Injury Report: [Confirmed] Gaudreau out indefinitely

InfinityIggy

Zagidulin's Dad
Jan 30, 2011
Even later in the game when Hathaway rolled over Duby, and Dumba drops the gloves with the sucker punch; how is someone not pinning him and challenging him once he hits the ice again. This team is so soft it hurts.

This in particular bothered me. Other teams and Flames teams of the past would have reacted much differently. I am not saying I want to see a line brawl, but if one happens in the course of sticking up for your team mates, then so be it.

Ynnek

Oct 24, 2011
New Brunswick
The only way to have the NHL crack down on this is if Mathews or McDavid got injured. And no I'm not hoping or suggesting it happens.

Volica

Papa Shango
May 15, 2012
This in particular bothered me. Other teams and Flames teams of the past would have reacted much differently. I am not saying I want to see a line brawl, but if one happens in the course of sticking up for your team mates, then so be it.

Some heart goes a long way. You HAVE to stick up for teammates; or things like this will continue to happen. Bennett has really been staying away from physicality minus taking a lot of bad penalties. We can't look at an 18 year old to get Calgary engaged :laugh:

tmurfin

That’s the joke
May 8, 2010
I miss Hartley and his goon antics. All those supposed "tough" customers in the locker room should be embarrassed today.

FlamerForLife

Mon Seanahan
May 22, 2015
Calgary
Hopefully what this injury does is get this group closer together, and light a fire under them to play better, but judging by the quotes that doesn't seem to be the case right now.

FLAMESFAN

Feb 27, 2002
I've said it a few times this year, but it really seems like there's growing dissent in the locker room, going back to last year.
I get that losing is not fun, and I'm sure tensions are rising. But if those guys don't have each others back then this is going to be a long year.

I agree with those that say this could be a blessing in disguise, and be an opportunity to come together. Let's hope so.

FLAMESFAN

Feb 27, 2002
This is just speculation, and I'm sure it's going to ruffle a few feathers but...
It almost sounds to me like players are a little upset with Johnny. Could be from the holdout. We've seen him frustrated many times this year, is he not dealing with it properly?

Johnny Hoxville

The Return of a Legend
Jul 15, 2006
Calgary
This is just speculation, and I'm sure it's going to ruffle a few feathers but...
It almost sounds to me like players are a little upset with Johnny. Could be from the holdout. We've seen him frustrated many times this year, is he not dealing with it properly?

During his interview in between periods, he did not look happy.

DCDM

Da Rink Cats
Mar 24, 2008
Calgary

Not saying you're right or wrong, but if you are right, my response to the players is "grow the **** up."

InfinityIggy

Zagidulin's Dad
Jan 30, 2011

The thought did cross my mind when I read Giordano's comment tbh.

FLAMESFAN

Feb 27, 2002
Not saying you're right or wrong, but if you are right, my response to the players is "grow the **** up."

But what I'm hinting to is he acting a bit primadonna? Blaming others, pointing fingers and all.
That would wear thin on your teammates, and would explain their answers.

MonyontheMoney

Apr 5, 2015
Honestly, I hate that it happened, and that we will be without our best player for a while, but a couple things:
- I'd be very surprised if the players even noticed the vast majority of the slashes, given they are all focused on their own tasks. I'd say most of those plays are highly unnoticeable on the ice.

- It's a 1 goal game, we are already 5 games below .500, and we have the 2nd worst PK in the league.

- The quote that says that kind of stuff happens all the time is not wrong, it really does. Sportsnet was all over it and that's why it's made such a big deal.

- If I'm worried about players not defending a teammate, I'm looking at the Dumba/Hathaway play. That's something that should have been noticed by the players, and quite frankly a ******** play by Dumba.

DCDM

Da Rink Cats
Mar 24, 2008
Calgary
But what I'm hinting to is he acting a bit primadonna? Blaming others, pointing fingers and all.
That would wear thin on your teammates, and would explain their answers.

Well frankly is he wrong in blaming them? What have they done lately? He's basically been a one man offensive show for the last however many games.

Still, whether or not he's pointing fingers at others isn't enough of a reason for the rest of the team to essentially turn their back on him. That's beyond petty. And I would expect more from all of them, especially the guy with the C on his shirt.

OvermanKingGainer

#BennettFreed #CurseofTheSpulll #FreeOliver
Feb 3, 2015
2022 Cup to Calgary
Gio, Gulutzan, Brouwer, Gaudreau himself - they have all pretty much agreed that star players on all teams take this kind of abuse and threats/retaliation don't really serve a purpose. I don't like it one bit, but this issue is much bigger than the Calgary Flames being some team that doesn't have each other's backs. It's an NHL problem.

That said Bruce Boudreau should be fined, these slashes were clearly premeditated with a lot more actual ill-intent than the Bob Hartley Line Brawl in Van City.

I don't believe for one second that this team lacks togetherness or toughness. They are just realists rather than people living in imaginary junior high school logic land.

- If I'm worried about players not defending a teammate, I'm looking at the Dumba/Hathaway play. That's something that should have been noticed by the players, and quite frankly a ******** play by Dumba.

Hathaway is one of the toughest customers on the team. I thought his immediate response was sufficient since he classically laughed it off like the beast he is.

FLAMESFAN

Feb 27, 2002
Well frankly is he wrong in blaming them? What have they done lately? He's basically been a one man offensive show for the last however many games.

Still, whether or not he's pointing fingers at others isn't enough of a reason for the rest of the team to essentially turn their back on him. That's beyond petty. And I would expect more from all of them, especially the guy with the C on his shirt.

Sure he's right to be upset they haven't had his back, but you can't put yourself above the team. there's a right & wrong way to go about venting in the lockerroom, and I agree that to me it seems like the situation has gotten out of Gio's control.
Again, this is just an if, but it would take a lot for the players to be turning their backs on Johnny.

Bosnian Beast

Formerly Janko Unchained
Dec 30, 2010
Lethbridge, AB
Gio, Gulutzan, Brouwer, Gaudreau himself - they have all pretty much agreed that star players on all teams take this kind of abuse and threats/retaliation don't really serve a purpose. I don't like it one bit, but this issue is much bigger than the Calgary Flames being some team that doesn't have each other's backs. It's an NHL problem.

That said Bruce Boudreau should be fined, these slashes were clearly premeditated with a lot more actual ill-intent than the Bob Hartley Line Brawl in Van City.

I don't believe for one second that this team lacks togetherness or toughness. They are just realists rather than people living in imaginary junior high school logic land.

I'm hopeful that you're right re: the bolded. Without full context, those comments look really bad on our leadership, but because the comments are taken out of their full context, I am a bit weary to draw any real conclusions from them.

The one thing I suggested to Deebz this morning actually touches on what you mention at the start of your post - the idea that retaliation hurts the team. I suggested this morning to Deebz that it might possibly be an idea that comes from the coaching staff and permeates through the team as a result. Considering how many penalties we have already taken this season (justified or not), it may be that the coaching staff doesn't want our players reacting to these sort of things, to avoid further penalties. I have a hard time buying that our players are all soft when we saw under Hartley some level of emotion and response to our players getting run over or hacked to bits.

I like what Gully had to say in the summer and I want to give him a chance, but part of me thinks that the responses we saw from our players has been due to our coaching staff. Like Deebz said, every time we get scored on, the guy is looking to the floor - the game isn't on the ****ing floor, it is on the ice.

OvermanKingGainer

#BennettFreed #CurseofTheSpulll #FreeOliver
Feb 3, 2015
2022 Cup to Calgary
it might possibly be an idea that comes from the coaching staff and permeates through the team as a result.

Brouwer is one of the most infamously outspoken players in the NHL. If he felt one way he would speak up. But listen to his interview yesterday, he brushes it off. This is a guy who's played on a cup winner, and on some pretty rough'n'tough grinding teams.

Gaudreau talked about the slashes he takes last year, when Hartley was coach. He said flat out that he was learning that the only thing he can do about it is dish it back. But apparently Gulutzan is the problem.

Gio, he's hardly a soft player. Guy is 100% character. Disgusts me that people are calling him out for being brutally honest instead of giving some fake pep talk about taking names and headhunting.

Gulutzan's interview was pretty straightforward too "they weren't malicious slashes, and even then a few games back Ferland responded to them".

Fans are being selfish as fans to see retribution instead of realistic about this stuff. This isn't even a team that gets pushed around physically or intimidated. They are a team that gets robbed by refs though.

Last edited:

Bosnian Beast

Formerly Janko Unchained
Dec 30, 2010
Lethbridge, AB
Brouwer is one of the most infamously outspoken players in the NHL. If he felt one way he would speak up. But listen to his interview yesterday, he brushes it off. This is a guy who's played on a cup winner, and on some pretty rough'n'tough grinding teams.

Gaudreau talked about the slashes he takes last year, when Hartley was coach. He said flat out that he was learning that the only thing he can do about it is dish it back. But apparently Gulutzan is the problem.

Gio, he's hardly a soft player. Guy is 100% character. Disgusts me that people are calling him out for being brutally honest instead of giving some fake pep talk about taking names and headhunting.

Gulutzan's interview was pretty straightforward too "they weren't malicious slashes, and even then a few games back Ferland responded to them".

Fans are being selfish as fans to see retribution instead of realistic about this stuff.

No, I agree with you for the most part, which is why I am not taking those comments as detrimentally as some other people are. The reason I brought up Gulutzan was because I pondered on it this morning, and was suggesting that this might be why there is a perception of the team going soft. Gulutzan is a different style of coach, he doesn't show a lot of emotion. In contrast to coaches like Hartley and even Brent Sutter [shudders], his calm demeanor can raise some eyebrows when a team with apparent playoff aspirations is making an early run for Nolan Patrick. That demeanor with the out of context quotes (and worse yet, paraphrased quotes) can lead to exactly what you're talking about in terms of fans reactions.

East Coast Icestyle

Mar 6, 2015
Nova Scotia, Canada
Are we really selfish to expect frustration/anger to surface on the ice and retaliations to take place? We aren't fast, we aren't skilled, we need to be the toughest team on the ice every night.

Quite frankly, there's a lot of losing going on that these players should be pissed about.

InfinityIggy

Zagidulin's Dad
Jan 30, 2011

You are taking it to the other extreme though. I don't think anyone is expecting him to say 'we will come out and take X player out next time'.

An expectation that they need to 'watch each others backs' or really, just anything other than 'there is nothing we can do about it'.

Jmo89

Mar 21, 2010
Is there a video or gif of this? I find it disgusting that the guy got a bone broken yet the offender didn't even get a penalty. :shakehead

FlamerForLife

Mon Seanahan
May 22, 2015
Calgary
I'm hopeful that you're right re: the bolded. Without full context, those comments look really bad on our leadership, but because the comments are taken out of their full context, I am a bit weary to draw any real conclusions from them.

The one thing I suggested to Deebz this morning actually touches on what you mention at the start of your post - the idea that retaliation hurts the team. I suggested this morning to Deebz that it might possibly be an idea that comes from the coaching staff and permeates through the team as a result. Considering how many penalties we have already taken this season (justified or not), it may be that the coaching staff doesn't want our players reacting to these sort of things, to avoid further penalties. I have a hard time buying that our players are all soft when we saw under Hartley some level of emotion and response to our players getting run over or hacked to bits.

I like what Gully had to say in the summer and I want to give him a chance, but part of me thinks that the responses we saw from our players has been due to our coaching staff. Like Deebz said, every time we get scored on, the guy is looking to the floor - the game isn't on the ****ing floor, it is on the ice.

At the saddle dome there's video monitors on the ground where the coaches stand, so maybe he looks down to catch the replay. I'm not sure if other arenas have the same thing, but I think that's why he looks down overtime we get scored on.

JPeeper

Hail Satan!
Jan 4, 2015
I miss Hartley and his goon antics. All those supposed "tough" customers in the locker room should be embarrassed today.

Gulutzan would go from zero to hero in my books if he pulled a "anger tort" and sent out all our goons vs the Wild the next time we play them and just start an intentional line brawl.

Do it freaking every time Gaudreau get's slashed and it goes uncalled, literally EVERY. SINGLE. TIME. EVERY. GAME.

Just take the 74 fines you'll get and move on.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad