Speculation: Compliance Buyouts

Yung Rotini

6 Summers
May 18, 2013
Penticton, BC
The deadline for compliance buyouts is July 1st, so we may see an increase in teams using them as the deadline approaches.

Will the Flames use any of theirs? I feel like the only one that should be used is on O'Brien.

Just trying to stir up some offseason discussion in this quite dead forum as of late.

Anglesmith

Setting up the play?
Sep 17, 2012
Victoria
If I was ownership, I'd say no to any and all potential buy-outs. There's really no incentive for them to just throw away money like that during a rebuild.

Mr Lebowski

Go Flames
Feb 18, 2014
Toronto
Candidates are

SOB, D.Jones, Wideman

We don't really have any too bad contracts but we shouldn't use any compliance buyouts

SOB is a good leader in Adirondack (need to learn how to spell that or make a shorter name like Abby for Abbotsford) and he has one year left. And only 2mil hit. Maybe non compliance but nonreason to waste a compliance huyout on him. Jones can sit inthe presser if need be but he was physical this year and he helps us make the floor. Wideman can still be moved for value, don't see where a compliance buyout is needed unless we tet someone like Clarkson from Toronto. Clarkson + pick or prospect for nohing and then buy out Clarkson or keep him until we need capmspace or if he's just taking up space for younger players then buy him out.

Yung Rotini

6 Summers
May 18, 2013
Penticton, BC
Candidates are

SOB, D.Jones, Wideman

We don't really have any too bad contracts but we shouldn't use any compliance buyouts

SOB is a good leader in Adirondack (need to learn how to spell that or make a shorter name like Abby for Abbotsford) and he has one year left. And only 2mil hit. Maybe non compliance but nonreason to waste a compliance huyout on him. Jones can sit inthe presser if need be but he was physical this year and he helps us make the floor. Wideman can still be moved for value, don't see where a compliance buyout is needed unless we tet someone like Clarkson from Toronto. Clarkson + pick or prospect for nohing and then buy out Clarkson or keep him until we need capmspace or if he's just taking up space for younger players then buy him out.

Trade for Clarkson and then use a compliance buyout on him :sarcasm:

Johnny Hoxville

The Return of a Legend
Jul 15, 2006
Calgary
Another interesting question is, who else around the NHL could be bought out and would the Flames be in the market for those guys. It was an interesting point made about Havlat in the other thread. Maybe the Flames do the Sharks a solid, and take Havlat for a pick or prospect and save the Sharks from buying him out.

Mr Lebowski

Go Flames
Feb 18, 2014
Toronto
Another interesting question is, who else around the NHL could be bought out and would the Flames be in the market for those guys. It was an interesting point made about Havlat in the other thread. Maybe the Flames do the Sharks a solid, and take Havlat for a pick or prospect and save the Sharks from buying him out.

That was my point with Clarkson

Yung Rotini

6 Summers
May 18, 2013
Penticton, BC
That was my point with Clarkson

Personally i'd rather have Havlat. Sure, the Flames are trying to be "truculent" but there needs to be some skill too. If Havlat can stay healthy he'll be much more productive than Clarkson.
Also Havlat's contract isn't nearly as bad with less of a cap hit and shorter term.

May 27, 2012
Earth
Clarkson cannot be bought out with a compliance buyout...he signed his contract after the new CBA. Only those who signed before are eligible for the compliance buyout.

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
Yeah I know
then why would you want to buyout a contract who's cap ramifications would continue after we are all dead and gone?

the only candidate for the Flames is SOB and it would not be a compliance buyout.

@Gillies, There is a better chance you get bought out than Wideman. Even Jones is extremely unlikely in our cap situation.

Ace Rimmer

Stoke me a clipper.
I don't think the Flames buy anyone out - it's not like they need the cap space. Maybe use the CBO on SOB - frees up a million worth of cap space next year, but it's not needed.

I wouldn't be surprised to see them go a step further and take on players from other teams with questionable contracts to help out (at a price).

Buying out Jones might make sense if he doesn't fit into the team's long term (2015-16) plans, I suppose.

Buying out Wideman makes no sense whatsoever.

BVicious

Jun 15, 2012
Wideman traded at 50% retention would fetch some value in a package out east.

That is the only realistic option I see the new GM using to make an impact right away without losing youth, or creating a new hole.

Feb 23, 2014
Wideman traded at 50% retention would fetch some value in a package out east.

That is the only realistic option I see the new GM using to make an impact right away without losing youth, or creating a new hole.

Wideman (50% retained salary) to Det for 15th overall pick......

Ground work for a trade with those two being the central pieces?

CraigsList

In Conroy We Trust
Apr 22, 2014
USA
I'd give Wideman and D. Jones another year before we think of buying them out. Hopefully Jones can get back to being a 15, 20 goal scorer and Wideman just needs to avoid injury and work on his defense.

Unlimited Chequing

Christian Yellow
Jan 29, 2009
Calgary, Alberta
We don't need to waste our compliance buyouts on either of these two (or anyone on our team). Neither of these contracts are impossible to move, long term, nor are they keeping us from moving ahead especially since we are nowhere near the cap.

If we wasted a compliance buyout on a $2M cap hit with 1 year left in SOB, we'd be laughed at. Organizations spend that kind of money on prospects that may or not may not even make it to the big team.

May 27, 2012
Earth
It's not like we don't need Wideman's 5.25 million. Who are we gonna spend it on? After this season he has 3 years left. By then we will maybe be in playoffs and we won' t have to worry about Wideman.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad