OT: Completely OT (Some Obscene Number+1)

Status
Not open for further replies.

HunterSThompson

[}=[][][][][]
Jun 19, 2007
Washington, DC
Did I say it was?

I guess I could frame my point by saying it's "golf's fault" that I find no motivation to attempt to improve at golf.

Golf is similar to gambling to me. It is all about mindset. It doesn't matter how good or bad you are, but if you only approach it as entertainment all will be fine.

Sure you may suffer through a multitude of bad shots or crappy hands, but that one long putt or double black jack after splitting aces makes it all worth it.

Hivemind

We're Touched
Oct 8, 2010
Philadelphia
I love gambling where I have a say in the outcome, even if the odds are still against me. I find little joy in slots, roulette, or craps (aside of winning), but stuff like blackjack, or better yet, poker, I tend to enjoy regardless of the outcome.

HunterSThompson

[}=[][][][][]
Jun 19, 2007
Washington, DC
I love gambling where I have a say in the outcome, even if the odds are still against me. I find little joy in slots, roulette, or craps (aside of winning), but stuff like blackjack, or better yet, poker, I tend to enjoy regardless of the outcome.

So think of golf like blackjack. The course is the house, and other players are other players. You are never going to beat the house in the long run, but you can certainly win small battles in some situations that make losing a hundred dollars worth it.

usiel

Where wolf’s ears are, wolf’s teeth are near.
Sponsor
Jul 29, 2002
Klendathu
www.myspace.com
My only exposure to golf was a few balls at a driving range. My takeway was that a golf swing feels completely alien. I have no doubt the amount of skill it takes but possesses below zero interest for me personally. It is below Jai alai as something I would watch.

Devil Dancer

Jan 21, 2006
My only exposure to golf was a few balls at a driving range. My takeway was that a golf swing feels completely alien. I have no doubt the amount of skill it takes but possesses below zero interest for me personally. It is below Jai alai as something I would watch.

Funny, I had the opposite experience. It felt natural to me almost right away.

Once my hockey game tails off/I blow out a knee or something, I plan to start playing on a regular basis.

nyrpassion

Vetted.
Mar 10, 2008
Ottawa
****ing a, went golfing today by myself and ended up playing with this one dude. He was ridiculous, he played with only irons to get better at them, tee'ed off with a 4 iron almost as far as my driver. I told him to pull out the driver at one hole, he drove the ****ing green haha.

All in all, awesome experience, he gave me so many pointers. Ended up shooting a 37, my best ever. 5 over par.

RandyHolt

Keep truckin'
Nov 3, 2006
Polish History Lesson X

Today is the 75 year anniversary of the start of WWII, Germany invading Poland after attacking themselves in Operation Himmler, including Operation Gleiwitz. An interesting note on Poland in WWII, they declared War vs Japan, who respectfully declined. What a ****ing mess it all was. I still can't believe the untold stories of all that happened there. There are many heroic stories to be told of the Poles, which include saving the lives of countless Jewish children, among many others.

usiel

Sponsor
Jul 29, 2002
Klendathu
www.myspace.com
Damn, brutal traffic. I wonder if Waze would have a decent alternative route. But not many alternatives when going to MD from VA.

Sep 19, 2008
The problem is the Legion bridge is the only way out of NoVa :laugh:

So of course everyone's going to cram into one single 4 lane highway out of NOVA

You could go through DC but it just takes longer.

usiel

Sponsor
Jul 29, 2002
Klendathu
www.myspace.com
My only comparison is when i was regularly heading down to Richmond on Saturdays...when 95S blew up there is only Route 1 and it would invariably blow up as well as many would jump over.

Flashing back to the snowpocalypse winter. That first one hit on Saturday and I still drove to Richmond..took a little under 3 hours. Coming back though leaving at 8pm it took me till 4AM to get back home, hah.

itsjustsurvival

These are my last, last words
Mar 30, 2006
richmond, virginia.
My only comparison is when i was regularly heading down to Richmond on Saturdays...when 95S blew up there is only Route 1 and it would invariably blow up as well as many would jump over.

Flashing back to the snowpocalypse winter. That first one hit on Saturday and I still drove to Richmond..took a little under 3 hours. Coming back though leaving at 8pm it took me till 4AM to get back home, hah.

Oh god. It was terrible then.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->