Speculation: Compliance Buyouts - Who should the Leafs use one on?

HoweHullOrr

Oct 3, 2013
Sorry, I do get it, and also know how to effectively communicate, that which I think.

If you intend to say something, use words to effectively do so.

If your opinion is the Leafs are too soft, say it directly. They need more grit for sure, but they don't need to get rid of all of the talent to do so... one, maybe two bodies changes everything. That, and the young guys need to mature, and learn the game. We started to see some of that with Matty this year, and Nylander as well.

Why would anyone want to do that? Can't think of any reasons for using things like sentences, paragraphs, use of english language "articles", etc. ;)

Reactions: Fogelhund

HoweHullOrr

Oct 3, 2013
When they first introduced the cap, didn't they reduce salaries by a %.
Could be a route they will go.

Yeah it was like 30%, and we'd need something like that here, just not to that degree.

But I'm guessing there's nothing about this is the CBA. Could be messy.

This wouldn't surprise me.

Ya, I'd surprised if a compliance buyout would be sufficient to address the situation. Some of the other ideas being thrown out would be big changes to the current CBA, and have to wonder if they'd receive support from the majority of owners.

JT AM da real deal

Oct 4, 2018
Trade acquire a 1st round pick in order to buy out someone else's. Kind of like what we were forced into with Marleau
Yes great idea. Trade for Bobby Ryan. A guaranteed lottery ball pick 2020 1st rounder of their 2 lotteries AND 2 of their 5 2020 2nd rounders. then buy out Ryan and he can retire back home in Detroit. Then we would have a top end 1st rounder and 3 2nd rounders or 4 total picks who could be NHLers.

Reactions: Fogelhund

JT AM da real deal

Oct 4, 2018
Trade acquire a 1st round pick in order to buy out someone else's. Kind of like what we were forced into with Marleau
Yes great idea. Trade for Bobby Ryan. A guaranteed lottery ball pick 2020 1st rounder of their 2 lotteries AND 2 of their 5 2020 2nd rounders. then buy out Ryan and he can retire back home in Detroit. Then we would have a top end 1st rounder and 3 2nd rounders or 4 total picks who could be NHLers.

JT AM da real deal

Oct 4, 2018
ottawa has 3 1st rounders in 2020. 2 of which are lottery ball picks.
ottawa has 4 2nd rounders in 2020.
they know this is da year to fill a roster given 2 to 3 round NHL depth in this 2020 draft.
Ottawa owner does not want to keep paying Bobby Ryan for 2 more years at 7M+ per and has been trying to unload him past 2 years without success.
Leafs have hundreds of millions of $$$. Leafs have lost their 2020 1st rounder due to Marleau.
So assuming this 1 per team NEW buyout comes with NO CAP impact only $$$ then it is a way to use our main advantage $$$ to get back a 1st rounder.
Now a mid level 1st rounder is worth 6.25M CAP space for 1 year ie Marleau.
So I am proposing for 2 years gets us a lottery ball 1st rounder plus 2 2nd rounders in return. I'd rather go for 2 2nds in 2020 than a 1st rounder in 2021 just because of depth of prospects in 2021 is weaker and the faster we can replenish da better.

tmlms13

Apr 11, 2012
Waterloo, Ontario
There is a big difference though. Carolina took advantage of how desperate the Leafs were. Ottawa is much less desperate to unload so the price might be lower. Similar but different situation. I'd be happy with a high 2nd. 33-35.... the Leafs pick they were expecting to be 26 -31. Unfortunate set of circumstances put it in the teens.

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN
There is a big difference though. Carolina took advantage of how desperate the Leafs were. Ottawa is much less desperate to unload so the price might be lower. Similar but different situation. I'd be happy with a high 2nd. 33-35.... the Leafs pick they were expecting to be 26 -31. Unfortunate set of circumstances put it in the teens.

A cheap owner may want to offload some of the longer term bigger salary guys though

Legion34

Jan 24, 2006

if the league loses a billion dollars this year. The sens are WAY more desperate than the leafs have ever been. Gretzky was traded for money. Not cap space.

15 million in savings is a big deal. I don’t think it’s top 5 pick, but NYI 1st and ottawa 2 is fair.

or they offer something with the hit.

Big Muddy

Dec 15, 2019

I'd guess Ottawa will hang on to Ryan now. Some time has passed since the time they were trying to move Ryan & EK.

Their roster next year will have a heavy load of rookies and young players. They need to meet cap, & Ryan's salary will help, as it has over the last couple of years, so there's that. They have plenty of cap space - only $42 m committed in salaries for next season. The Senator's challenge will be meeting the league minimum, so I suspect they'll add 2 or 3 vets on short term contracts like they did last year e.g., Anisimov, Ennis, Namestnikov.

Can't see them giving up a potential top five pick when they've embarked on a (well publicized) rebuild. That would make zero sense.

And Bobby Ryan is from New Jersey.

Last edited:

JT AM da real deal

Oct 4, 2018
I'd guess Ottawa will hang on to Ryan now. Some time has passed since the time they were trying to move Ryan & EK.

Their roster next year will have a heavy load of rookies and young players. They need to meet cap, & Ryan's salary will help, as it has over the last couple of years, so there's that. They have plenty of cap space - only $42 m committed in salaries for next season. The Senator's challenge will be meeting the league minimum, so I suspect they'll add 2 or 3 vets on short term contracts like they did last year e.g., Anisimov, Ennis, Namestnikov.

Can't see them giving up a potential top five pick when they've embarked on a (well publicized) rebuild. That would make zero sense.

And Bobby Ryan is from New Jersey.
Yeah you are probably right. Don't know much about Bobby but I do remember seeing him play a game with Compuware in Detroit when I was there for a tournament for one of my younger kids. and I remember people telling me he was the real thing. and when I watched him he could really drive da net. and had skill. anywho was thinking of a guy we could pick up to gain ourselves a lottery ball pick next year.

Big Muddy

Dec 15, 2019
Yeah you are probably right. Don't know much about Bobby but I do remember seeing him play a game with Compuware in Detroit when I was there for a tournament for one of my younger kids. and I remember people telling me he was the real thing. and when I watched him he could really drive da net. and had skill. anywho was thinking of a guy we could pick up to gain ourselves a lottery ball pick next year.
Ryan is from Cherry Hill, NJ which is actually a suburb of Philadelphia.

Bobby Ryan - Wikipedia

Last edited:

JT AM da real deal

Oct 4, 2018
Ryan is from Cherry Hill, NJ which is actually a suburb of Philadelphia.
I don't know where he is from. I remember talking briefly in dressing room area to his coach on Detroit Compuware at a tournament when he was still a kid. So he must have moved to Detroit at some point as I don't think kids are commuting.

Legion34

Jan 24, 2006
I don't know where he is from. I remember talking briefly in dressing room area to his coach on Detroit Compuware at a tournament when he was still a kid. So he must have moved to Detroit at some point as I don't think kids are commuting.

he moved all over. His dad was wanted by police if I recall

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad