Speculation: Compliance Buyouts - Who should the Leafs use one on?

IPS

Sep 28, 2017
It's insane. These horrible takes about Tavares are too much.

So because he's not a fast skater it's certain he's going to decline rapidly? What about guys like Pavelski and Zetterberg? They were always slow skaters and they remained great players well into their 30's. Those are just 2 of many examples.

Last edited by a moderator:

Legion34

Jan 24, 2006
From what I can tell.

1.) players made about 2.5 billion in salaries this year. Therefore about 350 million is in escrow.

2.) this means that IF the league can’t get back in to make money. The NHL owners can sustain 700ish million with full escrow.

the players will want to do as much as they can to make as much back.

3.) teams have already committed 2 billion dollars to contracts next year. That means about 65’million in caps in each team.

4.) there are about 200-250 players who are legit players without NHL contracts. Adding buyouts would mean about 20-30 more.

The buyout thing makes no sense. The most likely scenario is.

1.) claw as much as you can back
2.) go with the min projected cap with NO escalator (84 ish?)
3.) if there are losses more than 700 million. The players will have to pay back over the remainder of their contracts.

Fogelhund

Sep 15, 2007
It wouldn't shock me, if they decided to prorate profitability, based on projections, and what the season was on pace for, before this happened. They can claim that this was a one time event, and that it shouldn't affect their profitability moving forward (although it likely will, as we head to recession/depression). It's possibly the last rise in cap for the next few years, and helps with teams planning, and of course the PA wouldn't object.

1specter

Sep 27, 2016
For me, it would be John Tavares. Sidestep that looming drop off amidst uncertain economic times and live to spend another day.

Also, Tavares only has $45 left on his deal thanks to two years of intense bonus money payouts at about $32 million for 1.75 seasons of service, so we're hardly doing him dirty. He will likely be able tot make up the $45 million else where and we can restock the roster.

As much as I don't like Marner at the moment, he has his whole career ahead of him. Matthews is untouchable and the rest are not big enough cap dumps to make it worthwhile.
This is an awful take. HF never ceases to amaze me, people really out here suggesting to buy out John f***ing Tavares LOL.

LeafsOHLRangers98

Jun 13, 2017
All good points.
I call them bad contracts if it keeps the Leafs from re signing
Clifford/Mik/Spezza.
I would rather move some of the guys I mentioned than lose Clifford etc...
Marner is very good.
No doubt.
He also seems to be the guy who gets us a young stud DMan and a big mean defensive F.
Both of which I think we need.
I think a 1-2 year deal for Mik at low value works best fot both sides. He can hit FA and cash in when the time comes, and we get two more years of hopefully above average to very good production from him. At which point you hope Robertson is in your top 6 full time.

Clifford and Spezza will be cheap. I think both are back regardless of what we do with the other guys.

Egghead1999

Nov 9, 2007
How many team(s) have bad contract? if not many, they will play around the cap issue instead.

BrainyBomber

Apr 1, 2018
This JT speculation is completely bonkers.

Dubas already got rid of the bad contracts like Zaitsev and Marleau.

Just use it to get futures for someone else's deadbeat.

We can they swoop like vultures and sign another Spezza Ennis type for the league minimum since we are attractive now.

FraumBallard

Dec 9, 2018
Our players must work real hard to somehow be 5'2 and 120 lbs and still in the playoff picture. Props to our players!
You said it.
Still in the playoff picture.
After 20 playoff games in 3 years under Babcock.
Says everything you need to know.
We are life and death for the playoffs but nothing to see here.
Nothing but horrible roster construction.

FraumBallard

Dec 9, 2018
I think a 1-2 year deal for Mik at low value works best fot both sides. He can hit FA and cash in when the time comes, and we get two more years of hopefully above average to very good production from him. At which point you hope Robertson is in your top 6 full time.

Clifford and Spezza will be cheap. I think both are back regardless of what we do with the other guys.
Solid take.
Makes sense.
I hope You're right.

ULF_55

Feb 27, 2002
Mountain Standard Ti
Visit site
No one knows what the Cap will be.

Perhaps the NHLPA and Owners will agree to across the board pay cuts for 2020-2021 season if it launches.

That would eliminate any need to execute compliance buy-out.

If they base the Cap on actuals, something has to give, HRR might only support a $75 million Cap, so you can't retain all players if you are over the Cap.
Leafs would already be over a $75mm Cap, with 16 players under contract.

Under contract Leafs have:
8 forwards (+ 1 on LTIR not included in the 76 million)
6 defenders (Rielly, Muzzin, Holl, Sandin, Rosen, Marincin)
2 goalies

COVID-19 impact going forward?
Australia was told they're closing up for 6 months, nothing has been said in North America like that, but ...

What Mess has suggested makes a lot of sense, they'll play with a similar Cap hit they went with this year and then claw back a huge amount in escrow, effectively reducing everyone's pay to the amount that HRR supports.

nuck

Schrodingers Cat
Aug 18, 2005
How much you wanna bet these same people suggesting buying out Tavares would be bitching about lacking a top-6 center next year?

Remember when we had Boz and concussed Grabo as the 1-2? The Leafs were in a bidding war to get Richards before his game fell off a cliff.

Reactions: Legion34 and Ciao

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
What Mess has suggested makes a lot of sense, they'll play with a similar Cap hit they went with this year and then claw back a huge amount in escrow, effectively reducing everyone's pay to the amount that HRR supports.

Ciao

Jul 15, 2010
Toronto
How much you wanna bet these same people suggesting buying out Tavares would be bitching about lacking a top-6 center next year?

Remember when we had Boz and concussed Grabo as the 1-2? The Leafs were in a bidding war to get Richards before his game fell off a cliff.

And then there was the Peter Holland era when the Leafs were short of centres -- Leafs Nation waiting with bated breath to see if this would be the Messiah.

If the Leafs were to stupidly buy out Tavares and Matthews goes down, what then?

FraumBallard

Dec 9, 2018
Average size of the 2019-20 Toronto Maple Leafs is 6'1", 200lbs.... not all that different than it has been for years.... but enjoy your completely false narrative, based on fantasy.
You don't get it.
Sorry.
They all play like they are 5'2" 120 lbs.
Engvall plays like a girl for god sakes.
6'1" 200 lbs my ass.
More Muzzin.
More Clifford.
More Hyman.
Get rid of the girly boys.
You know who they are.
The Dubas Faves.
A false narrative would be saying the Leafs Avg height and weight mean anything.
Everyone knows they are soft as butter.

Ha.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: JT AM da real deal

JT AM da real deal

Oct 4, 2018
You don't get it.
Sorry.
They all play like they are 5'2" 120 lbs.
Engvall plays like a girl for god sakes.
6'1" 200 lbs my ass.
More Muzzin.
More Clifford.
More Hyman.
Get rid of the girly boys.
You know who they are.
The Dubas Faves.
A false narrative would be saying the Leafs Avg height and weight mean anything.
Everyone knows they are soft as butter.
You're spreading fake news.
Ha.
Most fans really don't get it. But it is not only a function of your size and weight ie Clark, Domi and Killer all pretty small men. Those 3 were very strong but lacked height and weight. I have always thought the key was your core strength and edge balance. Of course heart to go to war is required too. Not everybody has it. When you go into a fight - fight for your life but be prepared to die. I always felt the best warriors I went up against were like that. If you aren't prepared to die then don't go to war.

ULF_55

Feb 27, 2002
Mountain Standard Ti
Visit site
And then there was the Peter Holland era when the Leafs were short of centres -- Leafs Nation waiting with bated breath to see if this would be the Messiah.

If the Leafs were to stupidly buy out Tavares and Matthews goes down, what then?

If the Leafs don't have a Cap issue they don't have to buy-out anyone.

If the league sets the Cap to HRR, they could already be over the Cap, with 16 players on their Cap now, with several other teams.

The exercise wasn't who do you want to Compliance, but who would you have to compliance?

FraumBallard

Dec 9, 2018
Most fans really don't get it. But it is not only a function of your size and weight ie Clark, Domi and Killer all pretty small men. Those 3 were very strong but lacked height and weight. I have always thought the key was your core strength and edge balance. Of course heart to go to war is required too. Not everybody has it. When you go into a fight - fight for your life but be prepared to die. I always felt the best warriors I went up against were like that. If you aren't prepared to die then don't go to war.
Yeah.
I Like.
Great post.
When I played a long time ago it was serious business.
For keeps.
Now it seems it's all fancy back passes and how fast you are.
JT is a prime example of what hockey used to be like.
Work hard.
Don't showboat.
Lead by example.
Not the fastest skater but a great pro who does everything well.

1specter

Sep 27, 2016
If the Leafs don't have a Cap issue they don't have to buy-out anyone.

If the league sets the Cap to HRR, they could already be over the Cap, with 16 players on their Cap now, with several other teams.

The exercise wasn't who do you want to Compliance, but who would you have to compliance?
And I believe either way, the answer is not John Tavares. You don't buy out PPG centres who can score 35+ goals a year.

Legion34

Jan 24, 2006
No one knows what the Cap will be.

Perhaps the NHLPA and Owners will agree to across the board pay cuts for 2020-2021 season if it launches.

That would eliminate any need to execute compliance buy-out.

If they base the Cap on actuals, something has to give, HRR might only support a $75 million Cap, so you can't retain all players if you are over the Cap.
Leafs would already be over a $75mm Cap, with 16 players under contract.

Under contract Leafs have:
8 forwards (+ 1 on LTIR not included in the 76 million)
6 defenders (Rielly, Muzzin, Holl, Sandin, Rosen, Marincin)
2 goalies

COVID-19 impact going forward?
Australia was told they're closing up for 6 months, nothing has been said in North America like that, but ...

right now there are over 2 billion dollars in committed money to contracts. There are 13 teams that have 71 million or more in cap already committed.

there are over 200 legitimate free agents this year. Plus buyouts now? It can’t happen like that. The system will collapse.

IF it did. Then the leafs would still make out like bandits. How many players would sign for long term deals on low cap when the big deals are coming for TV. How many would sign with escrow eating up money.

cheap 1 year deals would be here. Play at home for a year close to family and decide.

plus buyouts. A team that makes money is always
Going to have an advantage in times like these

ULF_55

Feb 27, 2002
Mountain Standard Ti
Visit site
right now there are over 2 billion dollars in committed money to contracts. There are 13 teams that have 71 million or more in cap already committed.

there are over 200 legitimate free agents this year. Plus buyouts now? It can’t happen like that. The system will collapse.

IIRC there have been 2 rounds of compliance buyouts right?

gotta run ...

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->