Completely New to Hockey

Yukon Joe

Aug 3, 2011
YWG -> YXY -> YEG
Hey all,

So I am brand new to Hockey. I'm transitioning from Football. I feel that there is more playability with Hockey than after post secondary football.

Welcome to playing hockey! I can tell you that there is a surprising amount of "playability" with rec hockey - I know a few old timers up into their 60s and 70s that still play!

I wanted to try and answer a few of your questions because, like you, I am new to playing - I only started fall of 2018. Unlike you, however, I am not a former athlete in his 20s: I am a fairly unathletic man in my mid-40s. But here's what I have to say, for what it is worth.

First though, I have to suggest you be somewhat realistic about how far you're going to go. The muscle memory of learning to skate and stickhandle as a young kid and playing minor hockey for years and years is not something you can ever hope to replicate as an adult. Hockey is a great and enjoyable sport you can play for years and years, but it may also be humbling if you played football and MMA at a reasonably high level as well.

That being said, I've found hockey to be surprisingly welcoming. If you're a humble newbie people are always very welcoming, to the point of offering to help you up mid-game if you fall.

You suggested at one point you may wait a long while before actually playing a game. I urge you to reconsider. By all means try to improve and practice: but actually playing is the fun part. It's what gives you the motivation to learn and improve. Don't worry if you suck at first - just get in the game. And ability to skate, pass and shoot is only half the game: knowing positioning and "hockey sense" is a huge part. It's not like football where there are set plays and a specific pattern you are supposed to run.

Gear. This is tough because of your size. You do need to make sure you have gear good enough to give you proper protection. But at a beginner's level it's the skill holding you back, not the gear. Don't blow the budget on a lot of fancy gear.

I share your frustration at the lack of adult hockey camps or skills (unless you want to pay for one-on-one). Here in Edmonton I did find a good adult learn-to-play program that I did last fall, but there's pretty much nothing past that if you just want to improve. I know a few guys who have just taken the learn-to-play multiple times just because it was the only thing available to them to try and improve, even though they already knew how to play.

Public skates are okay, but kind of limiting as everyone just goes in a big circle. Stick and puck is better (just went to my first one last week!), but still will probably have a lot of kids out there. My personal favourite is to wait for outdoor ice: a lot less people, a lot less structured, you can just play around with the puck to try and improve.

Judge13

Aug 11, 2019
Thats what I heard! There is a league here just for 65+!

Yes I am behind by a long shot. For me, I can barely figure out what hand I am with a hockey stick. I bought a shooting pad to help kinda get use to stickhandling and stuff.

I just want to make sure I have a good base of skills so I don't hurt others in a game. I'm a built 6'0 225lbs guy so I don't really want to be hurling myself around and not be able to avoid collisions. Also with my line of work, any type of injury can be detrimental to work in but believe me I would like to participate in games.

Yeah unfortunately also with my work schedule its hard to line up ice times but I'll figure something out.

Skates came in today but I'll have to pick them up tomorrow!

tealhockey

@overtheboards
Jun 2, 2012
www.tealhockey.net

Yes I am behind by a long shot. For me, I can barely figure out what hand I am with a hockey stick. I bought a shooting pad to help kinda get use to stickhandling and stuff.

I just want to make sure I have a good base of skills so I don't hurt others in a game. I'm a built 6'0 225lbs guy so I don't really want to be hurling myself around and not be able to avoid collisions. Also with my line of work, any type of injury can be detrimental to work in but believe me I would like to participate in games.

Yeah unfortunately also with my work schedule its hard to line up ice times but I'll figure something out.

Good luck man! Hockey is the best and a sport that you can enjoy for life. My advice is keep it simple, incidental contact contesting possession is more than enough to knock someone off the puck, you don't need to be throwing hits in general to be making an impact physically. Once you have the fundamentals down and your skating mechanics come along you will get more and more confident like any sport and figure out what kind of player you are from there. One thing to keep in mind is you usually have more time than you think you do once you get the puck, if you can draw a guy in for a beat rather than just making the first pass you see, you will be off to a good start.

Mr Jiggyfly

Jan 29, 2004

Your dominant hand should be on the top, as most of the control of the puck is done with the top hand. Ie if you throw with your right hand, you should shoot leftie.

There are exceptions to the rule, like my daughter, but that’s generally how it goes.

Check out Pavel Barber on YT for some good vids on stickhandling. He has a nice set of hands and explains things well in his vids.

HansonBro

May 3, 2006
As a former hockey instructor, I was initially hesitant to add to the already abundance of opinions/information. But what the heck...

Firstly, I would recommend learning to skate with your stick (when possible). A) thats your end goal B) the hockey stick absolutely serves as a "tiger tail" in regards to balance/counter balance. Crucial to hockey.

Secondly, pre-select a few drills you want to specifically work on prior to leaving for the rink. Understand the purpose of the drill and what you're trying to gain from it. Conscious pre meditation will help. Dont select too many drills for an hour skate. 3 maybe 4 drills should suffice. Allow time for stretching on the ice first, drills, rests and some cool down laps at the end.

And thirdly, focus on the fundamentals/techniques over speed to start. For instance if you are working on crossovers using the faceoff circles as a figure 8 track, be deliberate with your strides and crossovers. Skate at an easy pace and work on the fluidity of the strides. Speed will only come once you can be fluid. Same goes for taking shots. They wont be 99mph until your technique is proper first. Dont forget these things will eventually become second nature to you and thats the point of any drill.

And lastly, have fun. This is such a beautiful game. From the excitement on game day, the crisp cold air, the sounds of the ice crackling under your feet or the puck ringing off the crossbar. Man I love this game

Goodluck friend

Judge13

Aug 11, 2019
She's here!! I couldn't believe how light the box felt and the skates too. I feel I should of skipped out on the insoles because the stock ones feel nice! I am so excited to start.

I got to try with my right hand on top. It feels odd... Kinda like if you throw a football with your left hand if you're right hand dominant. I guess a new thing to practice.

Yes, I did that with football in the aspect of picking 2 or 3 skills to drill after practice so I hope to transition that to hockey.

Does anyone have any suggestions for gear? I'm up in Canada. I've checked Kijiji amd there isn't a lot of Large Senior gear for sale where I am.

Attachments

• 20190815_143019.jpg
    20190815_143019.jpg
    236.8 KB · Views: 7

Claudi27

Mar 28, 2008
Barcelona
She's here!! I couldn't believe how light the box felt and the skates too. I feel I should of skipped out on the insoles because the stock ones feel nice! I am so excited to start.

I got to try with my right hand on top. It feels odd... Kinda like if you throw a football with your left hand if you're right hand dominant. I guess a new thing to practice.

Yes, I did that with football in the aspect of picking 2 or 3 skills to drill after practice so I hope to transition that to hockey.

Does anyone have any suggestions for gear? I'm up in Canada. I've checked Kijiji amd there isn't a lot of Large Senior gear for sale where I am.

For handedness, I think you should go with what feels more natural, not strictly dominant hand on top. I'm a right handed writer, righty shot because it just felt natural to me since the beginning.

Try left and right and go with what feels better.

Judge13

Aug 11, 2019
I throw a football with my right but it feels more comfortable with my left hand on top for stickhandling. I did the cardboard tube test to make sure I wasn't handling with my bottom hand and it seems ok. I seem to be able to load up my shot a bit quicker shooting from the right side of my body.

Also, is Sportchek or Pro Hockey Life ok to get skates baked and sharpened for the first time?

There is a guy who used to be an equipment manager for an NHL team that has a store and its not that super pricey.. about $40 for a bake and sharpen. But with Sportchek the first bale and sharpen is free..

Also do I need to worry about radius?
Radius of Hollow?
Flat Bottom V?

Claudi27

Mar 28, 2008
Barcelona
I throw a football with my right but it feels more comfortable with my left hand on top for stickhandling. I did the cardboard tube test to make sure I wasn't handling with my bottom hand and it seems ok. I seem to be able to load up my shot a bit quicker shooting from the right side of my body.

Also, is Sportchek or Pro Hockey Life ok to get skates baked and sharpened for the first time?

There is a guy who used to be an equipment manager for an NHL team that has a store and its not that super pricey.. about $40 for a bake and sharpen. But with Sportchek the first bale and sharpen is free..

Radius of Hollow?
Flat Bottom V?

Anyone will do the baking and sharpening just fine. The baking part you could do it yourself even.

I would throw in the 40$ the first time for a quality sharpen and the bake. I'm quite sure both are good options though, so depends if you're in the mood of paying the extra money just to feel a bit safer.

Radius, hollow, Flat Bottom V, I'd say no need to worry about that for now. I guess you can start toying around and trying a different radius once you're a smooth skater 'as is'. For learning, this won't make much of a difference, if at all. Just ask for a regular sharpen :)

Ryan Pat80

Mar 16, 2019
Colorado Springs

Radius of Hollow?
Flat Bottom V?
I must be getting old, but what's the cardboard tube test? I started hockey in 1990 when my old man handed me a stick and decided I was a lefty lol.

Mr Jiggyfly

Jan 29, 2004

Radius of Hollow?
Flat Bottom V?

Make sure anyone who sharpens your skates knows they are new. You want to make sure to tell them to crossgrind your steel or you will find yourself falling all over the ice.

A good wheel man should know he’s working with new steel, but I’ve learned the hard way that’s not always the case. So be specific about what you want ie crossgrind and say a 1/2 inch hollow.

You only need this done with new skates or new runners, unless you get a nice ding on your steel.

Last edited:

Judge13

Aug 11, 2019
Could you explain what a crossgrind is? Is there a big difference between traditional vs flat bottom V?

Cardboard tube test.. well its not so much a test as it is a training exercise is to test your top hand hockey fine motor skills on a stick. You slide a cardboard tube down the stick and gently wrap your bottom hand around it and practice turning the blade open and closed with no assistance from the bottom hand as some beginners with use rheir bottom hand more than their top hand for puck control.

Mr Jiggyfly

Jan 29, 2004
Could you explain what a crossgrind is? Is there a big difference between traditional vs flat bottom V?

Cardboard tube test.. well its not so much a test as it is a training exercise is to test your top hand hockey fine motor skills on a stick. You slide a cardboard tube down the stick and gently wrap your bottom hand around it and practice turning the blade open and closed with no assistance from the bottom hand as some beginners with use rheir bottom hand more than their top hand for puck control.

A crossgrind is basically going to run perpendicular to your blades and flatten them out. Essentially resetting your edges so they can be sharpened properly.

As for flat bottom V, I spoke to a guy I trust who has been cutting blades for over 30 years and he told me he can do it for me, but it’s more a gimmick in his opinion and kind of silly.

I’ve never tried it because of his advice, but I haven’t heard anyone I know of who thinks it creates a better hollow.

You can ask on modsquadhockey and see their opinions. Those guys over there always know their shit on anything you need to know.

Last edited:

Judge13

Aug 11, 2019
Well I finally got the time to get my skates sharpened and baked today!
I went to Pro Hockey Life because I went to Sportchek and mentioned "Cross Grind" and they looked at me like I was a mad man. I went to PHL and they knew exactly what to do. They took the time and explained the difference between FBV and the Traditional. The guy suggested doing the Traditional cut first and after learning how to skate and getting better to start fine tuning the likes/ dislikes.

The baking process was a neat experience. Almost like a spa for your feet. So far.. this is alot better than football. Haha

Andrei79

Jan 25, 2013
I didn't read through the whole thread, so apologies if some of this was alreadt said:

On handedness: go with what feels natural. Just remember: control your stick with the top hand. The bottom hand is there for power, but its supposed to be able to slide up and down, so its a soft grip. Actually, you should have a relatively soft grip when your stickhandling. Check videos for proper grip position for your top hand and how much space should be between both hands.

More on stickhandling: hands in front, dont lock them to your hips, and cup the puck both sides. Check Belfry for what I mean on youtube. Practice all spaces around and behind you. There are a lot of handles, take your time through them.

On skating: pay for a class. Any class, even if its not hockey specific (figure skaters giving general skating classes will help your edges). Work on your basic hockey position first. Thats how you can be a newb without skating like a bender. Then, work on your edges. Being good with your edges will improve all of your skating.

For shooting: watch videos for proper technique. Learning the right form early will make it easier in the long run to generate power and accuracy.

Reactions: LeifUK

Gaylord Q Tinkledink

Apr 29, 2018
Whichever your dominant hand is, doesn't dictate how you should shoot. When you hold a stick and use it, one way will feel more comfortable than the other

Play a game whenever. Most rinks have a pick up game. For me, in a small town it's 5 bucks and it's more about getting out and playing than it is for the skill level. Everyone is welcome and if they don't like it that you're there because you might not be on the same skill level they can f*** off.

If you don't want to spend money later on, just use a hairdryer to heat your skates up, put them on and tie them tight and just chill at home. Make sure you have guards on.

Judge13

Aug 11, 2019
Hey All, sorry I haven't been replying back alot. Don't worry the drive is still there. I have been scoping out times to go try skating when there isn't so many people. Its a hockey town here so everyone above 3 years old can skates amazingly. Im a tad nervous to be that guy who goes to an open skate wearing pads..

Mr Jiggyfly

Jan 29, 2004
Hey All, sorry I haven't been replying back alot. Don't worry the drive is still there. I have been scoping out times to go try skating when there isn't so many people. Its a hockey town here so everyone above 3 years old can skates amazingly. Im a tad nervous to be that guy who goes to an open skate wearing pads..

Why don’t you just join an adult learn to skate program? You will progress much faster with instructors helping and correcting you.

Are you in Ontario? I know when I lived there they had Can Skate...

CanSkate - Skate Ontario

Other provinces should have similar programs.

Judge13

Aug 11, 2019
Yeah I have looked into all the adult learn to skate and beginner hockey classes and unfortunately First Responder working schedules don't care if you want to learn how to skate haha. There is a university that is offering a 2nd Level Learn to Skate program but I need to build some confidence on the ice.

Also can anyone weigh in on what is better?
CCM 5092
Protective Equipment Line
Or
Bauer Supreme S170
Protective Equipment Line?
They're both right now around the same price point and they have my size in both lines. (Shoulder Pad, Shin Pad, Elbow Pad)

I'm hoping getting a CCM 5092 Hockey Pant so I'm wondering if it would be better to just stick with CCM for protection.

LeifUK

Jan 2, 2018

I used to wear skate board pads but they’re obtrusive and I stuck out. I now wear light weight pads under my tracksuit bottoms and fleece top. Noone knows they are there. Many times I’ve fallen heavily on my knees, and a rink steward has come over to ask if I’m alright, and I just get up and carry on to their surprise. Since you’re American, your best bet is probably G-Form pads, they’re cheap, and good enough to take away the sting when a knee or elbow hits the ice. As I said earlier, I also wear Xion boxer shorts which are amazing.

Judge13

Aug 11, 2019
So interesting! Im a little north! Im Canadian! Just not a very good one as I'm probably the only Canadian who can't skate haha hence why I was embarrassed to say what country I'm from. I'm just gonna pull the trigger on getting the CCM 5092 line and go from there. I'll just wear the pads as I learn and try my best to ignore the laughs and mocking. People say Canadians are super nice. Thats only some of the time.

LeifUK

Jan 2, 2018
Sorry, I should have said North American so as not to assume. A Canadian who can’t skate, now that’s unusual. I always assumed you were born with skates already strapped to your feet. :)

Judge13

Aug 11, 2019
Blah.. well if anyone still follows this thread. Today was the first day I got the Ice. It was pretty brutal. Im having so much difficulty skating backwards amd stopping. Even just the snowplow stop I'm having difficulty doing. My knee pads really helped though and kept me safe and wanting to try more but learning the basics is going to take a while... a long while. Blah.

Yukon Joe

Aug 3, 2011
YWG -> YXY -> YEG
Blah.. well if anyone still follows this thread. Today was the first day I got the Ice. It was pretty brutal. Im having so much difficulty skating backwards amd stopping. Even just the snowplow stop I'm having difficulty doing. My knee pads really helped though and kept me safe and wanting to try more but learning the basics is going to take a while... a long while. Blah.

Oh, I somehow thought you were already skating.

Just keep at it! Difficulty going backwards and stopping are some of the things we have to spend a lot of time on with kids learning to skate, and it'll be no different with you. Practice makes perfect is all I can say - and don't worry about it. I mentioned I started playing just one year ago with a bunch of other beginners, and even after a full learn to play program, and playing hockey weekly since then, some of the guys are still having issues stopping or going backwards.

Probably common sense, but if you're that raw and going out to public skates, even if not required please be sure to wear your helmet! There was one time when I was just practicing a simple two foot stop I lost it and my head hit the ice HARD. If I hadn't been wearing a helmet I don't know what kind of shape I'd have been in.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->