Complaints about Game Ops and Marketing

Ruudukkopupuset

Mar 29, 2018
No longer does the smile of Saundrine ardor, neither does the charm of beautiful Melanie, I remember that thoroughbred Cyara and Danielle's cheek red. From yesterday have girls changed, with many beguiling sides gone missing. That natural charm does not die.

Come back Columbus Blue Jackets ice girls and be as you were, put away the make-up and be as you were before. We all miss you. What reflects on your faces today is the wish of money geezers, fulfilled when neon glows, removing criticality and paludificating humanity, drowning true values.

McKenna_B_Moon_Walk_WM.gif

Reactions: thebus88

thebus88

19/20 Columbus Blue Jackets: "It Is What It Is"
Sep 27, 2017
Michigan
#methree

With Gritty getting all the love recently, the answer is simple.

#BRINGBACKBOOMER

And bring him back with a lady....Boomette..

gocbj

Aug 3, 2007
C9
It's bad enough that we have to actually post the lyrics to Whoa oh oh oh oh oh oh oh oh oh on the scoreboard... but can they please re-time the goal song with the graphics. If anyone actually read the lyrics, they would be about 1 1/2 beats behind. Just drives me nuts........

MAHJ71

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 6, 2014
NWA 217
Sounds like the front office is getting the message . Hopefully Marty comes in and guts our game day experience , and models it to what Nashville has achieved .

Forgive my possible stupid question, but is the the Director of Service & Retention who oversees the Game Ops department?

EDIT: Reading the tweets it seems he did have a role in the game ops, so I'd say this is GREAT news :clap:

Double-Shift Lasse

Just post better
Dec 22, 2004
Exurban Cbus
Forgive my possible stupid question, but is the the Director of Service & Retention who oversees the Game Ops department?

EDIT: Reading the tweets it seems he did have a role in the game ops, so I'd say this is GREAT news :clap:

Also thread title says Marketing, and I'd say this fits in that area too. (I asked myself the same question.)

Reactions: CPTN71

KJ Dangler

Oct 21, 2006
Columbus

I would think if he’s brought in to increase ticket sales , he will have his hand on the presentation . I mean , the game day product reflects if people would want to come back ? Hopefully they take a flamethrower to the structure in place , and make the necessary changes . It’s embarrasing how bad the game day experience is right now

Reactions: Double-Shift Lasse

Doggy

Oct 11, 2011
Regarding players doing commercials, maybe the companies don't realize players are allowed to do commercials. I mean this has been an OSU town forever and I assume NCAA players are not allowed to do commercials so that's all the Columbus companies know.

Just trying to give them the benefit of the doubt.

JacketFanInFL

Brick by Brick
Mar 27, 2006
Central FL
Regarding players doing commercials, maybe the companies don't realize players are allowed to do commercials. I mean this has been an OSU town forever and I assume NCAA players are not allowed to do commercials so that's all the Columbus companies know.

Just trying to give them the benefit of the doubt.

Some marketing genius hired Rimer and even allowed him to (terribly) act to peddle cars for them. Makes me cringe every time.

MAHJ71

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 6, 2014
NWA 217
Of course it certainly helped to have an exciting team that goes to the SC finals in their first year. That was kind of an important factor.

Sure. But the product off the ice, in particular the game ops is not controlled by on-ice play.

The point is, their game ops and marketing is heads and shoulders above CBJ's and CBJ is just now starting to do something about it.

CharlotteJacket

Apr 11, 2013
Charlotte, NC
Sure. But the product off the ice, in particular the game ops is not controlled by on-ice play.

The point is, their game ops and marketing is heads and shoulders above CBJ's and CBJ is just now starting to do something about it.
I think this week has been a punch in the gut for the front office. With the Blue Jackets fighting to win the Metro, they played marquee matchups with the defending SC champions, then the current leaders in the Metro, and tomorrow, face at least by record, the best team in the NHL and there were/are going to be thousands of empty seats for games that should have easily been sellouts. Something in the way they market the team needs to change.

Last edited:

DJA

over the horizon radar
Sponsor
Apr 17, 2002
Beyond the Infinite
I think this week has been a punch in the gut for the front office. With the Blue Jackets fighting to win the Metro, they played marquee matchups with the defending SC champions, then the current leaders in the Metro, and tomorrow, face at least by record, the best team in the NHL and there were/are going to be thousands of empty seats for games that should have easily been sellouts. Something in the way they market the team needs to change.

Weekday games are never “easy sellouts” in this market (and most US markets), regardless of opponent. Plus, the Caps and Isles are still not “marquee opponents” in the eyes of the casual fan. The CBJ can draw decent weekday crowds for games like NYR, Pens, Leafs, maybe Chicago and Detroit. The crowd tomorrow will not be a sellout even though the best team in the league is coming in, it’s the nature of weekday live sports, not just in this market, but all across the country.

Reactions: Viqsi

CharlotteJacket

Apr 11, 2013
Charlotte, NC
Weekday games are never “easy sellouts” in this market (and most US markets), regardless of opponent. Plus, the Caps and Isles are still not “marquee opponents” in the eyes of the casual fan. The CBJ can draw decent weekday crowds for games like NYR, Pens, Leafs, maybe Chicago and Detroit. The crowd tomorrow will not be a sellout even though the best team in the league is coming in, it’s the nature of weekday live sports, not just in this market, but all across the country.
If you say so.

Sore Loser

Sorest of them all
Dec 9, 2006
Spokane, WA.

Agreed, Monday night games are going to be a tough sell, no matter who the opponent.

SuperGenius

For Duty & Humanity!
Mar 18, 2008

I think you're reaching a little here.

Attendance vs Washington was 15,701 and vs Islanders was 16,531. 86% and 91% respectively. I think those are respectable and both crowds seemed pretty lively. I expect another 86-90% tomorrow with the 7:30 start and TBL in town. Weekday sellouts are always a little tough in this town - and I doubt typical fans see games in mid-February as critical. I think marketing could be done differently, but it's not like we're talking about a half full building like we were just a few years ago.

CharlotteJacket

Apr 11, 2013
Charlotte, NC
I think you're reaching a little here.

Attendance vs Washington was 15,701 and vs Islanders was 16,531. 86% and 91% respectively. I think those are respectable and both crowds seemed pretty lively. I expect another 86-90% tomorrow with the 7:30 start and TBL in town. Weekday sellouts are always a little tough in this town - and I doubt typical fans see games in mid-February as critical. I think marketing could be done differently, but it's not like we're talking about a half full building like we were just a few years ago.
I have no idea what I'm looking at then. I see the attendance numbers from other successful teams and they're all at 100% or better. For a team and fanbase who have had as little success as we've had, you better believe this week was a big week (I never said critical). The excuse we get in the fall is Buckeye football holds numbers down, but wait til that's over. Well, it's over and with the best team we've ever had playing top shelf competition, it had to be a disappointing week to the bean counters.

Reactions: CPTN71

Sore Loser

Sorest of them all
Dec 9, 2006
Spokane, WA.
I have no idea what I'm looking at then. I see the attendance numbers from other successful teams and they're all at 100% or better. For a team and fanbase who have had as little success as we've had, you better believe this week was a big week (I never said critical). The excuse we get in the fall is Buckeye football holds numbers down, but wait til that's over. Well, it's over and with the best team we've ever had playing top shelf competition, it had to be a disappointing week to the bean counters.

There are maybe 4-6 teams in the league that always have a full house. Unfortunately, we aren't one of them. But we also aren't Florida or Arizona.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad