Confirmed with Link: Branding, Jerseys, Community Involvement, Arena & Water Street Tampa - Part 4

Status
Not open for further replies.

TheDaysOf 04

[ 2 6 ] [ 4 ]
Jun 23, 2007
NJ
Why are people so obsessed with victory stripes? It's literally a line down the pants. Who cares?

To add to TheDentist & M4B, they were an original design added by Espo himself so there could be some sentimental feelings for it because of that.

MattM92

Dec 8, 2010
FL
Ok, stripes under the armpits. Again, is that really something to keep obsessing about year after year?

AlphaCatalyst

Elite Fan
Jun 27, 2007
Calgary
For me I would welcome back the Victory Stripes as it was something that gave us an identity. Separated us from the rest of the league. Especially with the current jerseys that have a slightly different arm stripe than Toronto or are just a blue Red wings jersey. Both Toronto and Detroit's Jerseys look great, but having our own identity would be nice whether that is the Stripes or even just a black accent on either side of the white stripes for the arms and bottom of the Jersey.

5 second mock-up
35468318975_7841be78fb_m.jpg

Major4Boarding

Unfamiliar Moderator
Jan 30, 2009
South of Heaven
To add to TheDentist & M4B, they were an original design added by Espo himself so there could be some sentimental feelings for it because of that.
Let's be honest though... they look stupid. It's like deodorant stains.

Ok, stripes under the armpits. Again, is that really something to keep obsessing about year after year?

Blasphemy!! :D

I get it though. Its an acquired taste. Like beer... or this Forum :naughty:

PhysicalGraffiti

Bolts STM
Jul 26, 2007
NY to TB
Why are people so obsessed with victory stripes? It's literally a line down the pants. Who cares?

It was an awesome and unique part of the uniform from Esposito. It was a cool part of Bolts history. It was also something we were told would be brought back IIRC. It was part of our identity and something that made us different. Though now we are determined to be a carbon copy of other teams in appearance, so I suppose no victory stripes goes with that.

As others have said, they are the stripes under the arm pits.

Though Vinik and co. is determined to erase history and create everything of his own from the victory stripes to the Cup banner. I like the history and tradition we had as a young team. They got rid of that. Now what do we have? Some people doing soccer chants in the upper deck who weren't around during the Cup?

I get that most people aren't bothered by any of this. I'm not most people I suppose.

Flat Ronnie

Feb 11, 2014
Why don't they just go throw-back for the 3rd jersey? Seems too obvious to me. There is definitely enough nostalgia there to be a very popular 3rd.

PhysicalGraffiti

Bolts STM
Jul 26, 2007
NY to TB
Why don't they just go throw-back for the 3rd jersey? Seems too obvious to me. There is definitely enough nostalgia there to be a very popular 3rd.

I HIGHLY doubt they would ever do that.

Then people can see in person the glaring shortcomings of the current logo/jersey vs the old. Might get people upset again like when the blues first came out.

LightningStrikes

Champa Bay Lightning
Nov 24, 2009
I HIGHLY doubt they would ever do that.

Then people can see in person the glaring shortcomings of the current logo/jersey vs the old. Might get people upset again like when the blues first came out.

Were people really upset though? First game the entire arena was dressed in the new blues. Fresh start with new management and ownership coupled with a clean new look. Most people were welcoming it, or at least didn't mind.

AlphaCatalyst

Elite Fan
Jun 27, 2007
Calgary
Were people really upset though? First game the entire arena was dressed in the new blues. Fresh start with new management and ownership coupled with a clean new look. Most people were welcoming it, or at least didn't mind.

The original Design they had for the new look was only Blue and white and the Pants just had a white stripe. There was enough fan backlash to make them add black trim to the numbers and put the bolt back on the pants.

http://www.tampabay.com/sports/hockey/lightning/tampa-bay-lightning-puts-white-lightning-bolt-on-side-of-new-uniform-pants/1153425

After our multiple announcements in the past weeks we listened, as we always will, to feedback from our stakeholders," said Leiweke. "While we have received overwhelmingly positive response regarding the direction Jeff Vinik is taking this franchise, we did hear from some fans regarding the traditions of black and a bolt on our pants. Thus, after consultation with the NHL and our design team, we are adding black as a third accent color and an elegant white bolt to our pant.

PhysicalGraffiti

Bolts STM
Jul 26, 2007
NY to TB

A lot of that had to do with STM people wearing them from what I saw. I never wore mine, but most people I saw wearing the blue had the STM patch on it.

I could be remembering it wrong since I dislike them so much, but I'm pretty sure there were people that hated the look and then got over it. Which I predicted. They added black and met with season ticket holders after they came out because people weren't thrilled.

I don't agree with the need for a new look for new owners, especially when the look is a ripoff of classic teams with a clip art logo slapped on. I don't think the team ever admitted it, and I reamed them on Twitter for the idiocy for what that's worth, but they started even wearing black thirds every time they played Toronto. That in my opinion is them admitting they're too similar to another team without saying it.

I could keep going, but I've said my peace before on the issue and all it does is make people think I'm a. an idiot because they don't agree or b. not a fan of the team because I don't like the jersey/logos.

Taking down our Cup banner I thought was in super poor taste as well. Our first Cup and it was a really unique banner. For some reason they thought they should make them all look similar?

People have things they're particular about. This is one of those things for me.

Edit: Thanks for the link Toad. I knew I remember people being pissed. I also remember saying at the time that with a fickle area like Tampa Bay, fans would get over their dislike quicker than most. I'm not one of those people though. They barely did anything though. Very minimal black and no victory stripes. Still not what most people wanted.

BoltSTH

Sep 4, 2008
Tampa
what s player does on the ice >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> what they wear.

I will happily wear a purple jersey, with yellow arms and white poker dots if it means going deep in the playoffs.

TheDaysOf 04

[ 2 6 ] [ 4 ]
Jun 23, 2007
NJ

2017-18 is our 25th season so now would be a great time.
Yep. Could do it just like the Ducks did for just one night.

DSC_0057165057400_slide.jpg

Another thing is because our new Adidas jersey look practically identical to what we've been using the past few seasons, I doubt it does too well in stores. Not really a need outside of the ordinary reasons to buy a jersey. But a special throwback by Adidas as well as our All-Star game ones I'm sure will have people opening their wallets.

berlin

04, 20, 21, CHAMPS
Jul 14, 2012
Kokomo
While I miss the black our current logo and jerseys are by far the best we've ever had.

TheDaysOf 04

[ 2 6 ] [ 4 ]
Jun 23, 2007
NJ
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad