confederations cup expansion

NHL Dude 120

Jun 18, 2011
Ottawa
what would you think if the confederations cup was expanded to 16 teams?? of course this is all hypothetical.

The finalist
Russia(Hosts)
Germany(world cup champions)
Australia(Asian cup champions)
South Korea(Asian cup runner ups)
Chile(Copa America champions)
Peru(Best placed Copa America team)
Argentina(World cup runner ups)
Mexico(Gold cup playoff winner)
USA(Gold cup playoff runner ups)
New Zealand(OFC nations cup winner)
Papua New Guinea(OFC nations cup runner up)
France(Either winners or runner ups of Euro 2016)
Portugal(Either winners or runner ups of Euro 2016)
Winner of 2017 Africa Cup of Nations
Runner ups of 2017 Africa Cup of Nations
Brazil (previous champions)

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Why does it need to be expanded? It's not supposed to be something big, it's basically a dress rehearsal for the World Cup.

NHL Dude 120

Jun 18, 2011
Ottawa
Why does it need to be expanded? It's not supposed to be something big, it's basically a dress rehearsal for the World Cup.

honestly I just pulled this idea out of my ass, and thought why not see what others think

Just Win

Nov 3, 2008
Stuttgart
Do we really need for meaningless games between teams that aside from the host nation tend to send mostly their B-squad?

Theokritos

Global Moderator
Apr 6, 2010
Instead of making the top players play even more games they should scrap that waste of a tournament altogether. Who needs the Confed Cup?

Just Win

Nov 3, 2008
Stuttgart
Instead of making the top players play even more games they should scrap that waste of a tournament altogether. Who needs the Confed Cup?

The host nation as dress rehearsal and to build more hype for the actual tournament?:dunno:

But all that could also be done with a U19/U21 tourney.

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
The confed cup is a friendly, exclusively meant to give the host nation a dress rehearsal for the real deal. It doesn't need any more teams or games.

Alex Jones

BIG BOWL 'A CHILI!!
Jun 8, 2009
Conspiratron 9000
This. Oceania without Australia is a bit of a joke anyway. And if Australia can play in Asia, why not New Zealand et al.?

Asia doesn't want it. Their top teams are already dragged down by having to face minnows nonstop, adding more teams and thus more games against such teams for things like wc qualifying is exactly what they don't want.

BSHH

HSVer & Rotflügel
Apr 12, 2009
Hamburg
Expanding the Confed Cup might also devalue the WC, since there would be a tournament more similar to it than before. I also think that the lower profile usually leads to more open - and thus more attractive/interesting - Confed Cup matches. However, including the reigning winner is an interesting option per se, but since even the World Champion has to go through qualification, it may be a bit too much.

Gruß,
BSHH

Live in the Now

Dec 17, 2005
LA
I looked up the last Confed Cup out of curiosity and saw at least two games that I remember were better than any in these Euros. Italy-Japan and Italy-Brazil were both fantastic. The smaller field does lead to better games.

kov

Jul 5, 2002
NYC
I'd like to see the opposite: a full-blown FIFA World Cup (second division) for all the B-sides (pun intended) from each confederation. Gives them all more international experience, and then world cup qualification becomes a simple matter of promotion/relegation.

Woohoo! Who's with me!?

(crickets)

Uncle Rotter

May 11, 2010
Kelowna, B.C.
I'd like to see the opposite: a full-blown FIFA World Cup (second division) for all the B-sides (pun intended) from each confederation. Gives them all more international experience, and then world cup qualification becomes a simple matter of promotion/relegation.

Woohoo! Who's with me!?

(crickets)

There was something sort of like that:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Other_Final

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o-ayTDcpgfw&index=2&list=PLeFWlJKKksHNR2Y3L9h6VZvaYaippLUnu

gary69

Sep 22, 2004
Then and there

Woohoo! Who's with me!?

(crickets)

It'll be interesting to see what becomes of the planned European Nations League, due to start after the World Cup 2018.

If it ever materializes, it might evolve into a qualification and/or final tournament over time in Europe.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad