Concussions from puck shots

LeHab

Aug 31, 2005
Montreal lost 3 players this season with concussions from puck shots:

Montoya
Danault
Price

Sounds like a lot but obviously small sample so I'm wondering how prevalent are concussions after getting hit by a puck.

Sojourn

Nov 1, 2006
Seems like it would be more of an issue with goaltenders, and I'd have to think that danger is already there because of their head height and all the contact with bodies, sticks, and pucks.

El Travo

Why are we still here? Just to suffer?
Aug 11, 2015
Breaking News: Getting hit on the head by a hard object travelling faster than a car on a highway can give concussions.

Goalie helmets have come a loooooong way in preventing this, but they aren't perfect.

Danault just straight up got hit by a Chara slapshot.

Reactions: Devonator

Muston Atthews

Bunch of Bangerz
Jul 2, 2009
Toronto, Ontario
Breaking News: Getting hit on the head by a hard object travelling faster than a car on a highway can give concussions.

Goalie helmets have come a loooooong way in preventing this, but they aren't perfect.

Hey asshole, speed up on the highway

LeHab

Aug 31, 2005

I know helmets are not perfect hence I'd like to know how often players get concussions this way.

Reactions: Macbanan

Macbanan

Dec 28, 2013
Uppsala, Sweden
Dont have the numbers to back it up but from my experience maybe 1 in 10 concussions are caused by pucks. The damage they do seems more unpredictable than from hits. From the rangers I know Richter ended his career after getting a concussion and skull fracture from a slapshot.

Zuccarello was also hit a few years back resulting in skull fracture and brain damage. Couldn't talk or move for a few days and even now his speech is at 85%.

Mbraunm

Oct 19, 2016
I know that both Mason and Hutchinson have concussions this year by being hit with a puck.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad