Computer Help----CD Burner

SniperHF

Rejecting Reports
Mar 9, 2007
Phoenix
Windows 7 ------------cannot burn cd. It burns dvd and plays cd. Error says "disc is not writable"

How to fix?

My first guess would be the disc itself. If it has already been written to and it's a CD-R you cannot write to it again (mostly). Have you tried another one?

How are you trying to burn, drag and drop via Windows? Or using some other program (media player for example).

CutOnDime97

Too Showman
Mar 29, 2008
z0mTurq_d.jpg

Ambassador Bridge

Apr 19, 2004
I backed up Firefox from my old computer as an export file and created the file as an import file for this computer. The music files are stuck in the cd drive which shows every blank cd as if it is already written. I don't know how to get rid of those files. The folder named "playlist" is greyed out.

PK Cronin

Bailey Fan Club Prez
Feb 11, 2013
I backed up Firefox from my old computer as an export file and created the file as an import file for this computer. The music files are stuck in the cd drive which shows every blank cd as if it is already written. I don't know how to get rid of those files. The folder named "playlist" is greyed out.

I'm confused about how some file related to Firefox has anything to do with burning CD's. :huh:

Hammettf2b

oldmanyellsatcloud.jpg
Jul 9, 2012
So California
can you take some screen shots of what you see

Ambassador Bridge

Apr 19, 2004
Sorry, I don't know how to embed images; I'll try to describe what it looks like.

In "Computer" there are 4 drives.
Drive "E" is the DVD RW drive.
When I insert a blank CD-R into the tray it loads and the drive shows "56 mb remaining, 650 mb used" and the status bar is red. The cd is no longer writable.
If I double-click the drive to open it I see the files that are already supposedly on the cd.
If I click "play" the songs play.
These songs are not on the hard drive of this computer,
The disc is brand new, nothing on it.
The songs were on my old computer.

How can I fix this?

What if I use a CD-RW disc and try to erase or overwrite? I don't have any re-writable discs.

PK Cronin

Bailey Fan Club Prez
Feb 11, 2013
Sorry, I don't know how to embed images; I'll try to describe what it looks like.

When I insert a blank CD-R into the tray it loads and the drive shows "56 mb remaining, 650 mb used" and the status bar is red. The cd is no longer writable.
If I double-click the drive to open it I see the files that are already supposedly on the cd.

How can I fix this?

What if I use a CD-RW disc and try to erase or overwrite? I don't have any re-writable discs.

As far as I know, there isn't a way for songs from your old computer to end up on a brand new CD without you having burned it first.

I'd get new discs and try again. Re-writable CD's would be the way to go, or just use a different type of device to play music.

Hammettf2b

oldmanyellsatcloud.jpg
Jul 9, 2012
So California

How can I fix this?

It sounds like something is on the disc already. Its why you can play music from the disc. The cd is no longer writable because it has been used already. Try again on a brand new disc.

Reactions: ArchAngel55

Ambassador Bridge

Apr 19, 2004
It sounds like something is on the disc already. Its why you can play music from the disc. The cd is no longer writable because it has been used already. Try again on a brand new disc.

All the discs are brand new, never used. ( Memorex, Maxell) . I can burn with CD-RW but not CD-R. I can burn dvds no problem. Looks like I'll just be using re-writable discs from now on.

But the problem still bugs me.

Thanks for all the suggestions.

ArchAngel55

Nov 16, 2008
Philadelphia, Pa
Not sure if it helps but open File Explorer and go to the folder that the files you want to copy are in. Highlight them and right click on them. Click on Send To and select your burner drive. See if that helps instead of the program you are using.

Ambassador Bridge

Apr 19, 2004
Not sure if it helps but open File Explorer and go to the folder that the files you want to copy are in. Highlight them and right click on them. Click on Send To and select your burner drive. See if that helps instead of the program you are using.

I tried this. When I insert a blank cd it shows that it is full and cannot be written.

Ambassador Bridge

Apr 19, 2004
If I uninstall the drive in "device manager" and reboot the computer will the system recognize the hardware and automatically install it?

crazychimp

Jun 24, 2014
Vancouver
I assume you're burning music to the CD, try Windows Media Player instead. In the "Burn" tab there should be a drop down menu (with a check mark) where you can select whether you want o burn a "Audio CD" or a "Data CD or DVD".

Ambassador Bridge

Apr 19, 2004
I assume you're burning music to the CD, try Windows Media Player instead. In the "Burn" tab there should be a drop down menu (with a check mark) where you can select whether you want o burn a "Audio CD" or a "Data CD or DVD".

There are no music files on the computer to burn.

The files in the cd drive are ghost files, phantom files. I can't get rid of them. I only see them when I insert a blank cd into the drive. There is no "delete" option or "erase".

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad