Compliance Buyouts

domaug*

Nov 27, 2011
Archbald, PA
Have we used them? Can we still use them? If so, who would make the most sense and how long do we have to use them?

no, the Pens have not used any yet

yes the Pens can use them up until the next offseason i believe

Glass or Dupuis, IMO, make the most sense (although neither will happen)

SaintRon

Mar 15, 2003
Visit site
So we could buyout a high paid player like Letang and his entire salary is off the books? Not that I would want to see that happen, but I would guess the goal of a buyout is clearing the most cash off the roster with one swipe. Buying out a low dollar player wouldn't buy much, correct?

BrookswasHere44

Jun 22, 2009
So we could buyout a high paid player like Letang and his entire salary is off the books? Not that I would want to see that happen, but I would guess the goal of a buyout is clearing the most cash off the roster with one swipe. Buying out a low dollar player wouldn't buy much, correct?

I'm pretty sure that's NOT correct...only available for contracts signed before lockout

BrunoPuntzJones

Biscuit Scorer
Apr 17, 2012
Washington, DC
no, the Pens have not used any yet

yes the Pens can use them up until the next offseason i believe

Glass or Dupuis, IMO, make the most sense (although neither will happen)

They can only be used this offseason, I believe. Glass' deal will have expired by then. Dupuis re-signed after the lockout so he's ineligible.

66-30-33

Jan 24, 2006
Victoria, BC
His in-season performance makes him a great trade candidate. Don't give him up for nothing.

This. A bubble team will give us a nice return and hope he is different with a new change of scenery. We most likely will not use a buyout, probably because the owners will be too cheap.

Ogrezilla

Nerf Herder
Jul 5, 2009
Pittsburgh
Fleury, Neal, Martin and Crosby are the only players eligible for the compliance buyouts. Everyone else has too low of a cap hit, has an expiring contract or was signed after the new CBA went into effect.

There is no reason to buy out any of those players. Neal, Martin and Crosby are obvious, and Fleury could be traded to a non-playoff team for something even if he falls apart again.

radapex

Sep 21, 2012
Canada, Eh
His in-season performance makes him a great trade candidate. Don't give him up for nothing.

The buyout period makes it tricky because it ends before the start of free agency. I don't see Shero buying Fleury out unless he's got another goalie lined up. There's just no way he goes into next season with Zatkoff as the potential #1.

66-30-33

Jan 24, 2006
Victoria, BC
can't see any candidate available. MAF has one more year of his contract...

Miller, Halak, Hiller. Any goalie would rack up wins with this team, Zatkoff is 8-2-1. If Fleury bombs ANY goalie in the NHL would do a MUCH better job then Fleury, except maybe Zatkoff because they are both the same type of goalies...regular season winners, playoff chokers.

Ogrezilla

Nerf Herder
Jul 5, 2009
Pittsburgh
Miller, Halak, Hiller. Any goalie would rack up wins with this team, Zatkoff is 8-2-1. If Fleury bombs ANY goalie in the NHL would do a MUCH better job then Fleury, except maybe Zatkoff because they are both the same type of goalies...regular season winners, playoff chokers.

and if Hiller re-signs, Fasth or Andersen will be available for trade.

Human

cynic
Jan 22, 2011
Bandwagon

I guess I have been misunderstood. I'm all for getting rid of MAF, but I don't think they need to use a buyout for that. and I'm all for getting one of Miller or Hiller at the deadline if possible. I don't believe MAF deserves one more chance in the playoffs.

edit: don't want any part of Halak. he seems to be MAF light...

Skk82

Mar 30, 2004
Arlington, VA
This. A bubble team will give us a nice return and hope he is different with a new change of scenery. We most likely will not use a buyout, probably because the owners will be too cheap.

Too cheap? They've exceed the upper limit of the salary cap in portions of 2011, 2012, 2013 and today due to LTIR exemptions. Pretty much the opposite of cheap to take on additional salary for no return (unless it helps boost the team into another round of the playoffs).

Big McLargehuge

Fragile Traveler
May 9, 2002
S. Pasadena, CA
Others have gone over the eligible players, so Fleury is the only guy who has a chance of being compliance bought-out...but that would require another epic playoff disappearing act to happen.

radapex

Sep 21, 2012
Canada, Eh
Others have gone over the eligible players, so Fleury is the only guy who has a chance of being compliance bought-out...but that would require another epic playoff disappearing act to happen.

A Fleury buyout would be much less surprising if not for the time frame of the buyout period. The buyout period starts on the later of June 15 or 2 days after the Stanley Cup Final ends and runs through June 30.

Given Shero's averseness to uncertainty, he'd basically have to have a new starter ready to sign at noon on July 1 before he'd buy Fleury out. It's entirely possible that if Fleury were bought out, he'd be the best goalie on the market - which obviously wouldn't help the Pens if they were looking for a replacement in free agency.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad