Conacher

corksens

Jul 19, 2005
My issue with Conacher is that is doesn't generate anything on his own.

Seriously his entire shift is spent either forechecking or standing in front of the net. He's not really a part of any play...at least to start.

Tampacuseforever

Nov 3, 2012
My issue with Conacher is that is doesn't generate anything on his own.

Seriously his entire shift is spent either forechecking or standing in front of the net. He's not really a part of any play...at least to start.

He causes havoc but your right he is not generating much on his own. If you remember last year he would generate plenty but was way too risky a player. This year he is trying to learn MacLeans system and instead of carrying the puck and possible turning it over, he is moving it too quick and dumping and chasing. So far it has led to good possession numbers but not great offensive numbers. Remember he is a rookie and he does have the ability to generate if he continued to make costly errors he would have ended up in the press box. Give it some time and I think he will find the correct balance between offense and defense.

Sensinitis

Aug 5, 2012
Good point, he could very well be pulling a Zibanejad for now. Hope he starts handling the puck a bit more soon though.

Tampacuseforever

Nov 3, 2012
Good point, he could very well be pulling a Zibanejad for now. Hope he starts handling the puck a bit more soon though.

I hate when he plays with Neil and he goes stands in front of the net with him :laugh: Hopefully the coaching staff will tell him to start creating in the offensive zone and leave the net crashing to Neil. Conacher is a very raw talent but as I keep saying with his skill, heart, and determination I think he will become areal good player for us.

YNWA14

Onbreekbaar
Dec 29, 2010
Conacher is an awesome player and the type of player that contributes more than he does on the statsheet. Really hope that he gets extended and stays here because he fits in well.

coladin

Sep 18, 2009
I like his desire and compete level. He is going to improve once he finds a center that can get the most out of him. He is one of our only truly quick players.

Holdurbreathe

Jun 22, 2006
Ontario
If he's playing eight minutes a night with Kassian and Grant, I bet he never scores again :laugh:

Therein lies the problem for Conacher, his ice time keeps getting reduced, which suggests MacLean doesn't see him as a complimentary player to any of the Sens centers YET.

While I agree he works hard, skates really well and shows great determination, the reality is he hasn't developed his identity or put his stamp on any of the lines he has played on.

When I had the opportunity to watch Conacher when he played for Norfolk, he was opportunistic, seemed to always find open space in the O-Zone and the puck had a habit of finding him.

Now, while he still uses his speed, he has become stationary in the O-Zone for the most part and parked in front of the net. IMO a job he just isn't physically suited to do 5 on 5.

IMO for Cory to be effective (productive) he must be moving, looking for open ice. Cory drew more penalties in the AHL doing exactly this than he has in the NHL being a pest. He also scored on a consistent basis.

I have no idea what the coaches have asked him to do, but given Cory has been moved down the lineup leads me to believe being the screen isn't what they expect.

Last edited:

Vesa Awesaka

#KeepTheSenate
Jul 4, 2013
Cony needs some more confidence. Doesnt use his shot enough and is playing like a bottom six forward when he has the skill to be a top sixer.

Tampacuseforever

Nov 3, 2012
Therein lies the problem for Conacher, his ice time keeps getting reduced, which suggests MacLean doesn't see him as a complimentary player to any of the Sens centers YET.

While I agree he works hard, skates really well and shows great determination, the reality is he hasn't developed his identity or put his stamp on any of the lines he has played on.

When I had the opportunity to watch Conacher when he played for Norfolk, he was opportunistic, seemed to always find open space in the O-Zone and the puck had a habit of finding him.

Now, while he still uses his speed, he has become stationary in the O-Zone for the most part and parked in front of the net. IMO a job he just isn't physically suited to do 5 on 5.

IMO for Cory to be effective (productive) he must be moving, looking for open ice. Cory drew more penalties in the AHL doing exactly this than he has in the NHL being a pest. He also scored on a consistent basis.

I have no idea what the coaches have asked him to do, but given Cory has been moved down the lineup leads me to believe being the screen isn't what they expect.

Good post You have hit it dead on with this. I think he's fallen into the trap of being way to cautious out there and he isn't doing the things that gave him success. Could just be a confidence thing.

Stylizer1

SENSimillanaire
Jun 12, 2009
Ottabot City

It only took 5 pages for a good assessment of what is the issue. :handclap:

Every week he finds himself moving down the lineup. He started out on the second line and was ineffective. He does a lot of little things good but none of them lead to him getting points and because of his size is replaceable. I would rather have a big guy with wheels who's good on the fore check that a small guy.

John Holmes*

I think Conacher is more a victim of MacLean trying to make a 2nd line that can score than he is playing his way down the lineup.

The fact remains that we have yet to dress our best roster.

Pageau-Zbad-Cony had a lot of success last year.

Tampacuseforever

Nov 3, 2012
I think Conacher is more a victim of MacLean trying to make a 2nd line that can score than he is playing his way down the lineup.

I think your right I am still not convinced he is MacLeans guy, but again why trade for him then ? Anyways way too many pages devoted to a depth player, I would be way more concerned about the performance of our key players and our young defense. Conacher was pretty good last year when playing consistantly with Zibanejad and Silvf that rookie line was our best line for a lot of games near the end of last year.

YNWA14

Onbreekbaar
Dec 29, 2010
I still think Conacher is best used on an offensive line that can hold possession because he's such a pest in front of the net and he works hard on every play.

If Ottawa could acquire someone like Elias to play with Spezza and help him drive possession on the top line something like this would be nice:

Elias - Spezza - Michalek
MacArthur - Turris - Ryan
Conacher - Smith/Pageau - Zibanejad
Greening - Grant/Smith - Neil

Tampacuseforever

Nov 3, 2012
It only took 5 pages for a good assessment of what is the issue. :handclap:

Every week he finds himself moving down the lineup. He started out on the second line and was ineffective. He does a lot of little things good but none of them lead to him getting points and because of his size is replaceable. I would rather have a big guy with wheels who's good on the fore check that a small guy.

I will take great offense to him being ineffective on that second line. He was very good on that line but when he was moved because of Spezza and Ryans lack of chemistry he has found himself being bounced around through no fault of his own. Total the number of different linemates he's had in his short time here, I think you would be surprised at the large number, MacLean has been consistently going with his underperforming veterans and letting guys like Pageau and Conacher be placed in situations where they are unlikely to suceed.

Holdurbreathe

Jun 22, 2006
Ontario

Possibly, however I don't believe anyone can argue the Turris-MacArthur-Ryan line has been very productive since the Ryan addition.

When Conacher did get his opportunity to play with Spezza it didn't alter the fortunes of the line. Of course that maybe an indication of Spezza not being at his best playmaking, but Cory didn't provide a spark either.

I was hoping Cory would get an opportunity tonight with Zibby and Spezza, but from what I read it looks like he will be playing with Kassian and Grant.

IMO if MacLean and his staff can't find a spot for Conacher in the top nine, then he should be sent to Bingo and allowed to play some big minutes and work on the things the coaching staff think he needs.

To play him on the 4th line for 8 - 10 minutes a night with no PK or PP time just doesn't make sense for a 23 year old still developing.

Tampacuseforever

Nov 3, 2012
Possibly, however I don't believe anyone can argue the Turris-MacArthur-Ryan line has been very productive since the Ryan addition.

When Conacher did get his opportunity to play with Spezza it didn't alter the fortunes of the line. Of course that maybe an indication of Spezza not being at his best playmaking, but Cory didn't provide a spark either.

I was hoping Cory would get an opportunity tonight with Zibby and Spezza, but from what I read it looks like he will be playing with Kassian and Grant.

IMO if MacLean and his staff can't find a spot for Conacher in the top nine, then he should be sent to Bingo and allowed to play some big minutes and work on the things the coaching staff think he needs.

To play him on the 4th line for 8 - 10 minutes a night with no PK or PP time just doesn't make sense for a 23 year old still developing.

While I agree Conacher is not waiver exempt. If he's put on waivers he will get picked up by someone. If they can't find a place for him or he's not a MacLean "guy" then they should trade him. That said I can't believe Greening and Neil are playing top nine and Conacher isn't. Weircioch seems to be in the same situation as Conacher both would benefit with a couple weeks in the AHL but it's not possible. MacLean seems very willing to let veterans play there way out of their funks but he seems to have no patience with our young guys.

Holdurbreathe

Jun 22, 2006
Ontario
While I agree Conacher is not waiver exempt. If he's put on waivers he will get picked up by someone. If they can't find a place for him or he's not a MacLean "guy" then they should trade him. That said I can't believe Greening and Neil are playing top nine and Conacher isn't. Weircioch seems to be in the same situation as Conacher both would benefit with a couple weeks in the AHL but it's not possible. MacLean seems very willing to let veterans play there way out of their funks but he seems to have no patience with our young guys.

MacLean seems to be operating on the basis of playing "the devil he knows rather than one he doesn't".

IMO there is no way the Sens should have traded for Conacher if they weren't prepared to face the risks a young 23 year old without waiver exemption may present.

Conacher wasn't a sure top six last year nor was he coming out of training camp this year. What he had shown suggested he had the potential.

So unless Murray had a plan to flip Conacher if the kid didn't produce, his treatment in regards to where he is in the lineup is very surprising.

I could be wrong, but IMO a young player with the potential to be a top six isn't served well by playing with grinders 8-10 minutes a game.

PS just my view on whether or not Cory would be claimed. I doubt it since he would have to remain on the roster of the team claiming him. Given how things have gone for Cory so far, I'm not sure a team would make that commitment specially this early in the season.

harrisb

Oct 6, 2009
If we could spend to the cap then Alfie is still here on spezza's wing, we would have 1 or 2 more veterans for 4m or so each and conacher is on a kid line with zib and possibly pageau. Our budget forces us to put players in unnatural positions too early in their careers.

Tampacuseforever

Nov 3, 2012
MacLean seems to be operating on the basis of playing "the devil he knows rather than one he doesn't".

IMO there is no way the Sens should have traded for Conacher if they weren't prepared to face the risks a young 23 year old without waiver exemption may present.

Conacher wasn't a sure top six last year nor was he coming out of training camp this year. What he had shown suggested he had the potential.

So unless Murray had a plan to flip Conacher if the kid didn't produce, his treatment in regards to where he is in the lineup is very surprising.

I could be wrong, but IMO a young player with the potential to be a top six isn't served well by playing with grinders 8-10 minutes a game.

PS just my view on whether or not Cory would be claimed. I doubt it since he would have to remain on the roster of the team claiming him. Given how things have gone for Cory so far, I'm not sure a team would make that commitment specially this early in the season.

Conacher would be scooped up quick IMHO he is an inexperienced cheap $ player with upside there would be no risk to the team picking him up. If they didn't like him after a tryout they could always waive him themselves. I really think he is going to be a good player I am just questioning whether it will be here or not. I agree with the devil MacLean knows statement but it's poor asset management.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->