Confirmed with Link: Branding, Jerseys, Community Involvement, Arena & Water Street Tampa - Part 4

Status
Not open for further replies.

Felonious Python

Minor League Degenerate
Aug 20, 2004

The first residences in Water Street Tampa will be part of a massive, mixed-use development that includes twin towers and a ground-floor grocery store.

Strategic Property Partners, the developer behind Water Street, on Thursday revealed renderings for its first residential project, which will include a 26-story condo tower and 21-story rental tower. The two buildings share a green roof. A grocery store — long part of the plans for SPP's development — is planned at the street level.

The building, named 815 Water Street, will sit at Channelside Drive and Water Street, near the entrance to the Tampa Riverwalk and across the street from Amalie Arena. The rental tower is perpendicular to Channelside Drive while the condos will be built to maximize water views. The retail will line Channelside Drive.

SPP refers to it as the "southern anchor" of Water Street.

Last edited:

Felonious Python

Minor League Degenerate
Aug 20, 2004
Noted Based Owner, Jeff Vinik spoke with one-time guest star of ABC's 'Dr. Ken', Kevin O'Leary.

Last edited:

Felonious Python

Minor League Degenerate
Aug 20, 2004

The idea of the district is "to provide long-term solution for sustainability — without relying on Tampa’s taxpayers for financial support," according to Ali Glisson, spokeswoman for the Vinik-Cascade partnership.

Glisson said the district would "solely assess the commercial owners only, meaning those assessments will be borne by commercial property owners — not Tampa’s existing residents nor future residents of the neighborhood."

Strategic Property Partners, the company Vinik and Cascade formed to develop Water Street Tampa, said Monday the district:
• Could help build new parks and public spaces or make improvements to existing ones; pay for landscaping, public art and street furniture; support transportation like the streetcar, buses or facilities for autonomous vehicles and ride services like Uber and Lyft; provide district-wide WiFi and support some of the district’s healthy design initiatives.

• Would provide for enhanced maintenance of the project and allow Strategic Property Partners to play an active role in sustaining publicly owned spaces such as Cotanchobee Park, the Tampa Bay History Center and Amalie Arena.

Felonious Python

Minor League Degenerate
Aug 20, 2004

Interesting new (to me) render. Note the greenery on top of hockey building and others. Hydroponics still presumably. The fact that they appear open air is a little surprising actually. At least some greenhouses could create some possibilities in growing different types of plants, and at least creates a more stable environment. (but I also know nothing about plants)

Last edited:

Felonious Python

Minor League Degenerate
Aug 20, 2004
Vinik spoke at the CRE Tech Summit. Ashley Kritzer of the Tampa Bay Business Journal livetweeted it. Ashley Kritzer (@TBBJAshley) | Twitter However I'll be embedding Richard Danielson's tweets as he hit the highlights and used his 280 character limit more effectively. I do highly suggest checking Kritzer's feed if you want all the details.

when he says "the All-Star Game in 2021" I believe he is talking about the Puppy Bowl in 2021.

update: the Tampa Bay Times story on this

Tampa Bay Business Journal article

Last edited:

Felonious Python

Minor League Degenerate
Aug 20, 2004

"We don’t want to have to build a new venue and it’s about the time that owners start saying they want a new stadium," Merrill said. "Vinik is committing to stay in that building for 20 years. That’s huge. It’s a very worthwhile investment to avoid that cost.

"It’s the way it should be, sharing the cost of a county building and we don’t have to beat him to do it."
What Water Street Tampa would look like post-Lightning is an interesting thought, but obviously much of the development is predicated on them being being at the big hockey room on Channelside.

Last edited:

Felonious Python

Minor League Degenerate
Aug 20, 2004

The 26-story convention hotel in Water Street Tampa will be a JW Marriott, a luxury flag that is not yet in Tampa.

Strategic Property Partners, the developer of Water Street Tampa, announced the flag for 10 Water Street, which will include 519 rooms and the region's highest rooftop bar. SPP also announced $40 million in renovations to the adjacent Tampa Marriott Waterside Hotel and Marina.

Last edited:

Felonious Python

Minor League Degenerate
Aug 20, 2004
Vinik owned Tampa Bay Storm suspending operations.

This is one of those things that eats at my soul. Football isn't my game, but there's got to be those die-hard Storm fans who have to hear now all the time about how great Jeff Vinik is, when he suspended their team's operations. The AFL is in a tough spot, and TB is by far and away the furthest destination with the rest of the league in DC, Baltimore, Philly, Albany (and Cleveland I guess). The travel costs have got to be way higher than the rest of the league, and it's honestly sort of unfair for the rest of the league to have to deal with such an outlier.

Very fortunately for those fans there's the Bucs and USF Bulls. Children's HS games are also a big deal for some reason. Football in Florida is not in short supply.

Nice statement from the team. No mention of the Lightning, and already expressing interest in a comeback.

Last edited:

These Are The Days

Oh no! We suck again!!
May 17, 2014
Tampa Bay
There is the National Arena League (NAL) where the Jacksonville Sharks are playing. It's a new league but it's also way too unstable.

It might be worth a shot but I happen to agree with Hoek here. The AFL is just not in good shape right now. There's unlikely any point to invest further and Vinik probably feels the league is on borrowed time anyway. And yeah, most startup leagues are unstable at first but there might be a chance that if the Tampa Bay Storm were to retain their existence and go into a different league it could provide at least some stability. Vinik is as good of an owner as it gets and I think the Tampa Bay fanbase would gladly follow them to a new league. You might be made to start over, but you'd be essentially adding a team that's had 25 years of support and a tremendous amount of credibility.

It's probably an idea worth revisiting in a few years if the NAL or AAL manage to sustain themselves. If the AFL manages to hang on then you can always just start the Storm back up there too.

Felonious Python

Minor League Degenerate
Aug 20, 2004
It might be worth a shot but I happen to agree with Hoek here. The AFL is just not in good shape right now. There's unlikely any point to invest further and Vinik probably feels the league is on borrowed time anyway. And yeah, most startup leagues are unstable at first but there might be a chance that if the Tampa Bay Storm were to retain their existence and go into a different league it could provide at least some stability. Vinik is as good of an owner as it gets and I think the Tampa Bay fanbase would gladly follow them to a new league. You might be made to start over, but you'd be essentially adding a team that's had 25 years of support and a tremendous amount of credibility.

It's probably an idea worth revisiting in a few years if the NAL or AAL manage to sustain themselves. If the AFL manages to hang on then you can always just start the Storm back up there too.

I don't disagree with withdrawing from arena football for the time being. I don't have a dog in this fight other than being a fan of minor league hockey and having lost a team when an alternative league was available. (the Bears had become geographically isolated too when the IHL folded. Cincinnati was the nearest team as I recall) Alternative leagues for arena ball do exist, which Storm fans will rightly ask TBS&E about, and that was not explicitly mentioned in the team's statement. I know that they can't (and won't) take a dump on these other leagues, but there are two geographical fits that I see, even if the leagues are really shaky right now.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad