep 18, 2006
Didn't really like how he looked in the first game. Would have went with Visentin.

bleuetbio

Registered luser
Nov 13, 2008
Montreal
Didn't really like how he looked in the first game. Would have went with Visentin.

its a particular context. IMO, in the past, we have a real starter or 2 great. We could put the 2nd goalie in the 2nd game, we felt ok with this because we knew that our started will be ready for the playoffs. This year, our goalie staff is not at the same level. We have 2 good goalies, but not a great one. If the coach thinks that Roy is his man, he has to make him ready for the big games and for the moment, Roy is not in his better shape. So the 2nd game is crucial for Roy. If he's unable to upgrace his play, Visentin could be the starter for the rest of the tournament. If he's better, Visentin will play probably the game after and Roy will be back after for the final exhibition game.

Tavaresmagicalplay*

I'm quite surprised actually but glad to hear. Hopefully he gets a shutout against Norway and gets his confidence up.

dralaf

Aug 9, 2006
Victo
Precisely.

And personal opinion here, but Jonathan's music sucks. Should've stuck to hockey.

don't you dare call it music... it's barely singing... like when you say whales are singing... but even then, you'd be talking about a whale who just ate some bad plancton or something...

Blind Gardien

nexus of the crisis
Apr 2, 2004
Four Winds Bar
The team isn't an offensive powerhouse, and I don't see a big mean shut-down defense style either. Ergo, at some point the goalie is going to be key. Getting the goalie rolling is important. I don't have a clue if the best way to do that is to stick with Roy and get him out there again in an "easier" (?one hopes?) game. Or if it would have been to start getting Visentin ready. Personally, I'm a bit biased in favour of Visentin. But the guys running the team have to have a pretty good idea who the top dog is by now. It's going to end up being a key decision, I expect. We'll see how it turns out, basically.

RCGP

Go Panthers
Jul 3, 2002
Calgary Alberta
Visit site
The coaching staff said that it was a really tough decision on who should start vs Russia, then Roy comes out and plays terrible yet he still gets the next start? At least give Visentin a shot against the Czechs and then re-evaluate from there.

tv14

Cam Dadbot
Feb 12, 2008
Alberta
The coaching staff said that it was a really tough decision on who should start vs Russia, then Roy comes out and plays terrible yet he still gets the next start? At least give Visentin a shot against the Czechs and then re-evaluate from there.

I dont think he played terrible, he played pretty good I thought except for the five-hole goal.

Im not sure why this is a big deal and being announced again. You think any coach would continue to play the goalie he chose to be starter after he won his first game against one of the tougher teams. You'd have to question Cameron if he started Visentin in game 2 of the tournament.

Valic

BOOOOOOOOOO
Jun 12, 2007
Canada
Roy was not terrible. He let in one goal he shouldn't have, but also made a handful of really nice saves.

I think this was a great decision.

Klaus

Teemu!
May 8, 2010
Winnipeg, MB
Good. Other than the second goal Roy was good, a bit nervous at first but hopefully that's worked out. If he really blows it in the game vs the Czechs then I say put Visentin in.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad