Conference Calls With NHL Players

Aeroforce

Apr 28, 2012
Houston, TX
These are done by division, with the Atlantic and Central due to post early next week.

I realized watching these that while I may dislike some of these guys when my team plays them, I miss all of them.

The camaraderie between Pacific Division rivals was entertaining. Kopitar joked about Doughty which Getzlaf dug. Then when asked about the season resuming with the playoffs, Getzlaf joked to Kopitar that they don't need to worry about that.

Not that surprising, but most players don't have a lot of fitness equipment at home. A couple ordered Pelotons, and Foligno described the uncertainty of not knowing what to train for exactly.

Reactions: bobholly39 and Eegs

Little Psycho

I solemnly swear I'm up to no good
Feb 4, 2007
Non-Yah
Kopitar telling Getzlaf to show him the chicken coop lol. And to know one's surprise except Fluery's that Doughty would be the best and least quarentine buddy.

Reactions: Aeroforce

Rich Nixon

No Prior Knowledge of "Flyers"
Jul 11, 2006
Key Biscayne
I get jealous when I hear stories from old NHL players who used to talk about hating their opponents.

The f*** kinda comment is this? Some individual players will always have grudges and disdain for each other, sure, same now as then--and sometimes it's off-ice. But many players on different teams have basically always been friends or friendly, they're dudes of a similar background and experience who are part of a small, select group fortunate enough to play at that level.

But especially now, in the middle of a damn global pandemic, you're disgruntled that some grown men don't display more animosity over the stick-and-puck game? The hell?

Unlimited Chequing

Christian Yellow
Jan 29, 2009
Calgary, Alberta
But many players on different teams have basically always been friends or friendly, they're dudes of a similar background and experience who are part of a small, select group fortunate enough to play at that level.

Yeah, I think most fans don't realize that a lot of players either came up or grew up together, played on the same international teams, or train together on the off-season (or any combination of all).

Rich Nixon

No Prior Knowledge of "Flyers"
Jul 11, 2006
Key Biscayne
Yeah, I think most fans don't realize that a lot of players either came up or grew up together, played on the same international teams, or train together on the off-season (or any combination of all).

Wayne Simmonds and Tom Wilson are buddies off-ice, they train together, and they've fought in the league. The Primeau brothers dropped the gloves back in the day. Max Talbot was close with most of the Penguins and he still threw fists at them during his brief Flyers tenure. Members of the Flyers, Devils, and Predators ended up in the same Nashville bar together one night during a regular season a few years back and they hung out rather than like, throwing chairs. Crosby was on record as saying he didn't like anyone on the Flyers, and Claude Giroux personally blamed him for the bone chips in his wrists that required surgery after the 2012 playoffs (said Sid crosshecked the hell out of his hands on every faceoff)--and guess what, those two guys did one of these conference calls last week together without incident! They've even played on the same line in international tournaments! Golly!

It's almost like most of these grown, adult men can separate what happens on that little enclosed rink from what happens in real life, where most of them are just regular millionaires trying to have fun or raise families or whatever. A lot of them know each other from juniors or international play or league events or wherever else. That doesn't mean they all like each other, but it also doesn't mean they won't go to war when the puck drops, it just means they're not just absolute rage morons.

Last edited:

TheDawnOfANewTage

Dahlin, it’ll all be fine
Dec 17, 2018
Wayne Simmonds and Tom Wilson are buddies off-ice, they train together, and they've fought in the league. The Primeau brothers dropped the gloves back in the day. Max Talbot was close with most of the Penguins and he still threw fists at them during his brief Flyers tenure. Members of the Flyers, Devils, and Predators ended up in the same Nashville bar together one night during a regular season a few years back and they hung out rather than like, throwing chairs. Crosby was on record as saying he didn't like anyone on the Flyers, and Claude Giroux personally blamed him for the bone chips in his wrists that required surgery after the 2012 playoffs (said Sid crosshecked the hell out of his hands on every faceoff)--and guess what, those two guys did one of these conference calls last week together without incident! They've even played on the same line in international tournaments! Golly!

It's almost like most of these grown, adult men can separate what happens on that little enclosed rink from what happens in real life, where most of them are just regular millionaires trying to have fun or raise families or whatever. A lot of them know each other from juniors or international play or league events or wherever else. That doesn't mean they all like each other, but it also doesn't mean they won't go to war when the puck drops, it just means they're not just absolute rage morons.

Dunno if Mair was right in that situation, but that clip really kinda opened my eyes to the relationship players might have- Mair uses a first name, seems to have no problem with the team, the opposing players.. besides Ruutu. So ya, I feel like the game has evolved to where players generally respect each other after that final whistle, and it becomes a problem if a guy feels a player’s style is disregarding that code.

Took a pill in Sbisa

2showToffoliIwascool
Apr 23, 2004
Australia
The f*** kinda comment is this? Some individual players will always have grudges and disdain for each other, sure, same now as then--and sometimes it's off-ice. But many players on different teams have basically always been friends or friendly, they're dudes of a similar background and experience who are part of a small, select group fortunate enough to play at that level.

But especially now, in the middle of a damn global pandemic, you're disgruntled that some grown men don't display more animosity over the stick-and-puck game? The hell?

Who are you, the opinion police? What does a global pandemic have to do with discussing the quality of hockey between now and several years ago?

Ask any Oiler or Flame fan and they'll tell you their favourite games this year were the ones with the most emotion; the Battle of Albertas.

Or Flyers and Pens fans what their favourite games have been.

There's very little argument that the emotion conjured up by the disdain of an opponent results in more entertaining hockey. Looking back at the greatest playoff series of all time features all out wars on the ice.

I know why the game has changed and I'm not discounting the reasons why it has, but that doesn't mean I can't also envy the entertainment factor that used to be.

And assuming I'm disgruntled because I'm envious of something is a hell of a connection to make.

Last edited:
Reactions: Vijo Morganstein

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->