Concussions

Do you treat or assess people who have suffered a concussion

• Total voters

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
I wonder if there is a design for hockey Helmets to mimick the chin strap the football uses. Something more solid around the ears for hockey so that they can have a proper chin strap.

EP his chin strap is around an inch below his chin. I think the recommended distance is a cm. Don’t think anyone today straps it as tight as when Kariya had it after his concussions.

Hockey helmets seem easier to move around than they should be given the contact in the game.

Reactions: pgj98m3 and Pip

Megaterio Llamas

el rey del mambo
Oct 29, 2011
North Shore
I've had my bell rung quite a few times in my sport of water buffalo riding. I just shake it off after I wake up and jump right back on that ol' water buffalo and show him who's the boss.

I support the Canucks response to this 100 percent and fully expect to see Petey back in there Tuesday in Pittsburgh.

JoeCool16

Sep 9, 2011
Vancouver
EP his chin strap is around an inch below his chin. I think the recommended distance is a cm. Don’t think anyone today straps it as tight as when Kariya had it after his concussions.

Errr... looks pretty low to me.

297.jpg

Megaterio Llamas

el rey del mambo
Oct 29, 2011
North Shore
I wonder if there is a design for hockey Helmets to mimick the chin strap the football uses. Something more solid around the ears for hockey so that they can have a proper chin strap.

Hockey helmets seem easier to move around than they should be given the contact in the game.
Dominic Moore was one of the few players to wear a snug fitted helmet in the NHL recently. It used to be the norm.

pgj98m3

Jan 8, 2012
I've had my bell rung quite a few times in my sport of water buffalo riding. I just shake it off after I wake up and jump right back on that ol' water buffalo and show him who's the boss.

I support the Canucks response to this 100 percent and fully expect to see Petey back in there Tuesday in Pittsburgh.
Its wonderful how concussions help you focus on what really matters.;)

PredsForPresidents

Dec 31, 2014
British Columbia
I've had multiple concussions, one which resulted in long-term migraines, and another that resulted in bed riddening vertigo which sparks up whenever it feels like it. Both of those times I went lights out, but I was far enough away from the play that nobody saw me and I regained consciousness and kept playing. The first time I started zoning out and I showed all the signs. The second time I didn't notice until I couldn't move from one spot the next morning.
No two concussions are the same and should be treated on a case to case basis. However, on principle, there should be a one week "wait and see" period if there's any suspicion. I don't like the sound of Pettersson being put on the plane, but if he feels absolutely normal, why not? (I checked the 4th box don't worry)

Reactions: rypper and pgj98m3

pgj98m3

Jan 8, 2012
I've had multiple concussions, one which resulted in long-term migraines, and another that resulted in bed riddening vertigo which sparks up whenever it feels like it. Both of those times I went lights out, but I was far enough away from the play that nobody saw me and I regained consciousness and kept playing. The first time I started zoning out and I showed all the signs. The second time I didn't notice until I couldn't move from one spot the next morning.
No two concussions are the same and should be treated on a case to case basis. However, on principle, there should be a one week "wait and see" period if there's any suspicion. I don't like the sound of Pettersson being put on the plane, but if he feels absolutely normal, why not? (I checked the 4th box don't worry)
I suggest that this be a sticky to help people understand how serious this issue is.....

IMPACT OF AIR FLIGHT ON GAMES MISSED POST CONCUSSION IN NHL PLAYERS

Reactions: Megaterio Llamas

Mr. Canucklehead

Kitimat Canuck
Dec 14, 2002
Kitimat, BC
Minor hockey and youth soccer coach for 5 years now, had to take concussion awareness training for both. Had our first instance of a child getting concussed last year - freak play where he tripped over himself a few feet from the boards and bonked his head.

Protocol in youth sports is there’s no messing around. If a kid hits his head, we are to pull the plug immediately. Doesn’t matter if the kid and the kids family thinks it’s fine, that’s supposed to be the end of their game.

In the case of the child I mentioned above, his symptoms didn’t present until a few hours after the incident. I’ve mentioned before that concussions are insidious like that, which makes it hard to tell a player and their family that sorry, they’re done for th day.

The return to play protocol is a long one, too. Definitely feels longer than it is in professional sports. The other thing we learn is that there’s virtually no helmet apparatus that can truly safe guard vs a concussion. Helmets are to prevent trauma to the skull itself - but the brain will still rattle inside of it on a significant enough impact.

Reactions: pgj98m3

PuckMunchkin

Very Nice, Very Evil!
Dec 13, 2006
Lapland
Its called a noncussion and nobody can tell. Literally nobody can just tell in any way shape or form ever. This is what I've learned here.

m9

m9
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2010
I've had numerous concussions from various sports and other activities over a 20 year span.

The one that ended up giving me the most problems was the one that looked like nothing if you were watching the game. Elbow to the head and ended up with issues for around 6+ months. Knocked me off my feet but didn't blackout. I've had other ones that looked horrible but I felt completely fine the next day and had no issues.

This is why if EP is cleared to play by our doctors, I don't have an issue with it. Unless you know what he is going through, you have no idea if he should be playing or not and there's no way you can tell by watching the play or seeing him skate off wobbly.

I think there is limited understanding in terms of head injuries by hockey fans in general. If you go and watch the LA Rams game from last week (vs the Seahawks), Brandin Cooks was knocked out and judging by the reactions in here on EP, people would want him shut down for the season. He was back playing within a week. This is a guy who was also knocked out in the Super Bowl, so there is a history there, yet he was still able to make it back within a week. Every situation is different.

I appreciate doctors who post about their treatment of head blows/concussions, but it is important to remember that you are dealing with the percentage of people who feel injured enough to go to the doctor in the first place. Most times someone gets hit in the head, they don't require any further treatment. Whether or not they should go to the doctor is another issue, but in general you are dealing with the most severe versions of head injuries. So while maybe a high percentage of people that see you have a concussion that needs treatment, it is still a very small percentage when looking at the entire picture.

Reactions: Nomobo

RobertKron

Sep 1, 2007
Minor hockey and youth soccer coach for 5 years now, had to take concussion awareness training for both. Had our first instance of a child getting concussed last year - freak play where he tripped over himself a few feet from the boards and bonked his head.

Protocol in youth sports is there’s no messing around. If a kid hits his head, we are to pull the plug immediately. Doesn’t matter if the kid and the kids family thinks it’s fine, that’s supposed to be the end of their game.

In the case of the child I mentioned above, his symptoms didn’t present until a few hours after the incident. I’ve mentioned before that concussions are insidious like that, which makes it hard to tell a player and their family that sorry, they’re done for th day.

The return to play protocol is a long one, too. Definitely feels longer than it is in professional sports. The other thing we learn is that there’s virtually no helmet apparatus that can truly safe guard vs a concussion. Helmets are to prevent trauma to the skull itself - but the brain will still rattle inside of it on a significant enough impact.

Most significant concussion I ever dealt with wasn't even from an impact to the head. Suffered some pretty good whiplash, and had trouble leaving a dark room for weeks. Took months to recover properly.

Grub

First Line Troll
Jun 30, 2008
B.C
I suffered a concussion before in highschool and it took me a couple of weeks to recover (this is after receiving a crosscheck to the back of the head). The first few days I would get woozy if there were bright lights. With that said after a few weeks I was fine and back to doing regular things. Haven't had any symptoms since then and this was more then 10 years ago.

pgj98m3

Jan 8, 2012
I've had numerous concussions from various sports and other activities over a 20 year span.

The one that ended up giving me the most problems was the one that looked like nothing if you were watching the game. Elbow to the head and ended up with issues for around 6+ months. Knocked me off my feet but didn't blackout. I've had other ones that looked horrible but I felt completely fine the next day and had no issues.

This is why if EP is cleared to play by our doctors, I don't have an issue with it. Unless you know what he is going through, you have no idea if he should be playing or not and there's no way you can tell by watching the play or seeing him skate off wobbly.

I think there is limited understanding in terms of head injuries by hockey fans in general. If you go and watch the LA Rams game from last week (vs the Seahawks), Brandin Cooks was knocked out and judging by the reactions in here on EP, people would want him shut down for the season. He was back playing within a week. This is a guy who was also knocked out in the Super Bowl, so there is a history there, yet he was still able to make it back within a week. Every situation is different.

I appreciate doctors who post about their treatment of head blows/concussions, but it is important to remember that you are dealing with the percentage of people who feel injured enough to go to the doctor in the first place. Most times someone gets hit in the head, they don't require any further treatment. Whether or not they should go to the doctor is another issue, but in general you are dealing with the most severe versions of head injuries. So while maybe a high percentage of people that see you have a concussion that needs treatment, it is still a very small percentage when looking at the entire picture.
There is a limited understanding of concussion by NHL fans. There appears to be deliberate 'ignorance' on the part of the NHL as an organization.
To bring up NFL players who returned after obvious concussions and suggest somehow they were okay is just laughable given the emerging evidence on CTE.
The sports world is helping us understand the significance of these mTBI's in the long term.
There is a reason for the strict protocols applied in youth sports...we are learning that early return is associated with worse long term outcomes.
Why not be conservative with a player who could play for years at a very high level?
If you're okay with Paul Kariya's career trajectory than I can see why you are so blase.

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
Why do you keep referring to a study that references flying in the immediate 4-6 hour period post concussion as referable to this though? It is very confusing because as far as I know, the flight was the next day.
I would expect them to have flown out on Sunday. Think when Gillis was around the sleep doctors recommended flying the next day if you have a day off rather than going right after the game and getting into your hotel after 2am. Better to get a good nights sleep and fly on your off day. Think they also recommend practicing once you arrive at the next city.

m9

m9
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2010
There is a limited understanding of concussion by NHL fans. There appears to be deliberate 'ignorance' on the part of the NHL as an organization.
To bring up NFL players who returned after obvious concussions and suggest somehow they were okay is just laughable given the emerging evidence on CTE.
The sports world is helping us understand the significance of these mTBI's in the long term.
There is a reason for the strict protocols applied in youth sports...we are learning that early return is associated with worse long term outcomes.
Why not be conservative with a player who could play for years at a very high level?
If you're okay with Paul Kariya's career trajectory than I can see why you are so blase.

I'm not blase about concussions - sorry if I gave that impression. I've seen the negative impact that they can have on people's lives - including my own - and it's not fun.

The reason I brought up the play in the NFL as a comparison (along with my own experience) is that it is impossible to look at these plays and know exactly how the player's brain will be impacted. I take issue when someone watches the EP play and makes any sort of definite statement on what the injury is and how long they should be out of the lineup as it's impossible for someone to tell just by watching the game regardless of what their training is.

Reactions: JT Milker

pgj98m3

Jan 8, 2012
Why do you keep referring to a study that references flying in the immediate 4-6 hour period post concussion as referable to this though? It is very confusing because as far as I know, the flight was the next day.
Its the only actual study I could find. I agree they refer to flying 4-6 hours post acute injury. There is lots of anecdotal information out there suggesting that flying while acutely symptomatic can worsen symptoms but this isn't "evidence".
My point is to emphasize the need to exercise caution with any mTBI. If you can point us to any info saying it is safe to fly 6 hours after the acute injury while still symptomatic I would be very happy to read it and post it.
Ultimately I hope we can have an informed discussion.

PuckMunchkin

Very Nice, Very Evil!
Dec 13, 2006
Lapland

Lets not use the NFL as an example of how to treat concussions.

pgj98m3

Jan 8, 2012
I'm not blase about concussions - sorry if I gave that impression. I've seen the negative impact that they can have on people's lives - including my own - and it's not fun.

The reason I brought up the play in the NFL as a comparison (along with my own experience) is that it is impossible to look at these plays and know exactly how the player's brain will be impacted. I take issue when someone watches the EP play and makes any sort of definite statement on what the injury is and how long they should be out of the lineup as it's impossible for someone to tell just by watching the game regardless of what their training is.
I have to respectfully disagree re being able to say he suffered a mTBI...he met all the requirement to make that diagnosis based on our current understanding and protocols. I totally agree that we cannot determine the severity and have always stated that.

Reactions: m9

Tleve

Dec 26, 2005
Its the only actual study I could find. I agree they refer to flying 4-6 hours post acute injury. There is lots of anecdotal information out there suggesting that flying while acutely symptomatic can worsen symptoms but this isn't "evidence".
My point is to emphasize the need to exercise caution with any mTBI. If you can point us to any info saying it is safe to fly 6 hours after the acute injury while still symptomatic I would be very happy to read it and post it.
Ultimately I hope we can have an informed discussion.

In looking today, I have seen lots of information online from neurology clinics, etc, stating that it is okay to fly after a mild concussion (the cabin is pressurised after all) and also some information stating that it may make you feel worse while in the aire (because of the noise, etc), but in my cursory search I did not come across any stating that it is not okay. All that to be said, there do not seem to be any studies referencing the time period you are referring to although in the one study you reference the authors state that that sort of study would be a good idea. Therefore, I think that it is an overreach to state that the Canucks organization was negligent in having him fly when he did.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad