Completely New to Hockey

Judge13

Aug 11, 2019
I got transferred to a new city for work so I got so busy but I found a bit of time today to go before work here.
I learned today that
- I shouldn't tie the middle 3 laces too tight to help alleviate arch pain.
- I need to work on my quad muscles even more to keep low.
- I need to study and learn edges more.
- My forward stride is ok but could always use more work.
- I can turn... accidentally when I attempt to stop.
- People are going to point, laugh and record you when you're doing you're absolute worst.
- Having a stick helps with balance.
- Pads are a great asset/ investment.
- I will always always wear a helmet.
- I need to work at this more.

Howie Hodge

Zombie Woof
Sep 16, 2017
Buffalo, NY
Take a power skating course. After one summer of twice a week workouts, I went from a beginner to an intermediate player in my rec. league.

This!

I went to Norm Defelice Power skating school as a 14 year old. I went from a house league 2'nd liner to a travel player within two years.

Ironically, it ended up being Norm's Buffalo Blades Organization I played (briefly) with.

Again, the point is the benefit of the skating, not on me.

Reactions: Andrei79

Yukon Joe

Aug 3, 2011
YWG -> YXY -> YEG
This!

I went to Norm Defelice Power skating school as a 14 year old. I went from a house league 2'nd liner to a travel player within two years.

Ironically, it ended up being Norm's Buffalo Blades Organization I played (briefly) with.

Again, the point is the benefit of the skating, not on me.

But the thing is: there's not really such a thing as "power skating for adults". Everything out there is for kids/teens.

Judge13

Aug 11, 2019
That's a Bingo^^. Yeah the challenge is finding a good skating program up here. Its more difficult because everyone here can skate so they don't do a lot of adult classes and if they do.. they cater to the 9-5 workers.. not the 12-16 hour, rotating days/night First Responder.

LeifUK

Jan 2, 2018
But the thing is: there's not really such a thing as "power skating for adults". Everything out there is for kids/teens.

I’m taking skating lessons from a coach and figure skater, after three years teaching myself. What I have learnt is that almost everything I taught myself was wrong: forward stride, crossovers, backwards stride. So she has addressed each area, such as forward stride, and taught me the correct technique from scratch. The result is that I can skate much faster, and I am more stable and agile. I have also gone to a shallower hollow which is less tiring. You will need decent technique as a basis for power skating.

I suspect a decent skating coach can give you power skating lessons, once they have improved/developed your basics.

Claudi27

Mar 28, 2008
Barcelona
Checking in again. Brutal is the right word and quite the amount of suffering comes first before you actually enjoy being on the ice playing.

Some extra advice, keep putting in the hours. Also sometimes stopping for a week or two and coming back to the ice helps you improve and feel the skates a bit differently. Kind of when you give up on a videogame screen that's just too hard, and you come again 2 months later and beat it first try.

You can also add in some gym work on your legs, groin and abs. Groin press is very useful for skating, give it a few weeks and you'll notice some skating movements feel easier to do. You still won't have the skills, but you'll be much, much less fatigued while you work on you technique.

Ice is very hard on the groin so this is a good part of your body to strengthen for both improving your technique and not getting it torn up or sprained.

Yukon Joe

Aug 3, 2011
YWG -> YXY -> YEG
I’m taking skating lessons from a coach and figure skater, after three years teaching myself. What I have learnt is that almost everything I taught myself was wrong: forward stride, crossovers, backwards stride. So she has addressed each area, such as forward stride, and taught me the correct technique from scratch. The result is that I can skate much faster, and I am more stable and agile. I have also gone to a shallower hollow which is less tiring. You will need decent technique as a basis for power skating.

I suspect a decent skating coach can give you power skating lessons, once they have improved/developed your basics.

Yes, you can go out and rent ice on your own, and pay for 1 on 1 instruction. I just don't have the funds to do that for what is after all just a purely recreational activity.

And actually, on my team of pure beginners, I'm probably one of the better skaters (in that I can actually go backwards). It's my hands of stone and muffin of a shot that are holding me back more than anything.

Mr Jiggyfly

Jan 29, 2004

Ya I was just about to post this advice.

Taking private lessons can really help accelerate your progress. Having a trained eye watching your mechanics and correcting them will save you tons of time and pain... literal pain.

You will also learn all of the correct basic mechanics and have a great foundation to keep building upon.

Really something to consider hard Judge.

Reactions: LeifUK

NewDef

Nov 2, 2015
Check on facebook for leagues around you and ask around if they know of beginner league / adult classes. Around here there are some commercial offers but there also are a few old timers that do beginner class because they just enjoy coaching.

I started to play at 37, a computer nerd, and now 45 and I'm still a computer nerd but I can do a good first pass under pressure, control my skates all right and do overall okay (not good but okay) ;) I know what you're going thru but worse in my case is I was not an athlete to start with.

One thing I can guarantee is, you will fall... if you don't, you're not trying hard enough. At some point you will begin to be comfortable on the ice with the basics, then it's time to think the game a bit more (escape moves, edge work, pivots etc) but first, make sure you do enough skating that you're not blanching out when you step on the ice. You could try some yoga on the side to improve balance and leg strength. Just standing on a leg for a while, then the other, do that as often as possible, it will help. Skating is one blade on the ice while you push with the other, hence that glide skake must be steady.

Have fun, that first real goal (I mean REAL goal during a match) is something to look up to. It might take a while, but you'll get it and then remember what really smiling is ;)

Reactions: LeifUK and Claudi27

Dueling Banjos

Oct 29, 2014
Always wear elbow pads, public skates, always.

They will give you much needed confidence cause you will hit the ground and you have to if you want to learn, repeatedly.

Mr Jiggyfly

Jan 29, 2004
Always wear elbow pads, public skates, always.

They will give you much needed confidence cause you will hit the ground and you have to if you want to learn, repeatedly.

Funny because my daughter just messed up her elbow that way.

She’s been skating since she was 4 (8 now) and is a hell of a skater now, and I always make her wear full gear, minus shoulder pads, even at public skates.

The other day she decided she was too good for elbow pads... and of course she was doing some insane one foot jumping move she invented and lost and edge then smashed her elbow. Blood was all over her shirt and now she has a nasty gash.

Like I told her, better safe than sorry.

Dueling Banjos

Oct 29, 2014
Funny because my daughter just messed up her elbow that way.

She’s been skating since she was 4 (8 now) and is a hell of a skater now, and I always make her wear full gear, minus shoulder pads, even at public skates.

The other day she decided she was too good for elbow pads... and of course she was doing some insane one foot jumping move she invented and lost and edge then smashed her elbow. Blood was all over her shirt and now she has a nasty gash.

Like I told her, better safe than sorry.

Sounds awful..she will learn.

Yeah the elbows are usually first on the ground when catching an edge, i mean wrist -> elbow but i try to put wrist away and land on elbow pads.

Filthy Dangles

Registered User*
Oct 23, 2014
Yeah if you lose an edge while trying to crossing over as you learn your edges, good chance your elbow will jackhammer into the ground, not fun.

Definitely want protection there it will give you more confidence to push the boundaries

LeifUK

Jan 2, 2018
For public skates light knee and elbow pads such as Gform are well worth the cost. They even slip under skinny jeans and long sleeved shirts.

shoeshine boy

Aug 14, 2008
Yes, you can go out and rent ice on your own, and pay for 1 on 1 instruction. I just don't have the funds to do that for what is after all just a purely recreational activity.

can't speak to where you live but here in ATL you can take private skating and hockey lessons for much less than "renting the ice". basically they allow people who work at the rink (hockey coaches, figure skating coaches) to earn a little extra money by giving private lessons at times when the ice isn't in huge demand. you might not have the entire surface to yourself but you'll get room to work with your coach.

Mr Jiggyfly

Jan 29, 2004
can't speak to where you live but here in ATL you can take private skating and hockey lessons for much less than "renting the ice". basically they allow people who work at the rink (hockey coaches, figure skating coaches) to earn a little extra money by giving private lessons at times when the ice isn't in huge demand. you might not have the entire surface to yourself but you'll get room to work with your coach.

Ya same here in Pittsburgh. You basically go on the ice during a public session and they work with you. It’s quite reasonable here, around $25-35 an hour.

In fact I was just made aware that Tyler Kennedy gives private hockey lessons for I believe $50 an hour. I always saw him around the rink before he gave lessons, but figured he charged some crazy amount.

Reactions: Filthy Dangles

TheDawnOfANewTage

Dahlin, it’ll all be fine
Dec 17, 2018
I got transferred to a new city for work so I got so busy but I found a bit of time today to go before work here.
I learned today that
- People are going to point, laugh and record you when you're doing you're absolute worst.

Yo, keep up the good work! Let us know how it's going, but I really respect guys who get into it later. Started a bit late myself transitioning from roller hockey, and my dad picked up the sport at like 50 and showed steady improvement until he retired around 60. Just have fun, don't worry what other people think- you're doing something you wanna do and you're challenging yourself, much better than being a mouth breather recording some nonsense on their phone.

Ya same here in Pittsburgh. You basically go on the ice during a public session and they work with you. It’s quite reasonable here, around $25-35 an hour.

In fact I was just made aware that Tyler Kennedy gives private hockey lessons for I believe $50 an hour. I always saw him around the rink before he gave lessons, but figured he charged some crazy amount.

Lol that is surprisingly low. I'd be tempted to put down $50 just to grab a beer with Kennedy and hear funny NHL stories.

HansonBro

May 3, 2006
I learned today that
Im going to ask what everyone else has been wondering...where do you live?

Reactions: Filthy Dangles

Yukon Joe

Aug 3, 2011
YWG -> YXY -> YEG
Man oh man, kind of feeling discouraged about hockey.

I started playing one year ago. I play on a team of fellow beginners. We've picked up 2 players this year who do have some experience (1 has quite a lot) but they deliberately play defence and stay back, not wanting to show up the other beginner teams we play. It's been fun and we're all slowly improving.

But yesterday one of the guys on my team had an offer: a team of senior men (50+) had their opponent cancel on them. Ice time is paid for, do we want to play? So a bunch of us go for it.

This team is a bunch of 50-60 year old men. The core of them have been playing together for 20 years, and they all played hockey as kids (at least the ones I talked to). And they could treat us like absolute pylons out there. Now they were perfect sportsmen out there - not trying to show us up, were doing multiple, probably unnecessary passes before scoring, and we even just mixed up the teams half way through to make it more competitive.

But still... damn. I'm never going to be that good, no matter how hard I try. And it wasn't like these guys were some superstar team - they're just a bunch of beer-leaguers too.

Mr Jiggyfly

Jan 29, 2004

I started playing one year ago. I play on a team of fellow beginners. We've picked up 2 players this year who do have some experience (1 has quite a lot) but they deliberately play defence and stay back, not wanting to show up the other beginner teams we play. It's been fun and we're all slowly improving.

But yesterday one of the guys on my team had an offer: a team of senior men (50+) had their opponent cancel on them. Ice time is paid for, do we want to play? So a bunch of us go for it.

This team is a bunch of 50-60 year old men. The core of them have been playing together for 20 years, and they all played hockey as kids (at least the ones I talked to). And they could treat us like absolute pylons out there. Now they were perfect sportsmen out there - not trying to show us up, were doing multiple, probably unnecessary passes before scoring, and we even just mixed up the teams half way through to make it more competitive.

But still... damn. I'm never going to be that good, no matter how hard I try. And it wasn't like these guys were some superstar team - they're just a bunch of beer-leaguers too.

Here is the thing you gotta keep in mind, even those of us who have played forever watch certain other guys and think “damn, I wish I was that good...”

There is always someone way better than you that will piss all over you if they felt like it, unless you are in the 1% that play pro hockey... and even then...

I still remember going to stick time when I was 17 or so way back and met this guy who played in the old IHL and was home visiting family for the summer.

We played 1-1 since we were the only ones there, and I was hanging pretty well, then he decided it was time to try and I got stomped.

I kind of had my head down and he said “chin up man... you are a good player” and he told me how he was just a Duster in the I and would get smashed by most of the better players there... and those guys would get put in a mayo jar by journeyman NHLers... and so on and so forth...

That made me feel better, until I realized what Yzerman or Sakic, etc would do to me.

But hopefully you get the idea I’m driving at - just have fun and if you are enjoying the game, who cares.

Reactions: predfan24

Pez68

Mar 18, 2010
Chicago, IL

Hockey is.....one of the hardest sports on the planet to play. A lot of those "old guys" have probably played at a high level at some point in their lives. Also, everyone ends up in beer league... I play against several guys that played pro hockey at some point. Hockey is a very cerebral game. Guys that can think the game, can pretty much play forever. As long as they can walk, anyways.

Play at your level, and enjoy it. There's no greater game on the planet.

S E P H

Cloud IX
Mar 5, 2010
Toruń, PL
... To be honest I never thought I would get this much support and help here. But I really thank you all!

I am looking into finding some skating lessons for adults around here. They have lots of kids programs but not many adult ones.

Yes I did that Bauer 3D Scan and the CCM Scan and I thought I was a Supreme or a Tacks but I got Vapor. And I like them. The Vapor really locks in my ankle and had the least amount of pain off the get go. But yes, I got 9 EE. But I brush the toe cap a touch when I sit and I don't when I stand and get into a hockey stance and they said that is how they should fit. I have a return warranty even after 1 bake just in case.

Gotcha! I will practice with all the equipment. In football skill players just practice with Helmet, cletes and gloves. After my experience with the cheap skates, spending a bit more for some stuff especially protection is ok. The human body only needs 1 kidney to live right? Hahaha

I appreciate those 5 things. Believe me, I am going into this with only 1 expectation.. To Try with discipline.
Playing high caliber football made me appreciate skills of different sports.

I know I probably won't be a good skater but I think I would be good to provide goalie screens/ deflections.

Thanks All. Keep the advice coming! Trust me.. I'll be very active posting on here once everything comes in!

How important is base layer? What do you wear? Is it important getting cut Resistant top/ bottoms? Like the CCM Base 360?

I like the Cup I have. Its a Jaco Guardian with a Diamond Diamond cup. Ive taken some nasty shots to there in MMA and it always never failed me.
It seems you have a ton of questions about equipment and what I want to say to is YouTube HockeyTutoritals. The bloke has a ton of advice videos to make you become a better player, but also more importantly the level of equipment you want for your skill level and a ton of reviews on a ton of different equipment.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->