News Article: Complete dysfunction at Hockey Québec

Toene

Y'en aura pas de facile
Nov 17, 2014
Not surprised....we live in a province where incompetence reigns at every level of public and private organization.
Is it incompetence, or is it corruption/collusion? After Commission Charbonneau, I don't trust many organizations, politicians or businessmen. It is possible that nepotism touches more than the construction industry? I think this is a business culture that is rampant in all North America, possibly the entire world. I'm sure if other states/provinces would do Charbonneau type commissions on various industries, they would discover how rampant nepotism and collusion are.

Reactions: dcyhabs

Sterling Archer

Sep 26, 2006
It’s too bad the junior system is in such shambles. When I was playing at an elite level sports in Quebec awhile back, the level of nepotism was palpable with excellent players being passed over for coaches, GM, president/etc. sons, nephews, cousins etc. failing up all the time. Not to mention the vitriol and discrimination against Anglo players. I would have hoped it changed but it only seems to have stayed the same or gotten worse.

Last edited:
Reactions: Toene

dcyhabs

May 30, 2008
Montreal
Is it incompetence, or is it corruption/collusion? After Commission Charbonneau, I don't trust many organizations, politicians or businessmen. It is possible that nepotism touches more than the construction industry? I think this is a business culture that is rampant in all North America, possibly the entire world. I'm sure if other states/provinces would do Charbonneau type commissions on various industries, they would discover how rampant nepotism and collusion are.

Corruption is worse in Quebec than in most of the ROC. I think the US has passed us in the last few years, they are really letting corruption eat their economy now, and most African/Eastern/S or C American countries are doing similarly largely because of interference from Europeans like the English here. "Colonization" normalizes corruption and it's hard to stop after the "colonizers" leave.

Toene

Y'en aura pas de facile
Nov 17, 2014
Corruption is worse in Quebec than in most of the ROC
Not that I disagree, but based on what? I don't see a lot of commissions and investigations being held anywhere else. Maybe QC is more corrupt, or less corrupt, but at least there's been political will to look at it.

Reactions: CoupeStanley

Toene

Y'en aura pas de facile
Nov 17, 2014
Was lazy and just google translated but here is the tl;dr :

Contradictory directives, written reprimands for peccadilloes, employees surreptitiously relieved of their files, micromanagement of veterans in office for several decades, lack of communication, climate of suspicion and conflicts between the management and long-time partners of the federation. These are all themes that came up during the interviews conducted with current or resigned staff members of Hockey Quebec.
These factors ended up creating a toxic work environment where there is constant mistrust between employees and general management, it is alleged.

Reactions: Le Barron de HF

EXPOS123

Jun 29, 2010

While corruption is obviously a huge problem, how do you explain Quebec "jewels" like Bombardier, SNC Lavalin, Valeant (now Bausch), Les Ailes de la Mode, Cirque de Soleil, Rona, etc...(hell just this week, a highly touted AI firm had to sell out to an American co.) having to either sell out because they didn't know how to expand properly or were not prepared for competition and had to either partner/sell out with others to avoid going bust all together.

That is just companies - i don't even want to begin to mention how government departments are run (healthcare, school commissions, city planning (construction), child services, government IT departments- i'm still trying to figure out what crackdowns and arrests UPAC has brought or how our government lawyers take more than 4 years to bring a case to justice only for the judge to throw it out because they took too long).

Last edited:

Favster

Jul 21, 2013
Montreal
When I played atom AA, the coach was Paul Menard. I'm 33 now but I will never forget that experience. It was so bad, when he coached Midget espoir later on, I refused to play for him and went straight to Midget AA. He did everything in his power to prevent me from playing AA until my father threatenned legal action.

He would constantly bench kids, 12 year old boys, in favor of his son, sometimes the kids would play 1 shift the entire game. I remember kids crying in the room and on the bench, he never once went to talk to them. He would yell at the top of his lungs if you made a mistake in a drill during practice. On top of that, he was extremely rude with most parents, including mine. We're talking about Atom here man, the idea is to get kids to love the game. A few years later, a bunch of guys on my team, including his own son, had moved on to other things.

All in all, I can confirm that Paul Menard is a sack of sh*t and I'm not surprised people are quitting.

Last edited:

MC94

May 13, 2018
With
Sergechev- Weber
Romonov-Petry

how could they not be?

Grate n Colorful Oz

Hutson Hawk
Jun 12, 2007
Hockey Mecca
While corruption is obviously a huge problem, how do you explain Quebec "jewels" like Bombardier, SNC Lavalin, Valeant (now Bausch), Les Ailes de la Mode, Cirque de Soleil, Rona, etc...(hell just this week, a highly touted AI firm had to sell out to an American co.) having to either sell out because they didn't know how to expand properly or were not prepared for competition and had to either partner/sell out with others to avoid going bust all together.

That is just companies - i don't even want to begin to mention how government departments are run (healthcare, school commissions, city planning (construction), child services, government IT departments- i'm still trying to figure out what crackdowns and arrests UPAC has brought or how our government lawyers take more than 4 years to bring a case to justice only for the judge to throw it out because they took too long).

L'arrêt Jordan is a killer.

The rule has exposed how fundamentally flawed and ill-equipped our justice system is.

Last edited:

Toene

Y'en aura pas de facile
Nov 17, 2014
When I played atom AA, the coach was Paul Menard. I'm 33 now but I will never forget that experience. It was so bad, when he coached Midget espoir later on, I refused to play for him and went straight to Midget AA. He did everything in his power to prevent me from playing AA until my father threatenned legal action.

He would constantly bench kids, 12 year old boys, in favor of his son, sometimes the kids would play 1 shift the entire game. I remember kids crying in the room and on the bench, he never once went to talk to them. He would yell at the top of his lungs if you made a mistake in a drill during practice. On top of that, he was extremely rude with most parents, including mine. We're talking a out Atom here man, the idea is to get kids to love the game. A few years later, a bunch of guys on my team, including his own son, had moved on to other things.

All in all, I can confirm that Paul Menard is a sack of sh*t and I'm not surprised people are quitting.
Thanks for sharing. This is a horror story.

Favster

Jul 21, 2013
Montreal
Thanks for sharing. This is a horror story.
It was pretty bad. It says a lot about hockey QC to put a man like that in his position. Trust me, I'm not the only person with a bad opinion of him, I can't see how they would'nt be aware of the person he is at the time they hired him.

Reactions: Toene

Toene

Y'en aura pas de facile
Nov 17, 2014
It was pretty bad. It says a lot about hockey QC to put a man like that in his position. Trust me, I'm not the only person with a bad opinion of him, I can't see how they would'nt be aware of the person he is at the time they hired him.
Do you know anyone in the board of directors? Do you think this kind of behaviour is more rampant than just this guy? I'm sure it is but I wonder how deep the rabbit hole goes.
I have a friend who was a goalie and was considered for Midget espoir but wasn't selected because of politics.

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018
With
Sergechev- Weber
Romonov-Petry

how could they not be?

You win some you lose some.

No point in thinking what could have been with Sergachev. He's gone and he just re-signed with Tampa.

Toene

Y'en aura pas de facile
Nov 17, 2014
Is there anyone else who played in the Hockey Québec system who's willing to share their experience? I imagined that here would be a good place to poll since it's the premier hockey forum in the world, and former young players stories are what would help illustrate the culture referenced in the aforementionned article.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad