Condors' pairing of Musil, LaLeggia could be glimpse of the future for Oilers

HF Article

Nov 16, 2005
joey_laleggia_edmonton_092115.jpg
Photo: Bakersfield Condors defenseman and Edmonton Oilers prospect Joey LaLeggia, shown here in 2015 preseason action with the Oilers, produced 49 goals and 82 assists in 156 NCAA games for the University of Denver (courtesy of Jose Quiroz/Icon Sportswire)

</p> It’s all about potential when it comes to prospects.

And for the Edmonton Oilers, the second defensive pairing for their AHL affiliate, the Bakersfield Condors, is oozing with potential between Joey LaLeggia and David Musil.

Musil, 22, is in his third professional season and has been growing into his size on the blue line. A second round pick (31st overall) in 2011, the former Vancouver Giant has started to use his 6-foot-4, 203-pound frame to his advantage.… read more

The post Condors’ pairing of Musil, LaLeggia could be glimpse of the future for Oilers appeared first on Hockey's Future.

More...

Aceboogie

Aug 25, 2012
Interesting. Ive heard a lot of good things about Musils season. Getting some great reviews and basically sounds equal to Davidson last year. I think hell shock alot of people at camp and compete for a spot. I think hell be in AHL for 1 more half season (longer depending on how our D core looks after this offseason)

Laleggia got some great reviews as a forward but still sounds like hes a bit too weak defensively. Im not as concerned as this is his first AHL season and hes a really small D. However his offense looks to be transferring, so thats good. However hell need another full year and half in AHL

Simpson is a guy im keeping my eye out for in 2017-2018

Draiskull

Oct 26, 2005
meh... Send down 3 of Reinhart, Oesterle, Nurse, Nikitn, Pardy and Clendenning and Musil is not much more than a bottom pairing Dman.

Its going to be a coin flip when it comes to letting him walk as a UFA or spend a roster spot on him.

Lack of foot speed can make a 4th overall (Reinhart) turn into a fringe NHLer

Mr Positive

Cap Crunch Incoming
Nov 20, 2013
I thought Musil looked excellent in his few games here last season. Well, excellent for a young D. Not like what Davidson has been for us this season, but still a good sign. For guys like him, playing a conservative game nullifies their downsides

Bangers

May 31, 2006
I hated the team drafting Musil over Jenner and thought he was on the road to bustville up until this year, so it's good to see him doing better.

Still, I don't ever see him overtaking Reinhart or Davidson on the org depth chart, so hopefully he can be a good trading chip.

Interesting that the article mentions how Hunt has been helping Laleggia out, as I think he ends up a similar player - AHL star who just isn't quite good (big) enough for the NHL.

MessierII

Aug 10, 2011
I'm not sure why so many wrote off music so long ago. He's been trending well every year.

Aerchon

Jul 20, 2011
I'm not sure why so many wrote off music so long ago. He's been trending well every year.

I really shouldn't bother posting. My stuff is based off a lot of viewings last year and this years camp where he was terrible. Combine that with a lack of call ups and I just dont buy the Musil hype. At all.

Serious foot speed issues that make Reinhart look like McDavid in comparison.

I know some say that can be fixed but I personally haven't seen it or think it likely.

Upside of Taylor Chorney. A bad pick unlikely to have an NHL career.

Bangers

May 31, 2006
I hated the team drafting Musil over Jenner and thought he was on the road to bustville up until this year, so it's good to see him doing better.

Still, I don't ever see him overtaking Reinhart or Davidson on the org depth chart, so hopefully he can be a good trading chip.

Interesting that the article mentions how Hunt has been helping Laleggia out, as I think he ends up a similar player - AHL star who just isn't quite good (big) enough for the NHL.

Senor Catface

Jul 25, 2006
I really shouldn't bother posting. My stuff is based off a lot of viewings last year and this years camp where he was terrible. Combine that with a lack of call ups and I just dont buy the Musil hype. At all.

I know some say that can be fixed but I personally haven't seen it or think it likely.

Musil has hype?

Muscles Glasses

Jul 9, 2007
Edmonton

If the Oilers can get 100+ NHL games out of David Musil, I will be very happy.

Jumptheshark

Rebooting myself
Oct 12, 2003
Somewhere on Uranus
With all the injuries on the oilers blue line.. Musil did not get a sniff. This causes me concern. Hockey sense and foot speed is the question at the nhl level

OilTastic

Embrace The Hate
Oct 5, 2009
St. Albert, Alberta.
meh... Send down 3 of Reinhart, Oesterle, Nurse, Nikitn, Pardy and Clendenning and Musil is not much more than a bottom pairing Dman.

Its going to be a coin flip when it comes to letting him walk as a UFA or spend a roster spot on him.

Lack of foot speed can make a 4th overall (Reinhart) turn into a fringe NHLer

i doubt Musil is re-signed after this season, so i doubt that LaLeggia/Musil even has a future here. and LaLeggia is the kind of guy you let a potential expansion team take from you.

Perfect_Drug

Mar 24, 2006
Montreal
Musil couldn't crack arguably the WORST defence in the NHL of the past 10 years, that was heavily depleted by injury.

If Chia has any say, we most definitely WILL be adding more depth and top end to the Big club, pushing guys like him even further down the depth chart.

This is a fluff piece at best. I don't think we will ever see Musil play another game in the NHL.

CornKicker

Holland is wrong..except all of the good things
Feb 18, 2005
this thread sounds alot like the brandon davidson threads before this season. only difference is the draft position

BoldNewLettuce

Esquire
Dec 21, 2008
Canada
this thread sounds alot like the brandon davidson threads before this season. only difference is the draft position

im not sure what you mean....but the difference would be Davidson had a sniff of the NHL.....Leggs and "Franks son" havnt had that yet.

But yes.....I guess you could pencil those guys in as your 7 if you're feeling frisky.

Oesterle is even more Davidson then Davidson was.

Beerfish

Apr 14, 2007
Musil, :laugh: LaLeggia = long shot with some skills, Musil is past the suspect stage. May as well have articles talking about how Alex Plante and Colton Teubert are the future.

Aceboogie

Aug 25, 2012

Yup my thinking exactly. I remember those from last year. Some average games at the end of the year in the NHL and hes was a write off. Yet numerous AHL watchers were calling him a rock in OKC and the best D by far there. People take a very small sample size from when they watched him and then apply it on broad context to the player. For instance when talking about Ethan Bear, youll still see posts like "well he looked rough in his 2 training camp games, so I dunno about him" Despite the 65 WHL games hes played since

With Musil you have some AHL watchers calling him a noticeable step up from Reinhart (who has looked solid in NHL recently)

Lets wait until camp to call him either good, or a bust. Because not one poster in here has watched him recently to make that call. Any everyone that is watching him is raving about him. But at camp he will prove himself either way

Aerchon

Jul 20, 2011

There might be a few similarities but Davidson has never had foot speed issues.

I have been high on Davidson for a long time and put him significantly higher on our prospect list than Musil. Following Davidson I thought he was a lock to be a #6/7 by this time until he got Cancer. After that I really thought his play dropped a bit and realistically it seemed unlikely he could return to his development path.

His play this year has exceeded all expectations and while its been a small sample size I think his upside is now completely undefined. I think he played like a legit second pairing guy already so who knows where he can go.

Musil and Davidson are leagues apart now. Literally :)

Mr Positive

Cap Crunch Incoming
Nov 20, 2013
Musil, :laugh: LaLeggia = long shot with some skills, Musil is past the suspect stage. May as well have articles talking about how Alex Plante and Colton Teubert are the future.

Musil is 22 years old. That's nothing for a Dman. Laleggia is 23 and has some interesting skills. Great players sometimes come out of nowhere.

I think Teubert is a good comparable for Musil though, and just like Teubert Musil will get a chance to sink or swim in the NHL. The story doesn't have to end the same way.

Aceboogie

Aug 25, 2012
Musil is 22 years old. That's nothing for a Dman. Laleggia is 23 and has some interesting skills. Great players sometimes come out of nowhere.

I think Teubert is a good comparable for Musil though, and just like Teubert Musil will get a chance to sink or swim in the NHL. The story doesn't have to end the same way.

Tuebert never really did well in the ahl. He couldn't skate and had rocks for brains. Musil by all accounts has tremendous IQ but same skating issues

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad